Droid X Bluetooth - incompatible with car?

iam8up

Reaction score
I have a bluetooth/nav/etc built in to my car - the Nissan Altima. I've used it with my AT&T Blackberry Bold 9000 for about a year and a half flawlessly.

Now I got my Droid X and it pairs up and everything, however, the audio sounds like garbage and the mic part does not work at all. If it were an analog thing I would imagine the mic/speaker were shorted together.

I have tried it with and without Enhanced Stereo (the only bluetooth configuration option). This didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

READ THIS

EDIT: 9/22/2010 I pulled down Froyo. Just a few minutes ago I paired my phone with my car and am happy to report a working test call. I called 800GOOG411 and heard it just fine, spoke into it to call the office and heard the office recordings perfectly.

Last edited:

newatthis

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue

I just got the DroidX Friday and paired my phone this morning. I also have a Nissan Altima and had the same issue - any assistance is greatly appreciated.

OP
I

iam8up

Reaction score
Looking at other threads online it seems this is a very universal issue.

The Droid X, at this time, does not work correctly with the Altima.

A band-aid fix is to push the speakerphone button on the phone so it goes to the handset and then push the phone button on the steering wheel. I personally confirmed this works.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) has one fix listed as:

*Improved compatibility matrix with car kits and headsets

REF: Droid x bluetooth in car issue - xda-developers

calpalmer

Reaction score
Based on my experience yesterday, the DroidX also doesn't work with JVC's latest and best AV NAV head unit.... it pairs but then immediately shuts down and reboots the JVC.

newatthis

Reaction score
Thanks for the band-aid - it does work, although it has taken me up to 5 times just to make it happen for 1 call. Timing seems to be the key - it's like you have to hit the handset button, wait for the call to connect to the handset, then hit the phone button on the stearing wheel. If you go to fast, the call is disconnected. I've only been successful in doing this on outgoing calls, not incoming. I called Verizon and they don't know anything. How do I know if this update will help?

OP
I

iam8up

Reaction score
Verizon will say it's not their job.

Nissan will say it's not their job.

The only thing you can do is hope it works with 2.2. At this point it looks like a September release.

newatthis

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight!

I was able to connect yesterday on incoming calls as well. The band aid is at least working, but timing seems to be the key - you have to wait after pushing the handset button, prior to hitting the button on the stearing wheel - I connected 1st try this time and on an incoming call.
Thanks for all the help - here's hoping the release fixes the issue, but at least this workaround is helpful.

copdoc1

Reaction score
Ditto

Same problem w/ Droid X and my 2007 Altima. Workaround is OK, but a firm fix is needed.

I have an aditional problem of "unlisted number" calls not even going to the car, but only to the Droid X.(?) This makes me miss important calls from clients who block their numbers. Any suggestions???

Akita

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Altima. For the ones having issues on their Nissans, is the head unit a Bose(factory) or factory(non-Bose)?

bananahands

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Maxima with the Bose system and it works great. the only issue I've had is I can't use the talk to text feature (in the car is the only time i'd use it).

copdoc1

Reaction score
Akita,

Tnx for ur query. I have a Bose system in my 2007 Altima.

Akita

Reaction score
For the guys with the Bose head units, does that mean bluetooth capability comes with the Bose head unit or did you guys have to install an adapter?

pcw

Reaction score
Similar problem with my 2007 Camry

The car has the factory-installed JBL sound system with Bluetooth/steering wheel controls/etc., and my Blackberry worked flawlessly. The DroidX, however, pairs easily, but callers consistently tell me that my mic audio fluctuates and sometimes cuts out.

The Camry has adjustable handsfree receive and transmit audio settings, but playing with that didn't alleviate the problem.

Hopefully 2.2 resolves this issue, or my DroidX is going back to Verizon and I'll return to the Blackberry. The DX is cool, but first and foremost it has to function safely and reliably as a communications device. The rest is icing on the cake.