• f that whats next android

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sure if everything else wasn't trashed in the process

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdavis630

Reaction score
So my x has been running smooth then yesterday for no reason everything went down hill. I plugged it in to my computer for mass storage mode transfers (i do this all the time). Now I'm having problems with my music shutting off for no reason. Apps are running slow or force closing for no known reason. Here's what I've done so far.

1. I've completely reset the phone and started from the beginning.
2. I've backed up my sdcard and formatted it starting from scratch.
3. I've made sure all apps are on the phone and not the sdcard
4. I've ran a virus scan on the phone
5. Called Verizon LOL they claim they reset these features over the phone (suuure)

Still the same everything. When i plug it in for mass storage mode it just cuts mass storage on and off repeatedly until my computer ends up freezing from trying to read it.

The only app I've installed even remotely close to this problem was the dolphin browser and some of its add ons.

Any help? Pleeease. This x is seriously getting ready to by my ex LOL

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Things to try.

Reseat the SD card.

Try booting the phone without the SD card, or another card if you have one.

Examine the MicroUSB port with a magnifying glass. Look for damage or looseness in the connector.

Not all problems are software, so it always pays to examine the hardware closely, just in case.

OP
S

sdavis630

Reaction score
I did start the phone with a different sdcard Thad had been formatted. The phone actually ran super smooth but I had no music or picture files installed on it. That card was an 8g high capacity card or something like that. Suppose to have a super fast read/write time. Does that even make a difference? Only thing is i still wasn't able to use mass storage. Same exact thing as the stock 16g.

Fotmatted the 16g put some music and my pics back on it but several apps keep force closing. I haven't had this problem with 2.2 until now. I did uninstall my task killer since they say 2.2 doesn't require it.

Do you use a task killer? Sorry for the randomness. This is just an odd situation. Usually problems end up coming from user error which i don't put myself past but starting from scratch clean card and all should fix it. Wouldn't you think?

Do you install your available apps to your SD card? I did have mine set that way but i though thy might be causing a glitch so i switched them back.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Ok, just to be sure we are on the same page. Do you know how to switch the USB modes on your phone between Mass Storage, PC Mode, etc? I figure you do but don't want to assume myself into a corner.

The 8GB card, was that formatted in the phone, or by some other means? If the phone did not format it then it is possible that it was never mounted. The speed of the 8GB card would only be important if the phone is also capable of accessing the card at the higher speeds. I don't know if it is.

Getting rid of Task Killer was probably a good idea on general principle. I doubt it would effect your ability to access the SD card on the computer, unless you had it killing something other than apps. I used Task Killer for a short time, until I read about it possibly shorting my battery life. I used to have these sudden battery suicides for no apparent reason. Removing Task Killer made these less frequent, but did not stop them completely. Since 2.2 my battery life has been predictable, and maybe a bit better than before.

I've never moved apps to the SD card. No reason to, since I've plenty of phone memory left.

A clean format on the SD card is a good idea. Do the format in the phone, not on a computer. Be sure all your data is stored safely somewhere else before doing it. Try this with the 16GB card, and if that doesn't fix it do it with the 8GB as well. SD cards do go bad occasionally, and formatting doesn't always fix them.