Droid X copy and paste

tcg

Reaction score
I can't seem to find much from anyone complaining about copying and pasting, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I simply want to copy a selection from an email I received. But I can't figure out how.

Holding down my finger doesn't work. Double tapping with or without holding doesn't work. The menu button doesn't offer my any option for selecting text. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

vickib

Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing - I want to copy a URL from the browser to post to someone in either email, Skype or Twitter but can't seem to find any way to do copy or paste!

Thanks!
Vicki

OP
T

tcg

Reaction score
well...

vicki-

Copying and pasting from the browser isn't hard once you figure it out. If you want to copy thr url of the site which is currently being viewed you simply place your cursor in the address bar and hold down your finger till a selection box pops up allowing you to copy text or select text or whatnot. If it is a url listed on a web page, then you press the menu button (bottom left button on the phone) and select "more". in there you can select "select text" and then you simply drag your finger over the text you want to copy. it is not easy...esp the first time you try it, but it works.

My issue is that I am using the email function and while viewing a message with text I want to copy, I have no way of doing so. I can "reply" or forward to the message in an attempt to copy, but I am only able to copy text then that I enter myself, not in the message copied below. I simply cannot copy text from the message. This is incredibly frustrating and poor implementation if we are truly locked out of copying from the message....I hope I am just missing a simple step somewhere...

tg

GlockG23

Reaction score
to copy a URL touch and hold URL until a pop-up comes up it will say
"share page"
and
"Copy page URL"

vickib

Reaction score
Thanks! You're right, easy once you know how -- thanks a lot! Good luck with the email copy as well - maybe some answer will come here. Simple copy paste functions such as this surely would not have been left out!

j_acm

Reaction score
Can not copy paste from email.

I can not select text from an email i have recieved. Can someone please help. Maybe theres an app for it? ????

OP
T

tcg

Reaction score
this blows

Yeah, this feature (or lack thereof) sucks. Sure would like to see some movement on this...

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
No C/P support for the native Gmail app... I have no idea why they didn't include it. There are some apps that enable copy paste though, look through the market or Google it.

sadie123

Reaction score
This is very frustrating. No problem doing this on a blackberry.

OP
T

tcg

Reaction score
Welll...

I now use the gmail application and K9-email and I am now able to select text by using the menu button > more > select text. Then by dragging you finger the selection is highlighted and copied automatically. The functionality really sucks but its better than nothing. I have only been able to do this after updating to 2.2. I would love for handles at the beginning and end of the highlighted text to refine the selection.

If anyone has better suggestions I would live to hear em.

tcg

sadie123

Reaction score
This is a real problem. I am able to copy and paste from some websites but not others and not from. Email. I'm not switching to gmail. Is there a technical support at Motorola to check on this? Apple would be accessible on something like this. I guess the Droid is a half step between bberry and the iphone.

OP
T

tcg

Reaction score
Try K9

Try K9-email app. It has greater functionality than the stock email app and doesn't require gmail. It drives me nuts but Moto doesn't care.

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
I just came across that and Its a Gmail thing. My yahoo email Gives me all the C/P choices. Guess I'll need to forward my Gmail to Yahoo then. I dont like having many apps on my Droid.

Jim_JOAT

Reaction score
Plain Vanilla Droid X Copy and Paste Is Possible

I have been able to copy and paste from/to a few apps without anything special installed. I am a newbie with smart phones so I might not have the community language right. I'm sure there are other copy/paste combinations hidden down in some menu trees.

Example: Copy from Web Page to Text Message or eMail >>
1. While in Browser, Press MENU Key. Then select MORE. Then select SELECT TEXT. Then swipe across the area to be copied. When you release your finger, the selected text will go to the clipboard. This will take a little practice!

2. Start a new eMail or Text Messge. Long Press in the Message Body (says "Enter message here" in my apps). Select PASTE or PASTE FROM CLIPBOARD, and the dirty deed is done!

Note: PASTE will paste the last thing copied. PASTE FROM CLIPBOARD will present all the items stored in the clipboard. A neat way to copy several items and paste them into one message.

Keywords; Copy, Paste, Droid X, Web Page, Browser, email, text message.

Last edited: