Droid X 2.2 Rooting A to Z

scubieman

Reaction score
I am new to forums and new to droid and rooting. I would love to root for wifi tether, bloat ware, and freedom over system but have Many questions.

First looking through forums are hard cause maybe forums in my opinion have bits and pieces of answers and do not have all the information I would like before going through with rooting. If I messed up finding the correct or all in one forum let me know and give the link please.

First what's the best way to root. I seen many different methods.

Second If I root but did not put custom rom,kernel, etc. on there and verizon has another update and I take it and lose root is that bad and can I get it back if wanted?

Third what is all I need from a to z to stop verizon updates on my phone and to continue running custom roms. For example I need to root, do custom recovery program(recommend a progrom) then need to just use that for custom rom and other things are optional.

Fourth how to get droid x back to stock in case I need warranty things done.

fifth anything that I may need, want, or will use to get this done. Like programs, cables.

I basically just want a know it all with all answers needs for someone off the street to have a successful rooting experience.

Recommend ROMS please.

Thanks for your time reading my topic.

EDIT: i have everything figured out now. If anyone needs help let me know.

Last edited:

skdroidx

Reaction score
need help with wireless tether

did you get your wireless tether to work....if so please let me know what i am doing wrong....3 days in and cant figure it out....

skdroidx

Reaction score
droid x....and i am rooted and wireless tether app installed...it shows everything to be working but is not broadcasting wifi signal

skdroidx

Reaction score
my friend has the evo and he rooted his and his wireless tethering is working fine...we tried mine with no success

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Does the app have SuperUser permissions? Check the ninja/pirate droid. :)

And sorry for asking what phone. Whenever I don't see a phone listed in the info panel I ask. Force of habit. :)

skdroidx

Reaction score
that is the one i have on here now....not working ...may not have settings right....any help would be greatly appreciated

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Open the ninja/pirate droid and look to see if Wireless Tether has permissions or not. You should have been asked when you first opened the app to give it permission or not. If you didn't get asked something glitched and the net result is usually denied permissions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So you've said twice. Open the superuser app. Look to see if there's a listing for the Wireless Tethering app in there. If so, make sure it's set to allow permissions.

skdroidx

Reaction score
yeah..it did ask if it has permissions or not....that is why i cant understand why it is not working....everything looks fine nbut it will not broadcast the wifi signal...and i catch crap from my friend...he said it is a piece of crap because he got his evo working....

skdroidx

Reaction score
from google code servers...the latest version..2_0_5-pre11....also tried the one before it....