Droid X freezing, camera not working, etc...

dirtgurly

Reaction score
ok, first & foremost I admit, I'm not very technologically savy. I don't know I have been having issues with my Droid X for about a week, minor issues for longer than that. First of all, my GPS Navigation quit "following" me a few months ago. It will give me the directions, but the blue arrow will not follow my position while driving. Took it to Verizon, they said they can't do anything but completely reset phone and "See" if that works. Meh. I said no.
So now, starting a couple weeks ago, my camera starts going wonky. I will take a pic, then go to Gallery to look at pics, and sometimes it will say there "Are no pictures to display", or it will just not display the pics I just took.
About a week ago, my phone started completely freezing, whether I'm on the browser, in an app, in Facebook, whatever. It will just freeze. Can't turn it off, can't go to home page, nothing works except taking battery out and putting it back in. This particular problem has become more frequent in the past few days. Sometimes it gets hot on the bottom back part of the phone. Sometimes the phone will act like it's turning off, but then go back to my home page. I really don't want to have to have Verizon reset my phone, or get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of these problems?! Please help and thank you!! :confused:

NJHeart2Heart

Reaction score
ok, first & foremost I admit, I'm not very technologically savy. I don't know I have been having issues with my Droid X for about a week, minor issues for longer than that. First of all, my GPS Navigation quit "following" me a few months ago. It will give me the directions, but the blue arrow will not follow my position while driving. Took it to Verizon, they said they can't do anything but completely reset phone and "See" if that works. Meh. I said no.
So now, starting a couple weeks ago, my camera starts going wonky. I will take a pic, then go to Gallery to look at pics, and sometimes it will say there "Are no pictures to display", or it will just not display the pics I just took.
About a week ago, my phone started completely freezing, whether I'm on the browser, in an app, in Facebook, whatever. It will just freeze. Can't turn it off, can't go to home page, nothing works except taking battery out and putting it back in. This particular problem has become more frequent in the past few days. Sometimes it gets hot on the bottom back part of the phone. Sometimes the phone will act like it's turning off, but then go back to my home page. I really don't want to have to have Verizon reset my phone, or get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of these problems?! Please help and thank you!! :confused:

I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer for this yet. I have had VERY similar problems, in the same order, other then the gps.. I searched forums here hoping to get some help...

newmanx4

Reaction score
First thing to try is wiping the phone's cache through stock recovery. Are you familiar with that?

Sent from my Black Iced X

NJHeart2Heart

Reaction score
First thing to try is wiping the phone's cache through stock recovery. Are you familiar with that?

No, not familiar with this. My concern is that I'd rather not lose my data... what does a stock recovery erase, and what does it keep?
Thanks.
Dawn

newmanx4

Reaction score
Wiping the cache will not touch your data. It stores about the equivalent of temporary files on a PC. Good idea to clean it every now and then. To do this

1. Power the phone off
2. Hold the Home and Power keys simultaneously. When the Motorola logo comes up keep holding them another few seconds. A screen will appear with Andy the Android and a box with an exclamation point. You can release the keys here.
3. Press both volume buttons simultaneously. This will open stock recovery.
4. Use volume buttons to navigate to Wipe Cache, Power button to execute. Then reboot.

You will see an option to Wipe Data/Factory Reset. If the cache wipe doesn't help then this is your next step. This will erase everything on the phone, returning it to an "out of the box" state.

NJHeart2Heart

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My motorola phone only has 2 "hard keys" - the power button and the volume (oh, and camera), so I was puzzled when you said "hold down" both home and power buttons. Despite that, I did try to "hold down" the hard power key and the home "soft" button, but it brought me through to my normal desktop- just tried again, no better. Am I not aware of another hard button on my phone, or do I need to boot up a different way in the case of this particular phone? Unfortunately I don't know what type of phone it is other than a Motorola with "Droid X"..

newmanx4

Reaction score
The Droid X has 4 hard keys across the bottom of the phone. Menu, Home, Back, and Search. If your phone only has 2 hard keys it is something other than a DX.

NJHeart2Heart

Reaction score
The Droid X has 4 hard keys across the bottom of the phone. Menu, Home, Back, and Search. If your phone only has 2 hard keys it is something other than a DX.

Ok. Didn't know they were considered hard keys since they technically don't "move" when you "press" them. At any rate I did hold down the power button while keeping my finger on the "home" button as you suggested but it appears to still go through the normal booting process. I've tried it twice, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong "technique" wise....If I can't get past this first step, the rest won't do me any good...

Savagerun

Reaction score
Ok. Didn't know they were considered hard keys since they technically don't "move" when you "press" them. At any rate I did hold down the power button while keeping my finger on the "home" button as you suggested but it appears to still go through the normal booting process. I've tried it twice, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong "technique" wise....If I can't get past this first step, the rest won't do me any good...

Power off your phone then Press your home button first and hold it in then next press and hold in the power button. Continue holding in both buttons till you see the (!) on the screen then follow Newmans instructions. Don't press the power button first.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Strummer

Reaction score
Newmanx4 solution works!

Thanks. Easy to do and works perfectly.

Strummer

Reaction score
This works

Thanks newmanx4. I've been searching for a solution for months.

armond32

Reaction score
Wiping the cache will not touch your data. It stores about the equivalent of temporary files on a PC. Good idea to clean it every now and then. To do this

1. Power the phone off
2. Hold the Home and Power keys simultaneously. When the Motorola logo comes up keep holding them another few seconds. A screen will appear with Andy the Android and a box with an exclamation point. You can release the keys here.
3. Press both volume buttons simultaneously. This will open stock recovery.
4. Use volume buttons to navigate to Wipe Cache, Power button to execute. Then reboot.

You will see an option to Wipe Data/Factory Reset. If the cache wipe doesn't help then this is your next step. This will erase everything on the phone, returning it to an "out of the box" state.

Would these steps help with phone lagging? Also a lag when trying to dial numbers?

armond32

Reaction score
Would these steps help with phone lagging? Also a lag when trying to dial numbers?

Well I went ahead and tried it. My phone still lags when I press send to call someone. It is taking about 45 secs. Many times it takes about 2-3 mins before calling.