Droid X how to's

mcs31872

Reaction score
I am new to droid x just got it about 4 days ago. I have installed the launcher pro.. don't know if I really needed it and if I don't want it what do I do? I am trying to do whatever I can to preserve battery life.. I have everything off that I don't need at the time.. bluetooth..wifi etc. I keep stopping applications but they seem to find there way back on.. what can I do about that? I have downloaded a couple of ringtones but don't know how to set them as a ringtone.. they just play in my playlist and are in my download folder not my ringtone folder and I don't know how to put them there. Anything I should install as far as apps.? Someone give me the run down on how to work this phone . Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
in my sig theres a link for new DX users to get started..

Launcher Pro is a home replacement so its gonna have a whole different look

dont worry about apps running in teh background - theres a link in my guide to explain that

use ringdroid to help set ringtones

OP
M

mcs31872

Reaction score
where do I get ringdroid.. ? If I find that I don't like Launcher pro can I go back to the default home page? If I don't want apps running in the background.. is there a way to keep them from starting back up after I have stopped them already? I get tired of going and hitting stop all during the day.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ringdroid is on the market

just uninstall launcher pro if you want to and it will go away

again, reading androidology in that link or link 7 in my sig - let them run in the background - its better than trying to keep stopping them

OP
M

mcs31872

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the androidology thing. Any tips or tricks that you would like to share.. What are some good/cool apps. that I should know about? I got the ringdroid.. it worked for what I wanted.. thanks.

lterry913

Reaction score
Read what was suggested and most of the time if something keeps starting its because its resources are needed for another program to work correctly...Some apps draw from other apps resources...so if you kill or stop them it takes extra battery to get them started up again... there are a few bad apps that run when not needed and you will eventually figure that out by watching but oververall the system takes care of everything on it's own .

zonaRSX

Reaction score
Welcome to the X family. There is plenty on this forum from what I have learned. The search feature works wonders, use it! I know there's a top 5 apps thread floating around here somewhere, search for that also, I've already picked up some awesome apps from it. Enjoy!

OP
M

mcs31872

Reaction score
Well I really don't know what type of apps to look for or what I should/need to use. I was looking for a good free mp3 app .. the one that I had didn't work well at all so I uninstalled it from my phone.. if you downloaded a song from it all it would play is like the first start of it even if it did that much. Any suggestions?

Scubamike

Reaction score
Longer cord...

For those of us with kids or who were kids, remember the line from The Brave Little Toaster where the lamp says "We need a longer cord!"? That was my complaint with the Droid X. I found a three foot USB extension cable that works perfectly to extend the charging cable. It seems so simple, but it took me a while to stumble across it. I hope this helps others.

lterry913

Reaction score
I too found an extension at my local computer store...
6 feet long...mp3 music is name of an app and
there is also fildo in market for downloading music...remember an average song is a little over 3minutes long or at least 3 to 5 megabytes or more, if you choose to download anything smaller is is probably just a sample of the song. You can also tranfer music fro pc or ipod to phone just takes alittle work you can use aps for this or connect phone and do drag and drop, search the forum for instructions if need help...but definately read tips and tricks for android on internet it is most helpful

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the androidology thing. Any tips or tricks that you would like to share.. What are some good/cool apps. that I should know about? I got the ringdroid.. it worked for what I wanted.. thanks.

you really only need to do two things. one...uninstall launcher pro and install ADW launcher (in the market for free) lol much better than launcher pro. Two...just let your phone do its thing. no need for task killers. you do more harm than good when ur constantly killing apps.

Last edited:
OP
M

mcs31872

Reaction score
Why is ADW launcher better than launcher pro.. I am just asking because I really have no clue ...lol. what does one do that the other doesn't?

OP
M

mcs31872

Reaction score
Tell me of you all's best apps. that you like a lot.. I don't really know what kind of apps to look for or not to look for.. what apps are a waste of time and what apps aren't. ?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Man this is like 21 questions lol. But dude dont worry man just search these forums or the net for top android apps and thats what i did. As for task killers either learn what not to kill, which are plenty of things if youre running stock, or dont use one at all android os takes care of that. And as for ADW launcher i have to disagree but hey its just me, its up to you. You could download that and also get homeswitcher to switch between home replacements or whatever theyre called. As for good apps to have i have to say are some organizational tools like 'apps organizer'(allows you to organize apps into one neat icon sized widget according to types) and 'OI file manager'(allows you to browse your phone's/sd card's files). As for 'cool' apps get gmote if you would like to control your laptop or desktop via wifi network, maybe you would like to tether your laptop/pc to the interwebz via your phone? use either easytether or pdanet. Barcode scanner(self explanatory), zedge(download ringtones and wallpapers for your phone) and sms popup(if you like texting i recommend this one) are other cool apps. I would also suggest replacing the stock web browser with Dolphin HD its just better and 'faster' but now they require your email so...yeah, and also maybe getting rockplayer its another video player that tends to work better then the stock one and also could play other types of files that are not supported by the stock videoplayer. As for games thats up to you and you could find other apps that could help you do some things faster or better but theres tons of apps out there just search for what you need and not what you hear is 'cool'.