1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid X Liberty 2.0.1 to Official Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wesford9, May 13, 2011.

1. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

I am running Liberty 2.0.1 on my Droid X (Froyo 2.2.1). Whenever the official Gingerbread update comes from Verizon, what do I need to do to make sure the update goes smoothly? Should I flash back to stock and then un-root, or what?

Thanks!!
  2. leonozug

leonozug New Member

SBF to stock. That's the only way you can recieve the update. I would wait until you actually hear it's officially been released to SBF though.
  3. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

Thanks for the reply,

I am still pretty new to this and all of the terminology, but what exactly are the steps for "SBFing", whatever that stands for? I have searched for the steps and I have found so many sources and different methods. Do you have a short, simple few steps that you could tell me on how to SBF? I am pretty comfortable flashing roms, as I have switched between Liberty and Apex several times.

Thanks again,
    Wes
  4. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Here ya go man, this is how I learned to do it. Has the links you need for the files too.

5. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

You're my hero. preshate it!
  6. leonozug

leonozug New Member

You got it man. It'll bring your X back to stock. Just follow the exact same thing Randy does. After you SBF it, do a factory reset and clear cache. Good luck with that!
  7. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

Before I get started with this, I know that I did a full backup of my phone before I rooted and flashed Liberty on my phone. Would restoring that backup, and then un-rooting with Z4 root set me back to stock? All I have done since rooting is flash Liberty and Apex a few times. I did change some of the system files such as my notification slider background (took the transparent one from Apex and put it in the Liberty Green GB Theme).

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like I could just restore back to that original backup, and then un-root. Then I'd be good to go with getting the OTA update from Verizon when it comes.
  8. leonozug

leonozug New Member

You can go restore to the original stock .340 rooted you started out on, but as far as I know, you can't unroot with Z4Root. When you rooted your X on froyo, you clicked "premanent root". As far as I know, you can only SBF to get rid of root on the X. On the OG Droid you could unroot with Superoneclick, but not with the X. Also, if you want to take the Gingerbread OTA when it drops, you have to be unrooted, with EVERY single piece of bloatware intact according to P3Droid. SBF'ing it would be the most sure fire way you will receive the Gingerbread update.
  9. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Hold up...just looked at my girlfriends Droid X, she's on .340 with Z4Root....is was wrong about the un-root button. lol

Like I said, long as all the original files are intact, I imagine you should be ok. Not positive, cause everywhere I've looked they say to SBF. But you never know, it may work.
  10. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Yeah I think it's best to sbf just in case any Bloat was removed or other unforeseen modifications. Juuuust to be safe

Sent from my Liberated DROID2
  11. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

Haha okay, well maybe SBF'ing would be the best option, just to make sure that EVERYTHING is back to stock like you said. I read somewhere that you can run an update.zip that does the same thing as an SBF, and it saves the time of having to do all of those steps. Check out this link and let me know what you think:

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Like I said, I'm a noob at a lot of this. Seems that there is definitely more than one way to skin the cat. ;)

Thanks agian bro
  12. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Yeah you can maderstcok to. 340, I gave a guy a link to it earlier because he didn't want to SBF. But I have heard it's best to SBF, maderstcok can sometimes have glitches in it according to some posts I've read. Don't quote me on that though. lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  13. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

Okay, I will most likely wait until the OTA update hits, then update.zip to .340. If I can't get pull the update, then I can always SBF i guess. Thanks guys.
  14. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Best thing you can do is try the maderstcok to go back to .340 and see if the OTA takes. It may for all I know. lol

If not, then definitely SBF it. What sucks is nobody really knows exactly when the GB OTA is happening. lol
  15. wesford9

wesford9 New Member

lol yeah exactly. I've been stalking the moto forum for the past month waiting for Matt to say something about it.. people there are anxious, and things seem more positive lately. I feel like Verizon wants to get the X2 out before they release GB for the X. I just want Netflix on my X! Lol
Search tags for this page

liberty 2.0 gingerbread