Droid X Camera, what a waste.

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
I assumed that the 8 mega pixel camera on the Droid would take a better than average picture. But it just leaves so much to be desired. My old flip phone motorola thats nearly 4 years old takes a much better picture. Is there an app that will give better results? Not looking for true camera results, just decent pictures that can be taken on the spur of the moment when a real camera isn't available.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have been pleased with the pics my phone takes.

You do get better results in good lighting conditions.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I have been pleased with the pics my phone takes.

You do get better results in good lighting conditions.

mine are fine too, agreed though at night they lack a little bit.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I assumed that the 8 mega pixel camera on the Droid would take a better than average picture. But it just leaves so much to be desired. My old flip phone motorola thats nearly 4 years old takes a much better picture. Is there an app that will give better results? Not looking for true camera results, just decent pictures that can be taken on the spur of the moment when a real camera isn't available.

I'll bet you don't know where the settings are for the camera. If you swipe down on the screen a menu should appear and you can adjust your settings to make better quality pictures.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works on the X, it's the way it works on the D2 which is a step down camera wise.

Try it and get back to us.

forstir9

Reaction score
Me and my wife had env touches and my phone took great pictures and hers took horrible pictures. Her colors were way off. So it seems like it might be your phone. Take it to the store and compare taking exact photos there shooting the same subjects. Then at least the verizon workers will see first hand what kind if problem you are having.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

mikehal38

Reaction score
My x takes horrible pictures. Doesn't matter what the lighting is. I've tried every setting there is.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I think you guys are just unlucky..both of them are flawless on my end.

turdbogls

Reaction score
i am quite happy with the performance of mine....the night pics leave something to be desired, but during the day, i really couldn't ask for anything better than this. I have a nice camera, so i dont expect my phone to replace a dedicated shooter.

here are a couple pics i took this weekend in the everglades.
2011-01-30_09-41-55_260.jpg

2011-01-29_15-41-20_816.jpg

my tips are to make sure you are not on macro setting (unless you are shooting an object up close) and to wipe the lense with your shirt before shooting if possible. these 2 things should get you some fairly nice results.

Last edited:

nakhleh926

Reaction score
i am quite happy with the performance of mine....the night pics leave something to be desired, but during the day, i really couldn't ask for anything better than this. I have a nice camera, so i dont expect my phone to replace a dedicated shooter.

here is a pic i took this weekend.
2011-01-30_09-41-55_260.jpg

my tips are to make sure you are not on macro setting (unless you are shooting an object up close) and to wipe the lense with your shirt before shooting if possible. these 2 things should get you some fairly nice results.

nice car

qman66

Reaction score
u cannot even compaare the quality of a old moto phone to this dx. this phone takes great pictures

livetoskateaz

Reaction score
my droid x used to take phenomenal pics...as of late no matter what the settings or light or having a clean camera lens its pretty bad...i am hoping that there is an ota coming out soon that will fix these problems...otherwise i am truly disappointed because its an 8 megapixl camera for crusts sake! my 3.1 megapixel canon vixia hv30 takes better pics...a real disappointment...also there are no apps that seem to help i use vignette and camera 360 with no results.dancedroid:icon_ nono2:

kevinkar

Reaction score
The lenses in these things are tiny. Very "slow" lenses too so you need lots of light to take better quality pictures. Also, the suggestion to wipe off the lens before taking a picture is EXTREMELY important. I took some shots that were laughable until I realized I had a giant fingerprint on the lens cover. Wiped it off and much better results were achieved.

I don't think you can compare a tiny Droid X lens to a dedicated Canon Vixia HV30 at all. One's an actual camera and the other is a nice addition to make the phone more useful. And megapixels don't ever imply quality. That's just the number of pixels it will capture and says nothing about the lens' capabilities or processing power.

All that being said, the Droid X camera really is pretty weak but given some testing and judicious settings choices, you can get some relatively nice pictures nonetheless.

livetoskateaz

Reaction score
yeah that is true, but doesn't really give me an answer to why the pic quality would get worse over time...