Droid X Battery Life

lemodular

Reaction score
Before you return the battery back to VZW, try to do a factory reset and re-setup the phone. Although you did not find anything wrong with for TTS settings, there may be others. Give it a shot.

Rocko

Reaction score
Yes, a factory reset should always be included in the list of troubleshooting items.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
Before you return the battery back to VZW, try to do a factory reset and re-setup the phone. Although you did not find anything wrong with for TTS settings, there may be others. Give it a shot.

Verizon did this on 1-6-11. I started my logs after the reset.

From my first post:
My office bought me a Droid X for a company phone on 12-21-2010 (actually bought 2 at the same time, one for another employee). I have been having battery issues since it was given to me. I took the phone back to Verizon on 1-6-11, and was told that they needed to do a hard reset on the phone, but that there was nothing wrong with it. The sales rep I was speaking to even told me that it was "normal" for a Droid X to be dead after 7-8 hours depending on use. I asked her what if the phone is sitting on a desk with everything off, and she repeated her answer.

I guess I wasn't clear enough here, but the rep did the full reset at this time.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
With Android system Info running, it is showing a CPU load of 5-8%.

ASI and Android System are the only objects registering CPU activity.

Battery Stats

6h 43m 21s since unplugged

15% Batt remaining

Android OS 85%
Voice Calls 5%
Display 4%
Phone Idle 2%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

cjriddle22

Reaction score
With Android system Info running, it is showing a CPU load of 5-8%.

ASI and Android System are the only objects registering CPU activity.

Battery Stats

6h 43m 21s since unplugged

15% Batt remaining

Android OS 85%
Voice Calls 5%
Display 4%
Phone Idle 2%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

Something is definitely going on with the Android OS. It should not be that high. As others have stated, the display should be the highest, then maybe voice calls (if you have been making a lot of calls), then Android OS.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
When I click on the Andoird OS option, it says:

CPU Total 5h 11m 33s
Data Sent 13.24 KB
Data received 260.99 KB

When I take this thing back, should I change the battery or tell them I want a whole new phone?

As of now:

7h 0m 54s

10% Batt Left

Android OS 85%
Voice Calls 5%
Display 5%
Phone Idle 2%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
What version of Android is on it? A lot of people have been complaining about Android OS hogging the battery after the 2.2.1 update.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
When I click on the Andoird OS option, it says:

CPU Total 5h 11m 33s
Data Sent 13.24 KB
Data received 260.99 KB

When I take this thing back, should I change the battery or tell them I want a whole new phone?

As of now:

7h 0m 54s

10% Batt Left

Android OS 85%
Voice Calls 5%
Display 5%
Phone Idle 2%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

This is what mine reads:

7h 48m since unplugged

80% battey left

Android OS 21%
(CPU Total 13m 22s
Data Sent 11.14 KB
Data received 136.87 KB)
Display 19%
Phone Idle 5%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

I would tell them you want a whole new phone, and make sure they don't try to keep the same battery. I have had to switch out a phone within the 30 days before, and they made me keep the battery and battery door (this means the phone is a refurb). I would make them give you a brand new Droid X right out of the box. It seems that your problems are with the phone itself. The battery is probably not bad, something with the Android OS is messed up, but I would still make them switch everything. You have not had the experience you deserve. This phone is a beast.

They will prolly give you the hard reset run around. Tell them you have done this multiple times, be polite but firm and give them no other option.

Did you get it from a corporate store or an authorized retailer?

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
Yes, the phone did come from a corporate store. It was this store that told me a "Hard reset will fix all the issues you are having with the phone." It was the same store & same employee that told me it is normal for the phone to be dead within 7-8 hours depending on usage, and kept repeating the same line when I asked if that "usage" included sitting on a desk and not being touched.

I have 2 other employees that have since bought Droid 2s and they have not had any issues either. I want to say that we have 3 Droid X's and 4 Droid 2s in this office and no one has the issues that I have.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Before returning the battery, you should try the battery in another Droid X and see if that X has the same issue as well as trying another X's battery in yours. That will show whether it's a battery issue or phone issue.

Why? Because I have had several devices in the past, predominantly Canon digital cameras, which reported that perfectly good completely charged up batteries were dead and it would shut off. Swapping in another good battery exhibited the same results but taking any of those good (presumably dead) batteries and placing them into another exact camera (my brother's was available) showed there was nothing wrong with the battery and it worked fine for hours and hundreds of pictures in his camera.

So it's possible that the phone is the problem but you need that extra data point to be sure. Sounds like you might have a coworker or two who might help out.

Just a thought.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
I will try a battery swap tomorrow. However, here are the current stats.

I plugged the phone in at the office once it died at 330 pm. I unplugged the phone at 5:00 pm. At this time, I had 90 % of the battery remaining.

Now, as of 10:35 pm:

3h 8m 47s unplugged - Since I wasn't able to look at the phone while I was working tonight, I am assuming the phone rebooted around 7:25-7: pm. I unplugged the phone at 5 and should have ~5.5 hours unplugged at this point.

80% batt (1 missed call)

Cell Standby 41%
Phone Idle 27%
Display 25%
Android System 3%
Android OS 2%
com.motorola.service.main 2%

The interesting thing is that the OS is not running at 85%, and I have gone 3 hours and lost 10%. This is what I would think would be normal. I am assuming this is what happened the other couple of days when the phone actually lasted. I would love to know what causes the OS usage spikes.

Last edited:

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
I've recently had a huge spike in battery useage from the android system- up to 65% yesterday. Wierd, because I use Juice defender, and can get 1 1/2 days before the batt. woulld drop below 20%. What changed? Well, the top of the list in the Android system was the Google Backup Service (GBS). http://code.google.com/android/backup/index.html
(did you know you can tap the battery picture and get a list of associated services?) GBS- that's the one that throws up the sync symbol on the Right side of the status bar. (When it appears on the left its Moto backup assistant). I found all my google accounts had sync symbols next to them, but the circles weren't spinning, so they were presumeably hung. >settings>Accounts>[email protected]. I disabled them all, re-enabled them one at a time untill the sync was done. Its been 4 hours, the battery is not dying ~15% an hour on standby. Its not back to what it was, and now the VPN service is at the top of the Android system list. I use no VPN, DLNA is next, I don't use that either. I have Titanium Backup, and have frozen a few services& apps. But NONE that are com.motorola.*(anything).
When I was still haveing the sync symbol stuck, I even went back to stock, and the GBS was still at the top of the list.
If you have the same problem, that might help.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
The info I have posted has come from tapping the battery picture. This is the current info:

4h 21m 13s unplugged

80% batt (1 missed call)

Cell Standby 39%
Display 30%
Phone Idle 25%
Android System 3%
Android OS 2%

As you can see, this is it. Even after an hour sitting, the battery life has not dropped. But compared to the earlier readings, the OS is still much lower. Getting ready to plug the phone in for the night and see how it looks tomorrow.