droid x and overclocking

chefb

Reaction score
I'VE been reading about overclocking and had many suggestions so this is where I'm at so far. I've downloaded set cpu.........im about to download jrummys ........umm any tips before I move forward? By the way I have a droid x.

cpjr

Reaction score
uninstall SetCPU, Jrummys app will do everything for you. Start with a small overclock and "test the waters" carefully, notching the speed up and tweaking it to see what works with your device. Each device runs differently, some wont run as fast as others. Mine will run all day long on 1.45ghz, but alot wont.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Might not want to get rid of seet cpu so fast. You can use it to make profiles to scale back the speed as you lose battery life or when temp gets hotter, jrummys can't do that yet so I use them both in conjunction.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
^Guess I never thought about that, dont have battery or heat issues, luckily......

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
uninstall SetCPU, Jrummys app will do everything for you. Start with a small overclock and "test the waters" carefully, notching the speed up and tweaking it to see what works with your device. Each device runs differently, some wont run as fast as others. Mine will run all day long on 1.45ghz, but alot wont.

I'm. Here's a question for you. If your X will run all day at 1.45Ghz, how much are you using it. I highly doubt that with a stock battery it will last 16-18 hours, under medium usage at that clock speed.

My X has been unpluged for 9 hours and is at 60% with about 20 minutes of talk and 20 minutes of streaming videos on NY times.com and about 20 minutes reading the forum in Tapatalk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
C

chefb

Reaction score

I'm. Here's a question for you. If your X will run all day at 1.45Ghz, how much are you using it. I highly doubt that with a stock battery it will last 16-18 hours, under medium usage at that clock speed.

My X has been unpluged for 9 hours and is at 60% with about 20 minutes of talk and 20 minutes of streaming videos on NY times.com and about 20 minutes reading the forum in Tapatalk.

You are the first person I seen underclock

OP
C

chefb

Reaction score
What is the governor and what are you supposed to do to overclock. I have theDx overclock app and set cpu...so how do they work together.how does the over app work?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can use whatever scaling governor you want. On demand will increase the speed as it is neeeded and performance will keep it as high as possible unless it needs to slow down. Not sure about userspace.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score

Sounds like your phone has a problem or its not setup right.

I run a constant MV 1.45ghz performance w/ the extended battery.

Today for example, here are my stats:

Unplugged for 14 hours

36 phone calls, approx. 2 hours talk

23 txt msgs

about 45 total minutes of "playing", no streaming video

Im at 50% battery right now :icon_ banana:

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@ chefb: I'm at the stock clock of 1ghz. Not under clocked.

@cpjr: streaming video from the web is a big drain on the battery. Also I have the stock battery.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Back to the main point of this topic, I use JRummy's Droid X/2 Overclock App.

I originally did it with a setscaling.sh file and a few custom scripts I wrote for ConnectBot but switched up because it was cheap.

It was 99 cents and overclocks, has profiles, custom settings for those of us who like to tweak, scaling sliders for easy min/max, a governor, and even a bunch of stock profiles that are preset so you can pick a fairly stable high overclock (not as good as making your own, but hey). They can be applied at boot as well.

It also has a bonus menu which includes an app blocker, apps to sd script, free memory script (which is dumb but whatever), manage cache script, build.prop edits, deletes market history, boot animation disabler, and a permissions fixer.

Pretty much it's baller. At 99 cents it's a ****in steal. He keeps updating it too.

EDIT:
Also it comes with a pretty slick widget with battery temp, governor setting, max and min settings

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Warning

Just since I didn't notice anyone else specify this already, I want to make sure you know not to set the overclock settings to set a startup until you are sure they are stable.

If you set overclock to 1.45 and set it to do so on boot, if your phone cannot handle it, you'll be stuck in a bootloop.

Now to add my 2 cents to the topic. I am able to overclock mine up to at least 1.4 ghz, but to do so I have to get my voltage setting in the 70's. I didn't see much performance gain other than benchmark scores(I don't really count them as much as real world usage).

For me, the upped voltage needed with little noticable performance made me decide to just slightly undervolt stock speed in hopes of better battery life.

Some users do excellent overclocking with low voltages. While I hate them for having a phone that will do this, I envy them because I wish I could overclock while keeping my voltage down.

Every phone is a bit different, so like other said, test out different settings. Do some real world stuff and see how you like the performance. Once your happy with something, set the overclock to happen on boot.

Good Luck. dancedroid

cpjr

Reaction score
FYI- Update to JRummy's app, now you can set profiles so there is really no need for SetCPU.

OP
C

chefb

Reaction score
overclocked on low voltage at 1.2....so far so good but before that I overclocked at 1.1 at medium voltage and on a on demand Gov. What should I look at to see if I'm pushing it to much ......besides high temp?

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
overclocked on low voltage at 1.2....so far so good but before that I overclocked at 1.1 at medium voltage and on a on demand Gov. What should I look at to see if I'm pushing it to much ......besides high temp?

Stress test. SetCPU has one built in, run that for over 5 minutes and see if you have any roboots.

Also, I've heard a good and more fun stress test is to stream pandora while playing angry birds. Do that for a good 10-15 minutes and see if you can still hold the phone (due to heat), or if you get any reboots.

You really want to do something that's going to force the cpu to run at the highest level for a while to see how it reacts.

Not sure about jrummy's app, but setcpu will also allow you to lock in at different frequencies to make sure their settings are ok as well. It is possible that the voltage at 300mhz is too low and could cause lockup while retuning from sleep state (just an example). Just keep in mind that you most likely affected all the frequencies and voltages, so you could possibly get a lockup while doing something minimal.