Droid X FroYo Loss of Root

darthrogue

Reaction score
I used EasyRoot to Root my droid X back when I was running 2.1, and after I upgraded to 2.2, I lost root. The superuser icon is still there, and both Universal Androot and EasyRoot both say that I have root, but yet none of my root apps have root access. Anybody got ideas?

fwaggle

Reaction score
You didn't backup su to /system/xbin/su so it'd keep it's suid privileges. As far as I know the only way to get root at the moment is to SBF back to 2.1, re-root, and repeat the process.

I could be wrong on that though. :(

OP
darthrogue

darthrogue

Reaction score
I hope for my sake that you are wrong... Good thing I made a titanium backup before I upgraded... Also, anybody want to make me some basic instructions on how to restore? I've only gone forward before... I know how to use RDS Lite, as I've used it to flash SPRecovery to my Droid 1 before, just want someone to tell me exactly what I have to do and what I have to download. Thanks in advance...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you follow the instruction from the link on the main page you can get the new updated even with rooting and have your root after. Worked great on mine. (So Far)

OP
darthrogue

darthrogue

Reaction score
If you follow the instruction from the link on the main page you can get the new updated even with rooting and have your root after. Worked great on mine. (So Far)

I already have 2.2... I just don't have root and will have to flash back to 2.1 and root, and go to 2.2...

Anybody want to give me some RDS Lite instructions?

DROID VADAR

Reaction score
fix your root

To anyone that has run into this problem I have a solution. This is for everyone that missed the step on keeping your root access. If you have su in xbin and still won't work this will work for you.

(Open terminal emulator) type the following:
/system/xbin/su
Then you should see a #
Run "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"
Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su.bak"
Run "cd /system/xbin/"
Run "cp su ../bin/"

Then you should have your root access again!dancedroid
and one more thing, don't type the word run or put the " " in this code

OP
darthrogue

darthrogue

Reaction score
Thanks... I already managed to get myself 2.2 and some root, though it took me a while...

I used birdman's method after running an SBF on my phone

I then used these commands in the ADB shell
"mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"
"mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"

I then installed the 2.2 update, and I still have root

Make sure you restore your apps BEFORE updating... As this is a leaked release, you don't have access to the full app market...

This post will be placed in a new thread to assist people who want to keep their root while updating... links will be placed for birdman's instructions

nathank

Reaction score
To anyone that has run into this problem I have a solution. This is for everyone that missed the step on keeping your root access. If you have su in xbin and still won't work this will work for you.

/system/xbin/su
Then you should see a #
Run "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"
Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su.bak"
Run "cd /system/xbin/"
Run "cp su ../bin/"

Then you should have your root access again!dancedroid
and one more thing, don't type the word run or put the " " in this code

So I tried that first part
/system/xbin/su
But I get this error: /system/xbin/su: not found

jjordo1

Reaction score
I tried to paste the su in xbin using root explore and it would not let me put it in there before I did the update. Now i do not have root acces either and getting the same /system/xbin/su: not found message I guess its because its not there is there a way to get it there after I already updated and then use the emulator code??

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing but since Terminal Emulator says su not found, you still are not rooted. Moved to Rescue Squad Rooted section for further assistance.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
found this guide, see if it will help

You can use root explorer instead for this step: you just need to move su to /xbin from /bin.
FROM A ROOTED PHONE:

1. Run "adb shell"

2. Run "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system"

3. Run "mv /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"

4. Copy p3droid's update.zip to your sdcard

5. Reboot into recovery (power down - hold volume down and home button and press the power button)

6. Run update.zip

jjordo1

Reaction score
just a dumb question easyroot says its compatibe do you think it would work?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can not honestly tell you it would or would not. You can try it.

jjordo1

Reaction score
So I did the easy root it says im rooted but i cannot run any programs that require root acces any ideas would be greatly apreciated I don"t really need root right now but the fact that i might not be able to have it doesnt sit to well with me alos did I need to delete anything before trying that method again everything from previously being rooted was still on it