Droid X battery life

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Mike8016, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Mike8016

Mike8016 Member

I just got the droid incredible a couple days ago and cant stand it and i am planning on returning it for the X. How is the battery life supposed to be on the X and also is Motorola software better than HTC? This is the first HTC phone i owned and cant stand how it is set up. Thanks
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

1. Battery life is on par with the Moto Droid

2. "Better" is subjective
  3. RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain New Member

Proper tweaking + buying an after market slightly larger battery can make a huge difference. If you can't stand how it's setup as far as UI/software, though.....well...dunno what to tell you, Sense UI has kind of been the best Android and WinMo UI for a good while now, in most people's eyes :)
  4. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Battery Life:

• Moto Droid - Pretty bad
    • HTC Droid Inc - Really bad
  5. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I went stock 2.1 because I may get the X and give the Droid to a family member, and right now, I don't have any complaints with battery life.
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

All the reviewers have been happy with the X's battery life. It's a smartphone, so it's not going to last multiple days. "Good" smartphone battery life is getting you through a full day.
  7. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

I thought the battery on the Moto Droid was pretty good, The DInc. is a different story...

Stock battery, Garbage
    Extended battery, good for a month... Then Garbage.

I wonder if I will ever get 3-4 days of battery life on any phone again like I did with my BB 8830WE.

On a side note, A very nice VZW Rep is extending the 30 day return policy on my Inc to 4 months.... Hello Droid X!
  8. sroach23

sroach23 New Member

9. Balthazar B

Balthazar B New Member

And don't forget that Verizon will release a mega-battery for the DX that will provide about a quarter more power than the stock one (with a modified case cover) for those who need it.
  10. Dark_Jedi

Dark_Jedi New Member

..im gonna need it lol
  11. ForeverInOur

ForeverInOur New Member

to get this mega battery, is it just an "accessory" that you will eventually have to buy? for like 50 bucks or something?
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I have no idea what the price will be, but yes, it will be available to purchase from Verizon.
  13. Philba

Philba New Member

I got a DX on the 15th and haven't been impressed with the battery life. I conditioned the battery at first. On the whole I'm getting about 8 hrs of general use (plus lots of showing to friends). If I forget to turn off wifi, it drops to like 5+ hrs.

In general, settings/battery manager/battery use shows about 3/4 of the usage is display.

I'm definitely going to spring for a car charger of some sort.
  14. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

I've done three full cycles on the battery and today is the first day it seems to be holding up similarly to my original droid. 4.5 hours and the phone is still at 90% with light usage.
  15. Philba

Philba New Member

what does "light usage" mean, mostly standby? I use gmaps, a little browsing, gmail and DL'd a few apps. I wonder if I've got a marginal battery?
  16. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

To me light usage is mainly using the phone when I get notifications (emails, craigslist updates, texts etc).
  17. wooball

wooball New Member

After calibrating (letting it die), the Battery Left widget reports 8 hours, 41 minutes, left for a 100% charge on my DX. Of course, mileage varies with use. My "old" Droid would report in the 12 hour neighborhood. I have been pounding it with HD videos at full screen brightness...
  18. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I have been through two cycles letting it drain and recharge. Unplugged last night and has been off for 16 hours. I checked FB once and received no txt, email or calls and I am down to 30%. Says 59 % was cell standby 28 % was display and 10 % was phone idle and 6 % percent was phone call I just got while posting this. I can't take not being able to use a phone cause the battery can't hang. Going to call Verizon and see what they say, might be going back to my reliable blackberry.
  19. wooball

wooball New Member

BTW, I use the the DX Battery Manager's, Smart Mode battery profile.
  20. hedbutter

hedbutter New Member

I had the incredible for 2 weeks, DX since thursday. The only reason i traded in was battery life, because it would be cheaper than buying a new battery.

Incredible:
    I shut down any apps that i previously downloaded and some of the preloaded apps, leaving only grooveshark running for an entire work day (8-4:30, grooveshark off maybe 30 min to an hour). This would leave me with between 4%-10% battery (According to battery widget).
    Droid X:
    I still have grooveshark running, however, i also leave other apps in the background (gmail, facebook, browser, maps, etc..) and have yet to get below 30% at the end of the work day. On its first full charge, it went an entire day of work streaming grooveshark, after work going to the bar and using it sparingly and lasted untill approximately 1 AM, and had 5% when i shut it off.

Personally, the DX was the way to go for me, i have 0 complaints so far, and the person who did the exchange at the verizon store told me he wouldnt have even sold me the incredible because of its battery life. I Hope this helps and welcome if you switch over.

Forgot to add that i use the smart phone setting.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010