Droid X improvement suggestions...

hemetpools

Reaction score
In my quest to get a better understanding of my new Droid X, i have discovered this website to have the latest news and discussions about my new phone/computer/companion/everything! While this phone is the most awesome thing I've ever seen, there are areas i think it can be improved, as I'm sure you do, also. If this site comes up first on a Google search, i suspect the good folks at Google will hear the voices on this site when looking for ways to improve on the next update. For this reason, i would like to request a category on this site dedicated to suggestions for improvement, so that we might contribute in some way to making our phones more practical, reliable and user friendly. If this has already been done, please lead me in the right direction. If not:

My first gripe... in the call history, it is most irritating to have every call listed separately, ie. I've called my wife/secretary 6 times throughout the day...instead of making this one entry, every call to her phone is listed separately, cluttering my call history, making it impossible to quickly browse and search this "page".

If anyone knows a way to change these setting, that would be great.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not as popular as the Forum is, I highly doubt Google even looks at it for checking out what people want in their phones.

There is somewhere a link that you can report suggestions/issues to Google, but I can't find it. Maybe somebody else will drop the link in on this thread.

mjforte

Reaction score
Do you have the 2.2 froyo update for your Droid X? I remember before I had froyo on my Droid 1 it would have the calls listed separately but after froyo it would group calls to the same person in one entry.

OP
H

hemetpools

Reaction score
Not sure what FroYo is, but i do have the latest update as of 2 days ago.

Also, ...Thoughts on using taskkiller?

I have had issues with freezing when using media player combined with taskkiller...

mjforte

Reaction score
Ok if you have the update from 2 days ago then you most likely have Android 2.2 or its nickname froyo (which stands for frozen yogurt.) Supposedly task killers no longer work correctly on froyo and it is my belief that a task killer is not needed. Android does a good job of task management on its own. See if uninstalling the task killer gets rid of your freezing problem.

OP
H

hemetpools

Reaction score
Thank you for that. I will uninstall and report back.

Also, I've noticed a number of complaints against the preinstalled Google Calendar. When adding a new event from the phone, the event disappears within a minute. You can actually sit there and watch it disappear...? It doesn't happen when entered from a computer, only when entered from the phone...Have you heard about this?

mjforte

Reaction score
Hmm I haven't seen the issue with the calendar you're talking about.

OP
H

hemetpools

Reaction score
Yeah, if you're one with interest in helping people resolve these kinds of issues, maybe "google it" and do some research on the subject. Would love to resolve this issue. I have seen, again, a large number of complaints while trying to find a fix. If you learn anything, would be grateful for suggestions.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not sure what FroYo is, but i do have the latest update as of 2 days ago.

Also, ...Thoughts on using taskkiller?
I've been a long time supporter of task killers up until recently when I got my X.
The ongoing debate is whether or not they are necessary. In a perfect world, no, they aren't needed. But sometimes you have an app that just won't exit/close properly and a task killer comes in handy. Some say they are good for battery life, others suggest not so. Killing one rogue app is ok, but killing everything, including core system app, may actually make battery life worse for the mere fact that some of these process will have to "re-start" in order for the phone to function propeprly. And restarting these processes uses CPU and battery...thus making battery life less.

The problem I have is hardware based. With the Droid 1, I feel there simply wasn't enough onboard RAM to handle a true multi-tasking effort. Once you get down to roughly 30-40 mb of available RAM, things definitely slow down...noticeably.
Now it is true that the Android OS will free up memory as needed, and I don't argue that fact. My issue with the process is that it doesn't free up that memory fast enough. Even if you're rooted. over-clocked..have all kinds of system tweaks...it simply takes too long for the OS to make things snappy again. Remember, this is/was my personal experience, but I know others share the same grief.

Moving on to the Droid X, I feel the phone does a MUCH better job at keeping memory free or making it available when necessary. With both phones on 2.2, I tried to figure an alternate reason why, but kept coming back to "it's gotta be the hardware specs on the X that make it better."

I have used a task killer on my X. On the first day I got it. Probably just out of habit. But honestly, haven't used it since and the phone hasn't slowed down once.

My advice for task killers is...use one if you feel you need it. But try going without for awhile and see how things go first. I think you'll find with the Droid X, you'll probably never need one except for those rare instances of a 3rd party app not closing properly.

michelle4439

Reaction score
Originally posted by mjforte
I remember before I had froyo on my Droid 1 it would have the calls listed separately but after froyo it would group calls to the same person in one entry.

I have the new froyo update and my recent contacts are still listed seperately. They are not grouped together.

Last edited: