Droid x camera doesn't focus well

illest

Reaction score
Just hold the shutter button down halfway to let it auto focus. Its about the same as the auto focus on my Nikon DSLR. you have to let it autofocus. once you hear the beep, you should be good to go and longpress the shutter.

Hope this helps..

Also, in no way am i saying that the quality is better than my DSLR.

debaucher

Reaction score
I still feel the biggest issue with this camera is they crammed 8mp on such a tiny sensor so any time you take pictures in areas with lower light you get grainy photos.

I know they did this so that we could have 720p video (which looks awesome).. but there should be a way around it.

I did find that the picture quality improved with 2.2 and there is an on-screen shutter button so you don't have to push the red side button (for those who are having issues with that).
This may help you focus correctly and take clearer shots.. but the picture noise in low light is something verizon will have to correct in software (some kind of noise removal which hopefully wont dull/blur too much)

Just my 0.0000002

D.

deranger

Reaction score
The camera on this phone isn't that great for taking highly detailed, sterile photos. The focus is slow and misses frequently, the sensor is very noisy, and aperture is slow. However, using Vignette I have taken some photos that I like quite a bit.

I decided to head down to the lake before sunrise to take some pics with my Canon 7D, and snapped this with Vignette. No postprocessing aside from Toy Camera preset on Vignette. Camera set to 3.1MP superfine.

1283513810210.jpg

dodge7

Reaction score
Got the same complaint as mentioned above. Except before the 2.2 update the camera took excellent pictures, after I did the 2.2 update the pictures look very "grainy" and ****ty. Idk if im the only one that's noticed this or not.

Swis21

Reaction score
yes yes the software needs to be greatly improved
But I have a problem having lights to light

ckaelin

Reaction score
camera sucks

Very disapointed! Might have to swap for an incredible.

spec2424

Reaction score
I still feel the biggest issue with this camera is they crammed 8mp on such a tiny sensor so any time you take pictures in areas with lower light you get grainy photos.

I know they did this so that we could have 720p video (which looks awesome).. but there should be a way around it.

I did find that the picture quality improved with 2.2 and there is an on-screen shutter button so you don't have to push the red side button (for those who are having issues with that).
This may help you focus correctly and take clearer shots.. but the picture noise in low light is something verizon will have to correct in software (some kind of noise removal which hopefully wont dull/blur too much)

Just my 0.0000002

D.

And Apple is able to pull of 720p with a 5megapixel camera how then? Since 720p is only a resolution of 1280×720 I don't see how this argument holds up.
Most reviews point out the Droid X's lackluster camera when compared to some other phones, such as the iphone (both are great by the way). I think people have a right to complain that their specific camera on their specific phone isn't up to par with the current batch of competitors cameras. Otherwise, we don't ever get anything better.

trscott

Reaction score
The fact is that my Droid X (maybe all of them) has a serious bug somewhere in the autofocus. When I hold the camera up to take a picture, the scene on the display is sharper before it focuses, then when I press the button part way to focus it scans in and out and ends up at a setting that is significantly out of focus. All my pictures are very blurry.

For Debaucher: There is absolutely no excuse for the performance of this camera. The sensor and optics are capable of much better performance! The pictures are almost useless, maybe the resolution of 256 pixels square, not 8MP! All because the autofocus is absolutely brain dead!

trscott

Reaction score
The problem is not the button or the sensor or the lens. The problem, at least with my camera, is that the autofocus is braid dead. It almost has to be a bug in the software. All the software does is optimize edge contrast between adjacent pixels. I can see MUCH sharper images on the LCD before it tries to focus.

Try this test with your camera. Stand about 8 feet away from a car license plate. Look at how sharp the characters are on the plate before you press the shutter button, then hold the button down to cause it to autofocus, and compare the "focused" image in the LCD to the sharpness before you pressed the button, and again after the camera captures the picture. In my camera it is always much sharper before I let the camera try to focus.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Anyone having camera issues where their camera is washing out the photos even with the flash OFF?? I was outside with my dogs and even in the shade, the photos are washed out, as if the flash was on. I tried with flash and without flash and with flash only made them even worse washed out. I have taken great pictures with my camera on my Droid X before, as evidenced by the photo attached, and phone was not on GB then obviously. Now, since GB, I cannot take good photos... anyone else having this issue? I rebooted, I cleared the cache in the camera including my third party camera app (both are washing the pics out) and even force stopped them, all to no avail. Even in the black and white mode it washes them out. I realize it is a phone with a camera, but I agree, 8 mp should do something better than wash out the pics... that is ridiculous, phones without flashes have taken better pics than this thing is taking!!

griz8791

Reaction score
I tried to help a friend with a Droid X last night. She was having exactly the same problem as trscott. You hold it up to frame the shot and everything is sharply focused on the live display. Then you half press the shutter to autofocus and actually see it move seriously out of focus, where it then stubbornly remains all the way through shutter actuation, at which point it then snaps back into focus.

MotoVzwFTW

Reaction score
You just need to take well lit pics.... That obviously removes the grain, and that REALLY improves the focus.

10yearsOfHelloMoto!

sillynut

Reaction score
picture better before focus

i have the same problem...before updating software my droidx took excellent pictures...no the look fine untill you focus then it all gets fuzzy. so no one knows why?