Droid X bricked?

zenman77

Reaction score
Well I'll be damned! Got a working X on wireless. Thank you very much Zen.
I'm glad it worked for you. I've been looking for something similar for the htc phones but have had no such luck. I learned the Moto trick (believe it or not) from a Verizon cs rep.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
To anyone who reads this from page 1- DO NOT follow yamgo's advise unless you want to chance a vzw rep voiding your warranty and sending you packing with a still bricked phone.

Use the RSDlite method outlined in the previous posts, heck if you can't find the files pm me and I'll email them to you.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Graymayre

Reaction score
To anyone who reads this from page 1- DO NOT follow yamgo's advise unless you want to chance a vzw rep voiding your warranty and sending you packing with a still bricked phone.

Use the RSDlite method outlined in the previous posts, heck if you can't find the files pm me and I'll email them to you.

Not necessarily. It depends on what you tell them and if they have the ability to flash smart phones. Tech support didn't even know smart phones could be flashed at all. If the phone wont boot, they don't know you voided the warranty and if they can flash, they will try. If they can't, the worst that can happen is they process a warranty replacement or get you on the phone with Asurion. Im sure if you are rooting and romming, you are smart enough not to go into a VZW store with "Hi, I bricked my phone trying to flash a rom and failed miserably, can you fix it?"

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Boot animation changes, boot logo changes - 2 reasons not to take your phone into vzw to have them flash. If the phone wont turn on it is truly bricked and flashing wont even work.

If you flash say apex and you phone gets stuck in a bootloop the apex logo is a dead giveaway to vzw that you rooted, same with liberty and so on.

Again if you want to take your chances go into the store, if you want to fix your phone without the hassle, rsdlite...

Graymayre

Reaction score
Boot animation changes, boot logo changes - 2 reasons not to take your phone into vzw to have them flash. If the phone wont turn on it is truly bricked and flashing wont even work.

If you flash say apex and you phone gets stuck in a bootloop the apex logo is a dead giveaway to vzw that you rooted, same with liberty and so on.

Again if you want to take your chances go into the store, if you want to fix your phone without the hassle, rsdlite...

Yes that would be a giveaway IF they were changed, and that would be the instance in which it wouldn't be a good idea. Also the recovery is a dead giveaway if it could boot to it. But his is a Droid X and has to have boot script to go into a custom recovery, the original recovery is still there and a VZW rep would see that first in an attempt to factory reset. When that fails because there was no os to reset, then refer to my last post. In his case it didn't matter because he never even installed a rom because the file wasn't there. I never said RSD lite wasn't the better way, it certainly is by far.
Again, I still agree going to a rep isn't the best idea generally.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Even since he didn't flash a rom, once you root and flash clockwork I believe the stock update.zip doesn't work anymore. If your rep does a data wipe and cache wipe then tries to apply the update.zip they will know something is going on when it wont work.

Its like dirty Harry says, do you feel lucky, well do ya?

Running running as fast as it can, running running gingerbread man!

Graymayre

Reaction score
Phones don't come with update.zip. that's only IF you downloaded an update and IF you left it on your sdcard after you applied it. And "nonexistent" data isn't proof that you tried to root any more than a "nonexistent" body is proof of a murder.