Droid X is a disaster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Reaction score
Signed up here to try and get some help with my X... I've had it since the end of May and this whole summer has been one issue after another. I don't believe this model is a pre-production as the ESN didn't come up with any info, the phone was mailed to me new in the box with all the accessories as well, not used by anyone beforehand for testing. I think the easiest thing is to just list all the problems and hopefully you guys might be able to help me with some. Verizon employee customer service, although much better than standard cust. svc, is still a just bunch of chimps answering the phones. They can send me a new phone but I'm not sure I want one.

OK well here we go:
-3G signal cuts out, I live about a mile from Verizon Wireless headquarters and I've owned dozens of phones without an issue.

-The phone loses service often and the X just loves to announce this as loudly as possible with the LOSS OF SERVICE message blaring out of my pocket at all hours of the day

-I often have the sync icon displayed up top even if I disable sync. Seems to seriously bog down the processor

-My Gmail will not sync, I manually set it up as a 3rd party email account and it will work marginally. My AOL account works fine though.

-I get no voicemail notification, I often miss calls without the phone ringing or displaying the missed call icon, I only find out someone left a message when I call my voicemail about once a day.

-Call quality is marginal, forget trying to use speakerphone or trying to talk when it's connected to the car dock. Clarity is bad and I often have to repeat myself. It's embarrassing.

-The phone overheats. It literally gets hot to the touch, in it's defense it is the summer though. I have gotten the blinking LED warning a few times, and it is not while the car is docked on the windshield. It's often when I'm using PDANet

-When using the Navigator or Google Maps I occasionally am unable to connect to the GPS satellites, enough so that it's unreliable for trying to get directions or use it for navigation (it will cut out halfway through your trip just when you need it).

-I cannot turn the GPS on/off on the home screen, I get the message "GPS lock is enable" whatever the hell that means... The sync button on the home screen turns on/off, but like I mentioned it seems to have no effect on the phone actually trying to sync

-It has some serious software lag, I mean it performs like the Eris (not hating on you Eris guys, but this phone is much pricier and should perform accordingly). Often when the screen is off and I hit the home key (I have turned off the screen lock) it takes sometimes 4 or 5 button presses to get it to respond. Starting up the phone takes a good 2 minutes, shutting it down takes even longer.

-When using Pandora it often freezes (probably because of 3G issues and others above).

I tried to keep the list brief, and for all applicable issues I have tried pretty much every possible option. I've turned settings on and off, done hard resets, gone through every setting and every option you can enable/disable on this phone. The only applications I've installed are Google Maps, Google Tracks, Pandora, PDANet, and Google Sky Map. I have dialed *22899 numerous times, had the phone software reset, called customer service about it etc. I'm hoping theres something I missed and that you guys may be able to offer some help. This is my third Android phone and each one has left me frustrated and ready to smash it against a wall. They seem to do 'everything' but cannot do any one thing well. Help me take back control of this phone! dancedroid

truckrod

Reaction score
With all the problems mostly with the signal! And if you have *228 op 2 also ?! Then It sounds like the phone needs reflashed sbf. If you are familiar with this? There is a forum called manually adb, sbf, your droidx. That's my thought

OP
M

Mr. X

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply... yeah I just noticed you're right about all the issues relating to the signal. Guess it helps to make a simple list sometimes. I have done the *228 option 2 as well, but I have not looked into reflashing the sbf.

I'm going to try and install the Froyo update and see if maybe that resets some parameters and gets my signal/connection issues fixed.

Could it be a bad cell tower or something? I assume Verizon would be on top of all the towers in town since the VZW Headquarters is right down the road, and I have also noticed all these issues when I'm at school in lower Manhattan (where Verizon World HQ is).

goracer

Reaction score
Phone overheating is enough to warrant an exchange. When my BB overheated it only lasted about a month before it finally went.

Do "NOT" install Froyo. They will void your warranty. Just have it exchanged. All your issues validate an exchange.

czm2000

Reaction score
Phone overheating is enough to warrant an exchange. When my BB overheated it only lasted about a month before it finally went.

Do "NOT" install Froyo. They will void your warranty. Just have it exchanged. All your issues validate an exchange.

Words of wisdom.

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

+1! This all DEF sounds like a phone issue so I would exchange it. Also wondering how you got the phone so early..?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Signed up here to try and get some help with my X... I've had it since the end of May....

Had the X since the end of May? How?

Oh, and I agree...return it for a warranty replacement.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Signed up here to try and get some help with my X... I've had it since the end of May and this whole summer has been one issue after another. I don't believe this model is a pre-production as the ESN didn't come up with any info, the phone was mailed to me new in the box with all the accessories as well, not used by anyone beforehand for testing. dancedroid

Like the few posts before me...since the end of May?

luv2increase

Reaction score
End of may??? Uh oh. It looks like the Apple fanboy slipped up. That is 2 months before the phone came out. I may have understood if u said June. That could have just been a mistake, but since u said may, I believe u to be a troll in a not-so-clever disguise.

Also, every phone has bad apples. That is why u r supposed to get a new one sent to u if u r having issues.

Why u didn't return the phone after having all those problems for so long is beyond me, odd, and telling of ur true motive here with this defamatory thread.

I don't even believe that u do indeed have a Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

zonaRSX

Reaction score
End of may??? Uh oh. It looks like the Apple fanboy slipped up. That is 2 months before the phone came out. I may have understood if u said June. That could have just been a mistake, but since u said may, I believe u to be a troll in a not-so-clever disguise.

Also, every phone has bad apples. That is why u r supposed to get a new one sent to u if u r having issues.

Why u didn't return the phone after having all those problems for so long is beyond me, odd, and telling of ur true motive here with this defamatory thread.

True. And he has AOL. Somebody knock him out please

LunaImages

Reaction score

Yep..........

tgallo

Reaction score
Your claims are not passing the sniff test, Mr. X.

If your Dad is really a high level corporate employee, do you really think it's a good idea to come onto a public message board and trash their flagship product?

And if dear old Dad really is a high level corporate employee, wouldn't Dad be able to help you deal with your problems. Why are you on this board complaining?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Your claims are not passing the sniff test, Mr. X.

If your Dad is really a high level corporate employee, do you really think it's a good idea to come onto a public message board and trash their flagship product?

And if dear old Dad really is a high level corporate employee, wouldn't Dad be able to help you deal with your problems. Why are you on this board complaining?
Exactly. If Dad was a high level blah blah blah, he'd have a replacement in his hands within minutes. Man the ships, the BS flag is at full staff!!

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Why not have daddy take it to work and have it replaced already?

Status
Not open for further replies.