Droid X Continuous Review_FW2.1

pointzero1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am gonna be posting my continuous thoughts about my new Droid X, sharing what I think are the pros/cons, strengths/weaknesses, of the device and when compared to other phones i've owned.

Before I start, some things you should know:
X = first smartphone
X = first android phone
X = first touchscreen phone
X = FW 2.1 (will not be updating anytime soon)
X = Stock, no custom launcher.
X = no case, no skin, still have default screen film on device.
X = got phone on Friday, sept. 24, 2010.

This is my own personal take on my Droid X and does not reflect what most X users think. Feel free to agree or disagree, but please refrain yourself from insulting or causing wars. Thank you.

---

9/26/10 First Impressions:

Beautiful at First Glance (Physical Look and Feel)
The Droid X is very nice looking phone and at first glance it is quite beautiful. However, once you begin to really analyze the phone details in design, you can see that the X is a bit "over-designed." This is not really a bad thing, but looking at it closely, I question why some areas look the way it does. The X uses a ton of different materials. Just on the front you can feel 4 different materials:

1) a soft rubbery feel where the speaker and microphone are located.
2) glass for the screen.
3) soft touch plastic where the four soft tactile keys are
4) the glossy smooth plastics that bezels the speaker.

All the uses of these materials instantly gave me 2 impressions. On one hand, I liked that it wasn't just a giant one piece sheet of glass or plastic found on most touch screen phones, and I appreciated that, in fact it feels quite good. However, on the other hand, just looking at the phone from different angles, the design doesn't feel very cohesive. What I mean by that is, the phone looks like it was made from a bunch of spare parts lying around, but that is just nitpicking, really.

The Perfect Size
Before I received this phone, I played with the demo display units, and always thought it was a bit too big. Now, after actually holding it in my hand, putting it in pocket, and typing away on the keyboard, I can confidently say that this is the perfect size for a phone. Size in terms of screen real estate, thinness of the phone, length, width, and even weight.

The 4.3 screen is great. The text is clear, the screen is bright. It is great for reading comics/manga with no need to zoom in. But best and most surprisingly, I can use this phone in daylight, this was a real shocker, because I really didn't expect it to be usable. You do not need to cover up the sun with your hand to create a shadow on your X to see the screen, you can easily see everything normally, but the screen just isn't as bright as when you are indoors. The display seems to be automatic, as I could not figure out how to adjust the brightness level, but I never really needed to as the X seems to know pretty well how bright it needs to be.

The 9.9mm phone. This is really great for me and people who have oddly thick wallets. Because the phone is so thin, except for where the camera is, it fits in nicely into my pocket without creating another bulge when put into the same pocket as my wallet. In fact, it barely makes any noticeable difference!

The 155gram lightweight? The phone is weighty and that is why I like it. For a phone as big as this I'm glad that there is some weight to it. It's not heavy by no means, but it has enough weight for it to feel premium and high quality and not like just another plastic-y touch screen phone. This sense of quality is also due to the multitude number of materials used.

Coming up Next: The Feel of the Physical Keys

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how do u plan on not getting 2.2? just deal with the notifications?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
when 2.2 gets pushed to u, u will be prompted every so often to upgrade.

Jamb

Reaction score
I never received update notice, I went through settings upate to download 2.2.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
Small Discovery #1
I found an easy way to get rid of the pre-loaded bookmarks in the browser.
Simple click on one and edit the bookmark with a new name and web address, to something you actually want.