Droid X Bootloader Locked, Custom ROMs Unlikely

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do they not know how many customers are turned away bc of the signed bootloader?

They know. It's like 5. Seriously, it's not enough for anyone to consider a loss. A helluva lot more people jailbreak their Iphones and look how many sold the first day without a clue...

pretty sure its a bit more than 5

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, it wouldnt make me reconsider getting the X. It looks like it will be a good phone. The battery management settings seems like it might underclock the cpu, Its fast at 1Ghz....underclocking to save battery was the main reasons I wanted to even root in the first place.

BSmith

Reaction score
do they not know how many customers are turned away bc of the signed bootloader?

They know. It's like 5. Seriously, it's not enough for anyone to consider a loss. A helluva lot more people jailbreak their Iphones and look how many sold the first day without a clue...

Even if it were half the active users on this forum it wouldn't be enough to consider a loss. I'm sure Verizon and Moto already played the odds game.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Even if it were half the active users on this forum it wouldn't be enough to consider a loss. I'm sure Verizon and Moto already played the odds game.

its not motorola doing it, its verizon

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Manufacturers/cell companies are not stupid. The probably have moles who watch what we do, methods we come up with, and use that to prepare the next phone. Just because the manufactures don't send yo an emailed titled "gotcha" does not mean they do not know whats going on. They have people they pay to know what is going on, and its working. They knew that the motorola milestones continues to give devs fits even though other devices released after that has been rooted. The used the milestone data to incorporate that on the droid X to keep us out. I am curious if they did the same to the droid 2.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

its not motorola doing it, its verizon

Regardless of who is in control of the locking down, I'm willing to bet it's a collaborative effort.
Just because there are hundreds, if not a few thousand of us that are rooted, overall we represent a very small percentage of the Motorola Droid user/owner community. So the loss they achieve by locking a phone is negligible...at least when thinking in terms of their bottom line in profits.

Manufacturers/cell companies are not stupid. The probably have moles who watch what we do, methods we come up with, and use that to prepare the next phone. Just because the manufactures don't send yo an emailed titled "gotcha" does not mean they do not know whats going on. They have people they pay to know what is going on, and its working. They knew that the motorola milestones continues to give devs fits even though other devices released after that has been rooted. The used the milestone data to incorporate that on the droid X to keep us out. I am curious if they did the same to the droid 2.
Exactly Charles!
The hackers and developers represent an invalueable resource to the manufacturers.
I certainly don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but personally, all these leaks we have been given...I mean really?
Droidforums.net is definitely one of the better known websites for help/hacking on the Motorola Droid.
Motorola is keenly aware of this.
What better a place than to provide a 'leak'?
Reminds me of old espionage movies.

And Like PilotCharles said, you can be sure there are people within their organization whose sole responsibility is to keep tabs on what's being done with our phones. How things are made to work better. Which features to keep, remove, additions of features..etc.

Anybody who downloaded and used/gave feedback pertaining to these 'leaks' is merely a beta-tester they didn't have to pay. And it's a much better way to gain real-world results than a few Motorola develpers could achieve in some laboratory.
Heck, if I had access to hundreds or thousands of people willing to test my product and I was under absolutley no obligation to assist in the potential negative results, you're damn right I would 'leak' a few of my designs out to the guinea pigs!

This is just my belief. I certainly have no evidence to back it up, but it makes perfect business sense, doesn't it? I'm sure others agree.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am also curoius about the future of Motorola and Android devices. Rooting, Custom Roms and Themes are the best part about these Devices. I would hate the DX from the start just because of the Stock Vanilla Android look. Coming from what I have now and knowing what I know is possible, No Root Access would be a sad day indeed.

The only thing I could see is if the hardware in the phone was so good there was no need to O/C ( 2ghz or 1ghz Dual) and Motorola put in an Internal Theming Option, where one could make themes in a SDK and apply it like an update.zip through Motorola's Recovery Image. Of course all of Motorola's scripts would have to be dead on, good battery life with constant system updates, just like the Devs do when they have system glitches with their ROMs...I am not saying that this would be as good as Root but it would be better than a Locked Down Vanilla Android Device.

I still have good thoughts going foward into the newer Motorola Android Phones as far as root is concerned, where there is a will there is a way, and there is definately a will

Reaction score
At first the signed bootloader news made me have thoughts of not getting the DX, but then I started thinking about what it is I actually get from custom ROM's. What I like about the custom ROMs for Droid are Speed increases, stability, and custom appearance. With the DX the speed and stability are built in, and themes will still be possible (either with Home replacements or root access). Considering what the DX starts with as a base, there really is very little we'll be missing out on with ROM's. That being said, I still think they'll figure out a way through or around the signed bootloader issue.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anybody who downloaded and used/gave feedback pertaining to these 'leaks' is merely a beta-tester they didn't have to pay. And it's a much better way to gain real-world results than a few Motorola develpers could achieve in some laboratory.
Heck, if I had access to hundreds or thousands of people willing to test my product and I was under absolutley no obligation to assist in the potential negative results, you're damn right I would 'leak' a few of my designs out to the guinea pigs!

This is just my belief. I certainly have no evidence to back it up, but it makes perfect business sense, doesn't it? I'm sure others agree.

I said the same thing months ago, Android itself is still in the Beta Stages and we are all mere Beta Testers, what better way to see the wants and needs of the people and how to go about handling it than to watch the people who push the devices to thier Maximum Potential....us. I am sure we have done more work for Google and Motorola than we will ever know, just doing what we do best.

dakoop

Reaction score
I wouldn't even know what to do with an unrooted android phone anymore. Yes the X is going to be an upgrade over the droid and won't "need" to be rooted, but most of the fun is playing with roms, themes and the apps that need root.

At a bare minimum there would need to be a way to change the look of the os. I hate the stock android look.

peperonikiller

Reaction score
I hope they realize they will be losing a lot of sales by doing this crap. Albeit Verizon probably is the one who pushed the whole signed boot loader thing

dakoop

Reaction score
I hope they realize they will be losing a lot of sales by doing this crap. Albeit Verizon probably is the one who pushed the whole signed boot loader thing

It really won't hurt sales. How many of the millions of people that are going to buy the stupid phone care about, or even know about rooting??

peperonikiller

Reaction score
Yea, I'm still going to buy it.. merely for the fact of saying "My phone is bigger than your Evo" lol, that and my Omnia is quite out-dated now

Wadzii

Reaction score
Now that I'm used to the flexibility and awesomeness of custom roms, etc, I doubt I'll upgrade my Droid to any phone that cant have a custom rom loaded.

Noone wants to wait for moto/verizon to get the latest software updates.