Droid X at Walmart $89

B

budmonster

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next month and my girlfriends upgrade is on November 20th. I called the VZW rep and she said she would let us use our upgrades early, so I bought the Droid X for $199 and got the LG Ally for free (for my GF).

Should I return the phones to Verizon when I get them on Friday and just go to Walmart or somewhere where its cheaper? Will they(Walmart, BestBuy) let me upgrade early like the VZW rep did? Or did the VZW rep just do us a favor.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I believe the rep just let you upgrade early, to be eligible for the upgrade from walmart, the rep would have to actually move your eligibility date and put a note on the account. They seem to be less likely to do it for a third party than to allow you to get one from them.

micjmac

Reaction score
This is the same issue that I am having. I am eligible to upgrade 1 year early (I am in a 2 year contract right now), but I don't want to pay $200 for a new phone when 3rd parties are selling them dirt cheap. I am afraid that you are out of luck. Verizon told me that if I want the early upgrade that I need to call one of their certain sales units to order the phone because it is a special early upgrade promotion only being offered to certain customers. To further reinforce my point, I tried adding a phone to my shopping cart on Amazon, but it says I am not eligible for an upgrade yet, so I have concluded that an early upgrade is only possible from the sales rep that is offering it to you.

OP
B

budmonster

This is the same issue that I am having. I am eligible to upgrade 1 year early (I am in a 2 year contract right now), but I don't want to pay $200 for a new phone when 3rd parties are selling them dirt cheap. I am afraid that you are out of luck. Verizon told me that if I want the early upgrade that I need to call one of their certain sales units to order the phone because it is a special early upgrade promotion only being offered to certain customers. To further reinforce my point, I tried adding a phone to my shopping cart on Amazon, but it says I am not eligible for an upgrade yet, so I have concluded that an early upgrade is only possible from the sales rep that is offering it to you.

yeah i guess your right. oh well im getting the DX and LG Ally for my GF for $199. I'll take it I guess. I might return it though to Verizon once I find out when the HTC Merge is suppose to hit the Verizon stores/online. Also, you can return upgrade phones, right?

micjmac

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Verizon has a worry free guarantee policy where you have 30 days from the purchase date to return a phone if you do not like it for a complete refund. After that you would need insurance or a warranty in order to warrant sending the phone back to them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+ a $35 restocking fee per phone

I am pretty sure Verizon has a worry free guarantee policy where you have 30 days from the purchase date to return a phone if you do not like it for a complete refund. After that you would need insurance or a warranty in order to warrant sending the phone back to them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Horch it

Reaction score
if someone hasn't mentioned it yet, just buy the cheaper phone and activate it OTA when you are ready. Only problem is you don't know if phone is trouble free until you use it and warranty time is a runnin'. About the other phone, if you refuse delivery of "in the mail" phone, the PO must return it to vendor at no charge to you without incurring a restocking fee since you never took delivery. And, I make so implicit remarks about phone insurance.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It will show a pending order for the other phone

if someone hasn't mentioned it yet, just buy the cheaper phone and activate it OTA. If you refuse delivery of "in the mail" phone, the PO must return it to vendor at no charge to you!

Horch it

Reaction score

if someone hasn't mentioned it yet, just buy the cheaper phone and activate it OTA. If you refuse delivery of "in the mail" phone, the PO must return it to vendor at no charge to you!

you mean one can't buy two phones and gift one?
But the idea is to make sure the other phone gets returned, thus deactivating pending order

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The Wal-Mart price is with a new agreement (which is pending with the phone that's on its way) so no. The one that's in the mail would have to be refused, received by the warehouse, and they would cancel the order...then you could go get another one at Wal-Mart.

you mean one can't buy two phones and gift one?
But the idea is to make sure the other phone gets returned, thus deactivating pending order

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It is
The Ally would have to be sent back as well though...just a heads up.

if the 89.00 sale lasts long enough, it's doable