Droid X Bootloader Locked, Custom ROMs Unlikely

wgoeken

Reaction score
A manufacturer cannot (in the United States) create a device that intentionally damages itself when used a certain way; This "eFuse" concept is absurd. Ford can't legally make a truck whose engine cylinders break if you put a Chevy transmission in the truck.

It's simply illegal and can't exist.

Jahminded

Reaction score
A manufacturer cannot (in the United States) create a device that intentionally damages itself when used a certain way; This "eFuse" concept is absurd. Ford can't legally make a truck whose engine cylinders break if you put a Chevy transmission in the truck.

Bingo.

Let's not get hysterical. I mean, next we are going to hear that attempting to hack the bootloader will cause the phone to play Justin Beiber songs repeatedly before bursting into a ball of fire. ;)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Bingo.

Let's not get hysterical. I mean, next we are going to hear that attempting to hack the bootloader will cause the phone to play Justin Beiber songs repeatedly before bursting into a ball of fire. ;)
NOW THAT would be just EVIL, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :icon_evil:

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
I heard that if you try to flash a different rom in the phone does a back trace finds bank account information and orders a iPhone 4 , that turned me off to getting one.

wingsabr

Reaction score
I don't care. I want an iphone 4. But it will grant you three wishes even if one of them is an iphone 4. I. Don't care. Hahahaaa

surely someone knows what I'm talking about... :D

dbmorris

Reaction score
Yes, hilarious. Sent it to my apple buddies, they even thought it funny.

Topic related: I really like the idea of 2 cameras so the X and 2 are out for me. Holding off and see what next year brings.
Danny

I don't care. I want an iphone 4. But it will grant you three wishes even if one of them is an iphone 4. I. Don't care. Hahahaaa

Motohawk

Reaction score
I hope they realize they will be losing a lot of sales by doing this crap. Albeit Verizon probably is the one who pushed the whole signed boot loader thing

Don't forget that modding geeks like us are a very small piece of the pie. Most consumers could care less if they can mod their phone.
It's all about the $ for Moto and Verizon and if they have to alienate a few phone geeks to put more cash in their pockets it will be done.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I hope they realize they will be losing a lot of sales by doing this crap. Albeit Verizon probably is the one who pushed the whole signed boot loader thing

Don't forget that modding geeks like us are a very small piece of the pie. Most consumers could care less if they can mod their phone.
It's all about the $ for Moto and Verizon and if they have to alienate a few phone geeks to put more cash in their pockets it will be done.

I don't know about how few is few. There was an article that BB v0.4 drew in 40k or so downloads. That's not including other ROMs which even if the remainder totaled the same 40k that would be 80k.

80,000 * 200 = $16 Million dollars lost sales to Moto. It could also be a loss to VZW for yearly contract revenue if those consumers went to other carriers offering a competing, more open, handset. So just for giggles if HALF of the 80k went elsewhere at a $2000/yr loss that would be $80 Million dollars in lost contract revenue yearly for VZW. Like I said folks. Write a letter and make your stance known and back it up by voting with your wallet.

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
Well if this is the way Motorola wants to be then i guess I wait for the Samsung Fascinate, lets just hope they dont follow lead from there rivals :)

[video=youtube;Ku-9g7BOdHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-9g7BOdHQ]YouTube - Verizon Samsung Fascinate Promo Video (Galaxy S)[/video]

dB Zac

Reaction score
according to this article at Droiddog, if you look at the update at the bottom. Motorola has confirmed that "e-fues" tripping from a tampered boot loader is nothing more than a rumor

Droid X Root: Self-destruct Rumors and Facts | Motorola Droid X Root Protection | DroidDog Android Blog

dB Zac

Reaction score
according to this article at Droiddog, if you look at the update at the bottom. Motorola has confirmed that "e-fues" tripping from a tampered boot loader is nothing more than a rumor

Droid X Root: Self-destruct Rumors and Facts | Motorola Droid X Root Protection | DroidDog Android Blog

sorry read that wrong. Motorola confirms it will

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I had to remove the Youtube video when it was posted here, not family oriented. Other mods knocked off other copies too. However, while not suitable for here, I agree it was hilarious!

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
I still think any company who tries to lock down intellectual property After the sell of that property, Profit taken from that property, & still want to control that property for possible future profit; well by any other name would be know as "greed"