Droid X has average signal loss when compared to other phones

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Guys and gals, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a small issue with the phone signal reception with the Droid X. I put a DB measuring app on my phone( Real Signal ) and experimented with techniques of holding the phone and its impact on signal strength. Here it is in a nutshell: When you hold the phone in a normal position, with most of the top half of the phone exposed, the signal is great. I got a -78db in my location. When I moved my hand up to a very high position, covering the top with my fingers, the db's went down to around -95. I did this 5 times in a row to confirm it. So the bottom line is that if you are blocking the antenna, you might lose a significant amount of signal. For example, if the only usable Verizon antenna is on your right and you are holding the phone up to your left ear, your head will block some of the signal. The obvious solution is to first hold the phone in a normal manner, leaving most of the top part ( where the antenna is, I presume ) open to receive the signal. If you are getting a poor signal when it is to your ear, try turning 180 degrees. You might have an antenna that is being blocked. This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.

rothnic

Reaction score
This happens in all phones because your hand attenuates the signal. However, with the iPhone it was a more pronounced drop. Check out the Anandtech Droid X review that shows the numbers.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I suppose with any wireless device there is a chance of blocking its connection, however although this is similar in a way to the iPhone issue, it is very far off. An antennae on the top is a pretty good spot because not many people hold their phones by the top part, much better than the left-handed issue. Plus your studies show that you might loose some signal but the signal isn't shorted and dropped so that is good. Nice of you to study this though! Maybe Steve Jobs is right when he said every smart phone has this problem, haha.

OP
J

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Jobs

I was going to add a pithy comment about Steve Jobs, but I kind of restrained myself. However, his comment about "holding it differently", really turned me off to Apple.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
I find it odd that the OP entitles the thread "Iphone like antenna problem" but the last sentence states:
This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.

As other posters stated this would happen to probably any phone that wraps the antennae in the body of the phone, the art in the design it to put it where the majority of users would hold it and not cause signal degradation.

R

RETG

I tried squeezing my BB last night and no loss in signal, but holding it at the top dropped about 5. However, I would never hold the phone in this position to either talk or browse.

ewells2420

Reaction score
I actually just noticed this too last night. Im pretty sure I know why that hump is there now. They packed the wireless and phone antennas in there.

Same thing happens with wireless when connected to a router.

garath

Reaction score
The difference is, not many people would normally hold the phone by the top when talking whereas many people hold the phone by the bottom side when talking.

Darkseider

Reaction score
There is a distinct difference between signal loss due to attenuation and service loss, as in the iPhone's case, due to attenuation.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.

So why post that title?

maxnicks

Reaction score
Hey all, Jimbo is actually Steven Jobs' secret Android Identity. He's attempting to get external validation prior to making a SMASHING good news release.

Jimbo, I'm just yanking on you. In no way was I meaning any disrespect.

klipsch2345

Reaction score
You can get the iPhone to drop calls by shorting the antenna with a finger. Nothing like the antenna performance of the Droid X. This thread was clearly for attention...

thelion

Reaction score
I actually just noticed this too last night. Im pretty sure I know why that hump is there now. They packed the wireless and phone antennas in there.

Same thing happens with wireless when connected to a router.

Uh, no. The hump is there because of the manual shutter for the camera.

Every smart phone has a "dead" spot where, if you grab the phone there, you drop signal.

The issue with the iPhone 4 is that the "dead" spot is in a location that nearly everyone holds their phone!

OP
J

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
No Attention Needed!!

The post was to show that the X does lose signal if held in a certain manner. Should have titled it differently. I am a charred hulk right now.