Droid X as a camera, yuck

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
We spent the day at the Grand Tetons taking pictures of wildlife and the turning of the colors. The wife and I took just under 400 pictures. I tried the Droid X camera for about 40 pictures and I like the wide landscape view of the camera but the pictures are just lousy. I know its a phone and not a camera but my old 1.3 megapix Motorola flip phone takes a much better picture. I tried all the various menu options to get an acceptable picture but I'm really disappointed in my results.
Is there any apps that will provide a better quick camera acceptable picture?????

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Wait doesn't the X have an 8.0MP camera? You should have no problems, there's got to be a setting or something. As far as apps go, well hardware is the only thing that can take a better picture.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that your old flip phone took better pictures than the X, the samples I have seen are pretty good....make sure you didn't turn down the quality or resolution.

Spanky

Reaction score
Strange, I took pictures of my son low light and they turned out pretty good.

OP
Gene Hirschman

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
I just looked over my settings and the only setting that I couldn't really determine as accurate was: RESOLUTION. It was defaulted to WIDESCREEN. I changed it to LARGE (8MP). I'll test it tomorrow to see if that helps the results.
Pictures are just not crisp and the mountains in the distance are so faint that they are nearly invisible.
I tried several of the scene options, ie: AUTO and LANDSCAPE, For EFFECTS I tried NORMAL and a few in BLACK & WHITE.
Most of the landscape pictures are just washed out and very dull.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vignette is my secondary camera on my Inc as it has anti shake and touch screen for shot taking and anti blur iso.
Try changing your iso to 200 by default they usually try to go too high. The lower the number the better the depth BUT blur can easily come into play below 200 and noise or wash out look can come in easily from 400 up.
Its a lot easier to balance it out on a stand alone but on my Omnia the best shots I get are in sport mode and/ or 200 iso with bright turned +/- notch from center, depending on lighting. On my Inc brightness on stock camera is a pita on the fly but Vignette is much easier to get right
I'd make my Vignette my primary camera but damfiremember how to do it

wified from my Incredible monolith using Swype or SlideIT on Tapatalk

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
In my opinion

Its not the droid x's hardware thats bad with taking pic's.

Try buying Prozoom 5x from the market. Works very well for me on my droid x. Otherwise I too was disppointed at the quality the of the doid X pics at first. Once I stopped using the stock camera app I was much happier.

OhSnap

Reaction score
the pictures from my droid x are garbage. the widescreen resolution look like crap.

mikells43

Reaction score
i went to nyc and did some tourist stuff, took my droid 2 with me, took all the pics with it, and videos, they turned out great, even used panaramic off of the top of the rockafeller bldg. looks like a digi cam took them.

pointzero1

Reaction score
Megapixel means nothing...It just means how big your can blow up your pictures to / print at, does NOT = photo quality.

On that note, Im disappointed with the X camera as well. But then again im coming from a Nokia N82 and Sony Ericsson K800, both excellent camera phones.

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
I agree on this

We spent the day at the Grand Tetons taking pictures of wildlife and the turning of the colors. The wife and I took just under 400 pictures. I tried the Droid X camera for about 40 pictures and I like the wide landscape view of the camera but the pictures are just lousy. I know its a phone and not a camera but my old 1.3 megapix Motorola flip phone takes a much better picture. I tried all the various menu options to get an acceptable picture but I'm really disappointed in my results.
Is there any apps that will provide a better quick camera acceptable picture?????

I too had this problem in low light even with flash , however during the day they are fine but indoors with low light flash dont help . pictures look blurry bad . So again in the day time fine in low light indoors or night terrible . why I dont know cuase I too had other phones with less megapixels that took better pictures than my DROID X . The video cam is fine just not the pic cam .well imma try that app I just heard about "PROZOOM 5x"
thanks

lloyd2398

Reaction score

you should try downloading fx camera its pretty good and great options

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score

thanks imma try that , my only issue is pictures at night or indoors in low light even with flash . but thanks again

lloyd2398

Reaction score

thanks imma try that , my only issue is pictures at night or indoors in low light even with flash . but thanks again

i think you will be happy with this app of fx camera i thought it was pretty good and also has a good reviews on it and better options hope it works out for you