1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid X 2.2 Rooting A to Z

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by scubieman, Sep 27, 2010.

1. scubieman

scubieman New Member

I am new to forums and new to droid and rooting. I would love to root for wifi tether, bloat ware, and freedom over system but have Many questions.

First looking through forums are hard cause maybe forums in my opinion have bits and pieces of answers and do not have all the information I would like before going through with rooting. If I messed up finding the correct or all in one forum let me know and give the link please.

First what's the best way to root. I seen many different methods.

Second If I root but did not put custom rom,kernel, etc. on there and verizon has another update and I take it and lose root is that bad and can I get it back if wanted?

Third what is all I need from a to z to stop verizon updates on my phone and to continue running custom roms. For example I need to root, do custom recovery program(recommend a progrom) then need to just use that for custom rom and other things are optional.

Fourth how to get droid x back to stock in case I need warranty things done.

fifth anything that I may need, want, or will use to get this done. Like programs, cables.

I basically just want a know it all with all answers needs for someone off the street to have a successful rooting experience.

Recommend ROMS please.

Thanks for your time reading my topic.

EDIT: i have everything figured out now. If anyone needs help let me know.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

need help with wireless tether

did you get your wireless tether to work....if so please let me know what i am doing wrong....3 days in and cant figure it out....
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    :welcome: to the forums! What phone do you have? Most importantly, are you rooted?
  4. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

droid x....and i am rooted and wireless tether app installed...it shows everything to be working but is not broadcasting wifi signal
  5. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

my friend has the evo and he rooted his and his wireless tethering is working fine...we tried mine with no success
  6. furbearingmammal

Does the app have SuperUser permissions? Check the ninja/pirate droid. :)

And sorry for asking what phone. Whenever I don't see a phone listed in the info panel I ask. Force of habit. :)
  7. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

that is the one i have on here now....not working ...may not have settings right....any help would be greatly appreciated
  8. furbearingmammal

Open the ninja/pirate droid and look to see if Wireless Tether has permissions or not. You should have been asked when you first opened the app to give it permission or not. If you didn't get asked something glitched and the net result is usually denied permissions.
  9. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

i do have superusers app
  10. furbearingmammal

So you've said twice. Open the superuser app. Look to see if there's a listing for the Wireless Tethering app in there. If so, make sure it's set to allow permissions.
  11. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

yeah..it did ask if it has permissions or not....that is why i cant understand why it is not working....everything looks fine nbut it will not broadcast the wifi signal...and i catch crap from my friend...he said it is a piece of crap because he got his evo working....
  12. furbearingmammal

What version of the app are you running? And did you get it from the Market or the Google Code servers?
  13. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

from google code servers...the latest version..2_0_5-pre11....also tried the one before it....
  14. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

i have also tried the app from the marker...neither works
  15. furbearingmammal

Does your X have any issues connecting to a WiFi network?
  16. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

no...it connects fine and my 3g mobile hotspot connects fine(i dont have it activated ...but other devices pick it up) it is just the wireless tether that is having problems....thought maybe at first my phone wasnt rooted correctly but everthing other than that works good
  17. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

tried to connect to ps3 and it says access point not detected ....and researching on here was told the ps3 would not connect but my friends evo does....and it will also pick up my wireless hotspot but not wireless tether
  18. scubieman

scubieman New Member

skdroidx I have same issue with my droidx and wifi tether. Connecting isn't such a issue but the stupid connection gives out and stops tethering data. Unsure of fix but I never really needed it to work . If you find someone let me know. I tried different tether apps and different version of wifi tether versions.
  19. furbearingmammal

Did you uninstall or just install over the newer one? If you just installed over it, some data might not have cleared out. Try uninstalling it, reinstalling it, etc. Are you broadcasting on a channel that's already polluted?

Finally, are you ROM'd or running rooted stock?
  20. skdroidx

skdroidx New Member

i did uninstall the previous before installing the new one...not sure what u mean by polluted channel....and not sure about romed or rooted stock....that is where i thought the problem may be....all i have done was root the phone and install wireless tether....am i missing a download or something....that is literally all i have done.....sorry...i am new at this..i thought everything was installed that i needed when i rooted the phone and used superusers
Search tags for this page
4z root

z root droid x

z root x =2

zforoot

zforroot phone free download