Droid X New user, need help. Please...

Treschic82

Reaction score
I just activated my DX 2 days ago. When I was initially promted to setup wifi, it recognized my home wifi connection but I decided not to set it up right then since I don't have my password memorized and didn't feel like getting up and going into the office to look. I was too busy playing with the new phone. Anyway, now every time I try to connect wifi, the phone reads: turning on... and then it reads: wifi, error. It absolutely WILL NOT connect to wifi. I saw my network on there the first day and now nothing. I have also received an update to the phone since I got it and was curious if this may be the issue. I don't know what I am doing or how to fix it. I even downloaded wifi manager and it tells me wifi is disabled, would you like to enable it? If I press yes, it reads enabling wifi but then it does nothing. I don't know how to do a master reset, nor do I think I want to because I have several things set to how I want them. However, if this is the only way to fix it, I gladly will. Someone, please help. :(

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
With the phone on id just yank the battery and wait a few mins then put it back in turn on ur phone and try that. Its like a soft reset without getting rid of anything. A co worker of minr has the x n that fixed his problems with connecting to our wifi at work

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

Freezetron

Reaction score
Have you tried other wifi networks? Have you done the android os update from vzw? Have you enabled the wirless via the system menu?

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
With the phone on id just yank the battery and wait a few mins then put it back in turn on ur phone and try that. Its like a soft reset without getting rid of anything. A co worker of minr has the x n that fixed his problems with connecting to our wifi at work

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

I just tried this with no luck. Thanks though.

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
Have you tried other wifi networks? Have you done the android os update from vzw? Have you enabled the wirless via the system menu?

Sent from my DROIDX

My os is running on 2.2 and the system menu is where I am trying to turn it on at..under wireless networks and settings. I can't even turn it on to scan.

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
I called VZW tech support and we did a master reset on the phone and it still doesn't work. I almost feel the OS update that came through an hour after I first turned the phone on fried my wifi. Now, I have to send in my brand spanking new phone for a refurbished one since we already sent in the rebates. What a load of crap. I am going to take it in to the VZW store early next week and see if they can help before I send it back. So beyond frustrated.

sandman1987

Reaction score
Have you tried to manually enter your ssid and connect that way? Go to settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> Add Wi-Fi network (this is under the Wi-Fi networks heading where your ssid would be listed if it auto found your home network) then enter your ssid, select your scurity and enter your key, and you should be good to go. I was thinking that when you first skipped the set up maybe it set to ignore that network (I don't know if it does this or not, but my laptop will do this).

Don't know if this will work or if you have already tried this, but its worth a shot before trading the phone in for a refurb. Good luck.

maderschramm

Reaction score
I dunno though, she did do a factory reset. You could try to sbf the phone...but that might be beyond your user range - it would be worth a shot though as it "re-updates" your phone, could fix the wifi. I'd do this before getting a refurb - my refurb's top button is broken.

I'd be more than happy to walk you through the sbfing process, I also have a very comprehensive tutorial as the second link in my signature.

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Have you tried to manually enter your ssid and connect that way? Go to settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> Add Wi-Fi network (this is under the Wi-Fi networks heading where your ssid would be listed if it auto found your home network) then enter your ssid, select your scurity and enter your key, and you should be good to go. I was thinking that when you first skipped the set up maybe it set to ignore that network (I don't know if it does this or not, but my laptop will do this).

Don't know if this will work or if you have already tried this, but its worth a shot before trading the phone in for a refurb. Good luck.

+1 on this! It seems like one of the settings is not what it was supposed to be.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
I have tried to manually add the ssid and pw but this did not help either.

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
I don't know what sbf means but I will do anything that might help.It sucks my husband's phone connects right away. Should we set up a time to get together for a walk through? Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

rosem119

Reaction score
Is it seeing your SSID? Go to settings, wireless and networks, wifi settings. If your network is showing, select it then press FORGET. Then try again.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

debdado

Reaction score
You folks who are willing to help out, and encourage, the newbie are terrific. I thought I was totally bricked and someone cared enough to stay with me and give suggestions, info, etc., til I got positive results. I am back on my Droid X thanks to support. You all rock!!!!dancedroid

OP
Treschic82

Treschic82

Reaction score
Is it seeing your SSID? Go to settings, wireless and networks, wifi settings. If your network is showing, select it then press FORGET. Then try again.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

No, it doesn't see my network. The only time it recognized it was when I first turned the phone on and completed the initial setup.