Droid X Camera, what a waste.

sohaunted

Reaction score
I think the problem is on your end not the camera itself. Using an app like photoshop express to touch up a pictures helps tremendously, as does knowing how to properly adjust the settings on the camera.

Here are a couple a took the other day on a whim:

1296409428115.jpg

1296595442562.jpg

Sorry of they're too big. Can anyone recommend a gold resizing app that doesn't hurt quality too much?

Reaction score
My X takes excellent pics, as well as great video. Either the phone, or the user. :)

Definitely not the user.

The phone just refuses to take good pictures or video. Any combination of settings recommended by the good folks of these forums have resulted in zero improvements for me. I am sure it is possible that the camera is trash in some of the early units.

For me, video won't focus and pictures are very grainy unless there is extremely bright sunlight. Just nothing very good so far.

Last edited:

devildog9999

Reaction score
My X takes excellent pics, as well as great video. Either the phone, or the user. :)

Definitely not the user.

The phone just refuses to take good pictures or video. Any combination or settings recommended by the good folks of these forums have resulted in zero improvements for me. I am sure it is possible that the camera is trash in some of the early units.

For me, video won't focus and pictures are very grainy unless there is extremely bright sunlight. Just nothing very good so far.

I would take it back, and have Big Red take a look at it compared to another out of the box. The thing should take beautiful pics and videos if it is "good". I have actually been surprised at how good the video is, as well as a few snapshots I have taken. Low light conditions are another story all together, for that I actually use my Camera. :)

devildog9999

Reaction score
The first one was taken in the rain and has been shrunk by the site during upload. The second was taken doing 25 knots on the water on a nice day.

Last edited:
OP
Gene Hirschman

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the various settings available on the phone. But none of them help much at all. I'm getting better pictures from FXCamera but still nothing like the pictures some have provided above. Colors are just too vibrant and overwhelming sometimes and some pictures are just way too grainy. Thanks for the feedback.
UPDATE:
I just downloaded "Camera Zoom FX", its a $3.00 app and it has made all the difference in the world. The pictures I've experimented with using the program are very, very good. Much like the samples in the preceding posts.
That was the best 3 bucks I've ever spent. I'm now very happy with the Droid X's picture taking capabilities.
Don't know why some have good results with the Android camera program that comes with the camera and others don't but I really suggest the Camera Zoom FX app.

Last edited:

GeneralZod

Reaction score
I suspect people hear 8MP and assume they're going to get something beyond what can currently be expected from the technology you can cram into a phone. I also suspect, they see the bulge in the phone, assume that is also there to create a better camera, and then just end up disappointed.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
People fall into the megapixel trap far too easily. They see a large megapixel number and assume that equates high quality. Megapixels is only part of it...you gotta determine how well the lens can take pictures. I agree about the camera on the DX...it's decent for what it is but I certainly don't expect it to take art gallery quality photos. My old 2 MP Kodak room great pics before it quit on me...lasted me 9 years. The X is okay but I wouldn't do any photo shoots with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hanzie

Reaction score
Mine takes good pics for the most part.. my complaint is that it doesn't always save the pictures,so ive lost some great shots

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Gene Hirschman

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
I'm sure your right about the megapixs but even my wifes phone, a 1.3 meg pix takes better pictures than my Droid X with the Camera function built in to it. But after I added the app, Camera Zoom FX, I'm now getting a more than adequate quality picture. I'm not trying to compete with my Cannon or Nikon, just be able to take a decent picture those times I "wish I had my camera" moments.
I'm assuming that those who are getting good pictures with the same phone have a different component in it than those who aren't. Thanks for all the feedback, bottom line.......I'm now much more happy with my Droid X.

Reaction score
I suspect people hear 8MP and assume they're going to get something beyond what can currently be expected from the technology you can cram into a phone. I also suspect, they see the bulge in the phone, assume that is also there to create a better camera, and then just end up disappointed.

Nah, I didn't fall for the megapixel gimmick. But I did expect better pictures than what I was getting with my old phone, which was an LG enV Touch.

Motoguy79

Reaction score
I get good photos when in natural light... it's pretty bad in low light situations though. It does leave something to be desired but it serves the purpose.

xush

Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you that are happy with your cameras are viewing the pics on a computer or larger screen? I assume that's implied, but just want to make sure.

My pics look decent on the phone's screen, but they're not great when viewed at full resolution, no matter how I adjust the camera settings.
I'm trying to decide between buying one of the Vignette-type processing apps or just filtering them on my computer.

agreco60

Reaction score
I also had problems with pics on the X. Here are some things to try.

Make sure the lens is clean.
Play with the settings. Changed the ISO setting to 200 for night shots on stock Camera.
Camera 360 is a great app. I am using the free version and it helps alot. The HDR Simulation works well.