Droid X 2.2 Upgrade SNAFU

swbouton

Reaction score
My Droid X was fine, just fine, until I "upgraded" to 2.2 yesterday. Ever since then my "Market" has been missing and alternative methods of install any apps fail.

For example, when I tried to install "Google's My Tracker" I get a "Not Found Error 404". Thjis happens with other app installation attempts as well. This is a new problem conincident with the 2.2 SNAFU.

From what I read so far, a factory resset is the only alternative. I don't have the time for that right now.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Reaction score
I can't believe that a factory reset is the best they can do, but that's what Verizon told me, too. I'm afraid that would clear out files and data that are in use in my "Office" and Task applications. Also, wouldn't that set your operating system back to the state it was in before the upgrade?

OP
S

swbouton

Reaction score
I made a list of my apps and made other notes I thought might be necessary, then I backed up the SD card and did the factory reset.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and it did resolve my problem. I think it took me about 90 minutes.

During the process I moved to Dolphin Browser and K9 Email which were big improvements over the Motorola products.

Steve

OP
S

swbouton

Reaction score
No, I was not bumped back at all. After the factory reset I was on still 2.2 (which surprised me) with none of the apps I had added. I went through my list, installed what I wanted eliminating several and adding a few more. There were a few minor glitches that required me to uninstall and reinstall an app again, but no big deal. I restored my pics and music to my SD chip and all is well.

In the end, I'm happy I did it ... better apps and it runs better than ever.

axobeauvi

Reaction score
why is the broken update still available?

I waited until now and the update still broke the market.
a. Why didn't they pull it until it was fixed?
b. Where is an apk of the market that can be downloaded to fix this mess?

It's bad enough that the update makes other things unstable (music player skips, things just crash, I've never had to power it down all the time like now)
But the missing market makes updating installed apps a real pain.

Verizon should really do something, what happened to the months of testing they were doing?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Usually what happens is the OTA pushed-install doesn't install as well as they'd hoped. This is one of the reasons a lot of experienced users recommend a manual install.

Try reinstalling the update if you can find the update.zip to download. If not, make sure you're backing up your data with Google and do a factory reset. Your apps should download again as soon as you've signed back into your account. Your data stored on the SD card should be completely intact.