Droid X dialing contacts when using headphone jack and google listen

msheppard

Reaction score
I am trying hard to determine the exact sequence of events here - but haven't been able to reproduce this, so I'll just throw out there what seems to be happening.

In the morning, before having coffee usually, as I get into the car with the goal of listening to a podcast on the drive to work I'll plug the headphone line into the Droid X and select the "Google Listen" application in hopes of finding a podcast to listen to.

As I'm plugging the headphone jack in, and handling the phone possibly pressing the camera button the phone will go into phone mode and it will have dialed a recently used contact. For a while it was verizon support's number, but today it was the wife's contact number.

This morning it was also going into "Say voice command" mode.

Like I said - I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events, or if the camera button has anything to do with it - but it's VERY frustrating. This morning, I also had a hard time getting the Listen application to launch - it was in a sort of black screen frozen mode.

It's probably some combination of pressing one of the buttons and not knowing it - but it's driving me nuts.

M@

OP
msheppard

msheppard

Reaction score
Some more details: This morning the same behavior occurred while listening to the MUSIC app - the default one that the phone comes with.

Last night, I was driving (Jeep wrangler on a medium bumpy road) and it jumped from listening to music to "Say command" mode. I couldn't figure out how to get it out of voice command mode (tried saying "CANCEL" etc...) so I ended up just driving home with it in voice command mode.

This morning it did the same thing - and it "seems" to have something to do with a bump in the road or me handling the device. I'd get the music playing and go to put the phone down and it would dial the last number I'd called.

My current theory is it has something to do with some extra functionality of the head phone jack and the plug I'm using (radio shack cable) it triggering something. I'm going to look for some info on that now.

M@

seanhaskill

Reaction score
I too have the same issue. I think the droid x is the best smart phone available currently. Which means alot coming from me considering I use Macintosh computers almost exclusively. With that being said I loathe the stereo output on the droid x. I use the X as a sound source in many respects and have come to realize that it is a serious problem that is getting worse. It has every thing to do with Impact meaning manipulation of the male piece in the female piece. When said connection is disrupted or broken the voice command kicks in dialing the last contact. This is a serious problem. Not only is it inconvenient it could put the user in a interesting predicament. For example what if the X decided to call my boss while im with my friends and leaves him a 19 minute voice mail of every that was said. Not good at all. My real gripe being if a $30 ipod with a similar output has no problem retaining a connection in my mind a $599 mini computer that mirrors a top the line laptop from the late 90's with the exception of being much smaller and more user friendly "can't" have this issue. Well it does and to me this is ashame. Please post if you experience a similar problem. If tens of thousands of people experience the same problem it will become a manufacturers defect and at the very least be fixed for free. Despite all that I said I still love my Droid X.

Sean.

chris3145

Reaction score
I was having much the same problem: random calling, randomly starting a "shuffle all" playlist, and music just completely cutting out about 80% of the time as I was putting the phone in my pocket.
It seems that all of these are related to the phone interpreting random signals from the headphones as headset inputs. I downloaded a widget called headset blocker. I've only been using it for about 10 minutes, but I've now listened to three songs in a row without the music app stopping my music (the best I've done in weeks).
Now if we could just have an option on the phone instead of having to download a 3rd party widget...

ColoradoVibe

Reaction score
I'm experiencing simular problems while using the music player during cycling. (with pedals of coures) the player will lock up and quit, or just play a few seconds of a track and skip onto the next. I don't use a mount and keep the X in my pocket, sweat pant pockets that is. I suspected the ear bud jack, and tried using other ear buds to only have the same problem. Personally I now suspect, and I don't know what you call it, but I'll call it the jiggle sensor, you know the small vibration you'll feel when you bump the phone. I thought that sinse the X was resting in my pocket during my rides the road bumps were activating this function and causing my problems! Either that or possibly the dampness from my sweatpants touching the inactive screen. Anyhow I just purchased a set of bluetooth ear buds, and will see if I can actually rule out the ear phone jack as being the culprit.
My guess is, this jiggle sensor is much to busy

OP
msheppard

msheppard

Reaction score
I haven't experienced the original problem since upgrading to Froyo.

M@