Droid X and Pro battery issues. [And question about call quality.]

Corrodie

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I figured as I'm inquiring about two different models, it was the most suitable.
And I don't see it as a particular tech issue, just more of a question. [or few questions. haha]

My and my mother both went to renew our contracts yesterday, and decided to switch from our entry-level first-gen Blackberry Curves to Droids.
Her, the droid pro-Me, the droid x.

I was warned at purchase about the amount of battery drain on the phones as they do pull in so much data constantly, but I never assumed it would be like this. A phone with so much capability, and you can't even enjoy the full potential without having to hook up to a charger in an hour of constant activity? Even though my bbcurve was entry level and slow, I think I'd rather be dealing with that!
Now, I've gone through all of the things I could on both to preserve battery life, to little avail.
Cutting down update times to stop the extra data usage, AAKiller as suggested by Verizon at purchase [although from what I've been reading about them, I believe I may remove it. It hasn't seemed to help me too much, and of course is just an extra process But, I only use it manually. I will not use Autokill..] Turning off wifi, bluetooth, and gps. Turning down backlight to the absolute minimum, et cetera.

And still, on my mothers phone, in four hours from full charge, she's down to about 40% of life. Most of the time, it was in sleep mode. Slight IM and text use, and an hour long phone call.

Mine, I don't have a major estimate since I've configured it, but, in an hour it's gone from full charge to 80%. With only maybe a dozen texts, 2 minutes of browser use, and a two minute phone call. Otherwise, it's been asleep.

Now, I primarily use my phones for social networking [Facebook&Myyearbook], texting [sometimes I send about five, sometimes it's up too 100 depending on who I hear from, but texting has never proven a battery killer.], and browsing. [Of course the biggest battery user. It's convenient not to have to pull my laptop out if I simply want to check DeviantART messages, search directions, et cetera. But, I figured a phone with so much capability would reduce my need to lug my laptop around all the time. My laptop is here for gaming and digital art--why use it for small things I could easily do on my phone, right?]

I barely make calls, and when I do, they're around the 1-10 minute mark. Very rarely I reach an hour.
I from time to time will use my phone for instant messaging [AIM, Windows Live. But I do not keep it on for excessive periods of time. And as I have message forwarding on AIM, I usually only turn that on for a few moments to check who is on and initiate conversation, then sign out so it switches back to forwarding.]

I have removed widgets from all but three walls on my phone, on which I'm using four contact widgets on one [quick call and text shortcuts, you know.] Music app, and weather on two. and simple shortcuts to messages and whatnot on the third. [As I do have the tendancy to get lost, I was excited to hear that gps was free, and also bought the pack at purchase that includes the gps dock. So I do intend to use that occasionally as well.]

My mother uses the social networks, IM, and text frequently and a few short phone calls throughout the day.

After looking through threads, additional to the advice I've already put to use, I heard about battery cycling and letting the 'new' wear off.
Which I suppose I should have done before posting this, but as these forums are usually very contradictory from person to person, there are also the same amount of people saying it's useless, or that it just creates additional strain. [For cycling, not for just waiting it out, of course.]

We also are not using live wallpapers, although my mother would like to. [Of course, silly little perks can be fun sometimes.] And I can't say the typography ones in the market aren't appealing to me...but they're not needed..

So, what I'm asking is, what else could I do, so that I can further enjoy my phone? I'm used to having the same amount of use and being able to skip charging for two to three days if needed! [Although unless I'm out of town I will charge every night while asleep--as when at home I do use it as an alarm--seems the only thing that can wake me up--real alarm clocks just don't do the trick.]

Or, what is the best place to get, and what would be the best size, et cetera. For a bigger battery battery for each phone?

And for my call quality question...
My mother was told last night that she sounds like she's 'in a tunnel' or just very broken up and very hard to hear. We've never had this problem before, so I know it's not service. Is this normal for the pro, or should she return it to the store and ask for a replacement?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks~

ronaldodm123

Reaction score
I don't have a major estimate since I've configured it, but, in an hour it's gone from full charge to 80%. With only maybe a dozen texts, 2 minutes of browser use, and a two minute phone call. Otherwise, it's been asleep.

Conrey

Reaction score
Motorola Droid X has impressive long battery timing among devices running Android 2.1.The Droid Pro's rated talk time battery life is 6.5 hours which is fine as compare to other phones in market today . Its battery timing on laptop is 5 hours and 8 minutes . i think its not bad timing at all .