Droid X, Contacts not working right at all!

samcoffeeman

Reaction score
Just recently my contacts stopped working completely. I hit contacts and the list comes up of all my contacts. If I press any contact to see information or try to add there is a flash and it goes back to my home screen. Help!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Try going to settings - apps - all, find contacts and contacts storage and wipe their data.

If that doesn't work, is the phone stock or rooted?

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
S

samcoffeeman

Reaction score
Stock, and no that did not work. The contacts storage did not give me the option to clear...

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Could try a 3rd party contacts app or a factory reset.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

hobbyhorse552

Reaction score
DROID X Contacts also stopped working

My contacts stopped working just as described in the original entry about a week ago. Here is some more information that may help in finding a solution.
1. I back up my contacts list using Lookout.com. The list and all its contacts with information appears to be fully intact. I imagine you will find this with any backup of the contact list.
2. I tried to clear the data from Contacts and Contact Storage. I was able to do this for contacts which was only 4K, but for Contact Storage which had 5.48M. the clear data button is grayed out. After clearing just contacts storage Contacts still did not work.
3. I was able to run a successful restore of the contact list from Outlook.com, but contacts is still not working as described in the original entry.
4. I brought up Contacts and selected settings. When I tried to select Contact storage, which is suppose to allow you to select where to store new or imported contacts, I simply was placed back into my contacts list.

My DROID X phone is also a non-rooted stock phone.

sportsfan231

Reaction score
did any body get a fix for this.....mine does the same thing droid 2
My contacts stopped working just as described in the original entry about a week ago. Here is some more information that may help in finding a solution.
1. I back up my contacts list using Lookout.com. The list and all its contacts with information appears to be fully intact. I imagine you will find this with any backup of the contact list.
2. I tried to clear the data from Contacts and Contact Storage. I was able to do this for contacts which was only 4K, but for Contact Storage which had 5.48M. the clear data button is grayed out. After clearing just contacts storage Contacts still did not work.
3. I was able to run a successful restore of the contact list from Outlook.com, but contacts is still not working as described in the original entry.
4. I brought up Contacts and selected settings. When I tried to select Contact storage, which is suppose to allow you to select where to store new or imported contacts, I simply was placed back into my contacts list.

My DROID X phone is also a non-rooted stock phone.

wags1025

Reaction score
If you recently upgraded your Hotmail to outlook this is what is causing it. Uninstall Outlook and Hotmail and your contacts will work, haven't reinstalled Hotmail or outlook yet, not sure what will happen.

wags1025

Reaction score
Just reinstalled Outlook and contacts won't work again. Definitely the issue.

OP
S

samcoffeeman

Reaction score
Thank you! I contacted Outlook/microsoft to voice my displeasure.

itsmetn

Reaction score
Thank you wags1025, I rewiped my Droid and that didn't help but uninstalling both hotmail and outlook.com did the trick. Must have been causing by Outlook.com because I have been using Hotmail for a while and that did not give me any issues.
If you recently upgraded your Hotmail to outlook this is what is causing it. Uninstall Outlook and Hotmail and your contacts will work, haven't reinstalled Hotmail or outlook yet, not sure what will happen.[/QUOTE

wags1025

Reaction score
You can reinstall Outlook and your contacts will work.

Thank you wags1025, I rewiped my Droid and that didn't help but uninstalling both hotmail and outlook.com did the trick. Must have been causing by Outlook.com because I have been using Hotmail for a while and that did not give me any issues.
If you recently upgraded your Hotmail to outlook this is what is causing it. Uninstall Outlook and Hotmail and your contacts will work, haven't reinstalled Hotmail or outlook yet, not sure what will happen.[/QUOTE

You can reinstall Outlook and your contacts will work. It must have been the version of Hotmail that was causing the issue.

kealan

Reaction score
Hotmain and Outlook

You can reinstall Outlook and your contacts will work. It must have been the version of Hotmail that was causing the issue.

So I had the exact same issue on my rooted droid 2 and for me it turned out that I still had hotmail installed as well as the new outlook, when I removed hotmail it fixed the problem. Just FYI.

cyberdean

Reaction score
Just Dump Hotmail:

I deleted hotmail from android. Rebooted phone by removing battery, my contacts save fine now. I did not have to delete outlook...