Droid x newbie, needing LOTS of help

myjake69

Reaction score
Hi, have had my droid for about 2 weeks, and am so lost! I want to know should i root this thing, and is there an easy way to do it, how do I create a folder to put info, pics, ect. in that is hidden, I have work info on here that people playing with my phone don't need to see. and my list of wanting to know just keeps growing. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome:

putting a . in front of a folder name will keep it hidden from the rest of the system.

as for rooting, its really up to u if u want to or not...

OP
M

myjake69

Reaction score
how do I create the folder, on my sd card, I read something about mounting the phone, what is that? and thank you

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi, have had my droid for about 2 weeks, and am so lost! I want to know should i root this thing, and is there an easy way to do it, how do I create a folder to put info, pics, ect. in that is hidden, I have work info on here that people playing with my phone don't need to see. and my list of wanting to know just keeps growing. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to the board. I would strongly suggest that you spend a lot of time reading threads about how the android system operates before giving too much thought to rooting. It is my opinion, and I've NEVER been wrong before (that was sarcasm BTW!!), that you need to fully understand the os and your phone thoroughly before getting involved in modifying the operating system. Using the information you will find on this forum you will be able to learn how to root your phone in such a way that if there is a problem, you will not be totally lost.

Aw, that all sounds too "preachy". Just enjoy your phone and root it when you feel comfortable doing so. :)

Go to the Droid X section and just start reading. You'll learn a lot and be able to enjoy your phone more.

Welcome aboard!!1

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just use Astro File Manager (free on market) as a file explorer to make folders

OP
M

myjake69

Reaction score
Thank you for your input on rooting, and your right I need to understand my phone first,

OP
M

myjake69

Reaction score
Ok, not to sound stupid, but how do I put a picture in a file I create on astro manager, I am so lost....and I know I probably didn't post this in the right spot. But I need simple direction, please