Droid X/Froyo Camera and Camcorder Issue

charity101

Reaction score
Device: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon
Country / Language: USA
OS / Browser / build number (if applicable): Android 2.2 / Froyo

Where can I report an issue with either Motorola or Google concerning the Droid X and Froyo release?

Ever since installing Froyo (Android 2.2), I have encountered spurious issues with both the Camcorder and camera function.

1. Camcorder - When I select the camcorder, the software simply brings me back to the menu screen. To fix, I need to power cycle the phone. Then it works until it doesn't.

2. Camera - I took several pictures. They showed up in my gallery as invalid files. I had some funny icon instead of the picture. Again, to fix, I power cycled the phone and the camera worked.

3. Another observation is that it seems like my 3G connection sometime disconnects randomly even though I am stationary in a known good 3G reception area

4. Today I was not receiving email notifications (or the email) until I power cycled my phone.

Not sure I can attribute these to Froyo, but it is pointing in that direction.

thuktun

Reaction score
Me, too

2. Camera - I took several pictures. They showed up in my gallery as invalid files. I had some funny icon instead of the picture. Again, to fix, I power cycled the phone and the camera worked.
I'm having this same problem. It was working before I installed the update, it's not working now.

I looked at the "funny icon" pictures after connecting to my PC using a USB cable and the picture files are zero-length, completely empty. The phone shows the picture after I take it for review, then proceeds to lose it. It's really getting annoying, as I can't apparently take pictures anymore.

OP
C

charity101

Reaction score
Have you tried power cycling the phone? I'd be curious to see if this fixed the problem, at least after power up. I ended up uninstalling many apps because I wasn't sure if one of them could be doing something.
Unlike apple, there probably is no way to ensure that an app doesn't mess with the phone's functionality.

Seoulsearer

Reaction score
Camcorder froze that function open. Couldn't access any function keys for that app. Finally got back home, but then camera/camcoder app not responding.
Hard reboot, then it worked. Other functions seemed to work, too. Guess it just needed a little kick.

Flopolopagus

Reaction score
Droid X: android 2.2; verizon 2.3.151

I am having a problem with my camcorder as well:
-Camcorder function starts fine
-once I hit the record icon OR hit the shutter button on phone itself, the camcorder crashes, goes back to home screen

After I rebooted the phone, it recorded. Then, when browsing the camcorder options and effects, it crashed again.

This is really frustrating. I even used "Advanced App Killer" to stop all background apps before I tried recording. Phone is brand new.