Droid X constantly rebooting... ready to pull my hair out..

stitch626

Reaction score
Alright so I have been searching high and low on these boards and others for a solution.. so far nothing has worked and I am hoping someone else out there may have gone through the same issue and know of a simple easy fix...

My DroidX has always done a random reboot here and there- always figured it was due to a memory issue, or over heating. Well today while I was at work I noticed my phone began to reboot, and reboot, and reboot..and,well, you get the picture. It wasn't until I just removed the battery did the rebooting stop. At first I thought it may have gotten to warm- it was incredibly hot to the touch, but even after it had cooled down this issue has continued.

I've since tried factory resetting the phone, oh maybe about two dozen times. The first time it worked perfectly, for about 10 minutes. It wasnt until I went to use VZNavigator that it shut down on me. Did the reset again, this time it lasted a couple minutes and started rebooting- the only 'app' i touched this time around was text messaging.

Since those attempts, every time I do a factory reset and start it back up I can not get past the initial lunch screen which is to touch the droid to begin set up of the device.

Not a single time did I ever reinstall any apps besides what already came loaded on the phone... I kept it clean incase it was an app.

I've tried hooking it up to my computer to see if there was a way to reinstall the software, but it will not remain on long enough for me to do anything.

I'm trying to avoid having to take it to a verizon wireless store- not only is it a weekend, but I have a feeling since I got it through Amazon wireless they are not exactly going to want to help me out much with swapping it in store.. even though I do pay extra for their warrenty.

Thanks..

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd just put it into the bootloader and SBF it...I know this will be a total pain in the ass because you'll have to reload everything, but when my D1 got wonky, an SBF cleaned it right up.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
S

stitch626

Reaction score
I should add I've not rooted or done any hacks/mods to the phone... so not sure how to do use bootloader since I cant get my phone to stay on long enough for my laptop to recognize it and let me access it.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
From a powered-off state, hold camera + volume down + power and it should star you in bootloader mode. You'll also need RSD lite, up-to-date phone drivers, and the SBF file.

For a step by step tutorial google "how to sbf droid x"

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

J

JriderG

I would recommend taking it to Verizon. But if they give you ****, then just sbf yourself.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score
Try an SBF first. If you go to VZW, the best they can do is give you a refurb which has a 50/50 chance of being garbage... and at that point, your original phone is long gone and you're stuck in the Twilight Zone... a.k.a... the CLNR cycle. Always try to fix on your own first.

OP
S

stitch626

Reaction score
So I tried to do the SBF... but every time I do it it comes back as failed... any ideas why this is happening? In RSD Lite it does not recognize all of the device information.

Reaction score
I've been hearing of people taking their phones to Verizon and complaining about the well-known problems and leaving with a new X2. Not sure how common that is, but may be worth a try.

Steve

rumblee1

Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll say it again for the millionth time, I loved my droid X till they forced gingerbread. Its not even remotely the same phone anymore. This update fix on the way is going to have to Fix many, many issues. I really think moto, and Verizon should have left well enough alone or at least given us an option as to whether or not we wanted gingerbread on our devices. You know, the devices we paid for, with our money.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

Angelicall

Reaction score
I agree why is it that we don't get to choose. I loved my phone until this supposedly new update came along. I have had nothing but problems and verizons answer is thousands are complaining and they are forwarding to Motorola. I WANT MY ORIGINAL DROID X Back!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

rexster314

Reaction score
I had the same problems as you describe with a few more such as hard lights not going off while in the MM dock. I finally got tired of it and just did a factory reset last weekend. I don't get near as many reboots and the lights go out when they should now