Droid X GPS without cellular question

Bailie

Reaction score
so can you use to GPS if you don't have cell service?? if I'm going overseas and don't have GSM service can i still use GPS?

The answer is sometimes. In some new update I have noticed that google will cache maps. BUT, not for the nav version. So you get the topdown route but not the voice directions with the overhead view. If you dont have the cached map, then you are SOL. I do also have MAPS(-) which has saved the day a few times. You also cant get routes without wifi or service.

hope this helps

kevinkar

Reaction score
If you want a GPS without the phone service, your only best course of action is to get a GPS. They are so cheap compared to the phone and small enough to ALSO carry with you, there's no reason to not get one.

Sure, you can still use the phone as a PDA only over Wi-Fi and connect to get maps and stuff but, out of range of an open network, you're hosed. A GPS with pre-loaded maps that only needs satellite signals is way better than what you (the OP) are suggesting. It's not worth the troubles or possible downside to attempt to rely on the non-networked phone.

Get an inexpensive GPS and use that instead.