Droid X a disappointment in Europe

ericsbcn

Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there were CDMA/GSM world phones. :)

I know that with GSM, carriers in the US use a different frequency than Europe. So even a normal US GSM phone won't work in Europe. You need a GSM World phone, which can use both the US and Europe GSM frequencies.

Burnintrees

Reaction score
like i said earlier OP bought the wrong phone. Droid X is not a world phone and OP should wait from droid pro.

tobytl

Reaction score
The newest version of Skype, which just was released 2-3 days ago is wifi compatible. I use wifi when at home and am on Skype all the time.

Didn't that only enable wifi while using Skype? I though Skype itself was still using the 3G, but leaving wifi on for other things...

ericsbcn said:
Verizon can't "enable international use". Verizon is CDMA and Europe is GSM. So no Verizon phone will work in Europe. (Well, unless they have a phone that does both CDMA and GSM. But I don't know if there is such a thing).

This is no longer technically true (the europe=gsm bit). A growing number of European countries actually have CDMA coverage (mostly eastern europe). Some countries are using the same 800Mhz band for voice that Verizon uses, data is all over the place though.

You could try another app like Fring, I think Skype is still blocking them, but you can do voice over MSN or GTalk (maybe others)... Or if you have someone extremely technically inclined around, you can have them try and set up sipdroid (it's not actually that hard, but the documentation is lacking... and some is outdated).

Ralffers

Reaction score
The newest version of Skype, which just was released 2-3 days ago is wifi compatible. I use wifi when at home and am on Skype all the time.

Didn't that only enable wifi while using Skype? I though Skype itself was still using the 3G, but leaving wifi on for other things...

That very possibly may be the case ,if so than my mistake - apologies.