Droid X Makng me crazy....

SMMAssociates

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the FAQ of the month....

Overall, I've had the DroidX for a couple years, and when everything works, it's a fine phone. (My first cellphone was a Motorola trunk-mount!)

However, reliability has declined to zilch lately. Seems like it needs a re-boot (power down and then re-start) every day or two, and occasionally wanders off to the point that the battery has to be removed to force an even more conclusive re-boot.

Android Version: 2.3.4

System Version: 45.621.10.MB810.Verizon.en.US

AFAIK, all of the updates "pushed" have been installed since the first, although as I recall, the most recent involved going to the "DOS" interface to kick-start it.

Essentially, the thing is on 24/7. Rides on a charger from about 0600 to 1200-1300, and then on my belt or otherwise handy for the rest of the 24hr cycle. (I'm a "night people" :D.)

What seems to happen is that I'll go to use it - to look at the Weatherbug, for example, fire up a game, etc., or even answer a call, and the phone will either re-boot itself, or be frozen enough that I have to. Once in a while, it'll just re-boot in the middle of something (like Solitaire :) ) with no notice.

Wouldn't much care, but I know I've missed a couple incoming calls, and at wedding reception a while back found that the phone (camera mode) suddenly was dead, requiring the "battery out" re-boot. Missed the bride stuffing the cake into the groom's mouth.... I had just fired up the camera mode to see how things would work in there (light levels, etc.), and then powered it off.

(Normally, the phone's no substitute for my Nikon DX60, but it's seriously convenient.)

Battery life seems to be more or less normal, but once in a while it'll be dead when it shouldn't be. Might be relevant - this is the original battery - but I'm not seeing any indication on the "meter" that there's a problem.

However, once in a while, I'll be showing about half of the battery left, and then fire up a game for a few minutes, and poof, the "meter" is in the warning zone....

No great panic - I'd really like to just put a new battery in this thing than replace it - but I keep getting offers :D....

Any ideas?

TIA

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This phone is about four years old. Lol, it just keeps on ticking.

When is the last time you performed a factory reset? It may be time. You can head to our sister site droidxforums.com

There are guided for everything you'll need.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As phones get older they tend to bog down and some even to a point where it's almost unusable. A friend of mine recently retired his D4 and he's a heavy texter and gamer from time to time. The phone racked up alot of hours of use and it eventually caught up to the device. If he had chosen to stick with it, he would be factory resetting about every week just to get it to work decently.

So give a factory reset a try and see how long that holds up for. Otherwise it may be time to retire it for a newer device.

P

promo87

Well, I can see you are experiencing a number of problem with your smartphone and I guess some of the member over here has pointed you the right direction where you can get rid of all this miseries i.e. factory reset !! And for battery problem I'll suggest after you did the factory reset try installing some battery saver apps like du-battery saver or battery doctor. Look I know you are pretty much familiar why battery problem keep on occurring with the Android i.e. because of the background application keep on running and it drains battery out !! What these battery saver do is they clear the background application which keep on running i.e. it will not close it immediately but after regular interval, they also switch the data connection on and off according your using habits and which result you in drawing some more out of your battery, i.e. it can be used for listening music or playing games or...... sometime when you just keep on trying to switch your phone on just to make calls then again it can help you in getting some extra call out of it. aah I gone too deep to make you understand about the use of the battery savers .... try using it and factory reset your device.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
With the firmware version, you took the last update VZW sent out (45.621.10.MB810.Verizon.en.US).
4.5.621.MB810.verizon.en.us is the previous version, and the lesser of two evils.
I would SBF back to the earlier version, or one before that, then SBF to the 4.5.621.
I also have the DX, and once I removed that last update and got back to 4.5.621, all was good.\
Since that last update was as unexpected as a tidal wave on the moon.
Roll back and do a fresh update on your own, RSDLite is an excellent choice to SBF the DX.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
With the firmware version, you took the last update VZW sent out (45.621.10.MB810.Verizon.en.US).
4.5.621.MB810.verizon.en.us is the previous version, and the lesser of two evils.
I would SBF back to the earlier version, or one before that, then SBF to the 4.5.621.
I also have the DX, and once I removed that last update and got back to 4.5.621, all was good.\
Since that last update was as unexpected as a tidal wave on the moon.
Roll back and do a fresh update on your own, RSDLite is an excellent choice to SBF the DX.

This mirrors my experience with the DX also. I would roll back to the firmware before the final update.