Droid X 2.2 Rooted using Droid 2 root method

bmt626

Reaction score
I have tested this my self on my droid x the new droid2 root method will work on droid x foyo

How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers

oh btw i am not responsible if anything happens to your device nor the the finder of the droid2 root method but if you have any worries have the droid x sbf file on stand by

ENJOY :) i am happy to have root again

OP
B

bmt626

Reaction score
Also as a security precaution you may want to remove the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file once your done

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Worked for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was rooted on 2.1 and followed the wrong directions when I upgraded to 2.2 so I lost root. Follow the instructions for How to root Droid 2 . It worked for me! Like I said I was rooted in 2.1 and lost it so I have no idea if it will work for someone that never had root. I followed the instuctions from post #1 and post #7. #7 makes changes to post #1 so read them both before you start. I also had to give full path to the c: drive when I did the adb push. After I finished the phone still acted as no root but after a battery pull it works now.

debaucher

Reaction score
Ok, just wanted to thank you for pointing me to the other thread... who I also thank.
I never rooted my 2.1 droid x and did the update the the leaked 2.2 froyo and figured a one click root would be out for the 2.2 by the time I needed root.
But, found myself needing the wifi tether today so I did some searching and came to your post.

Gave it a shot and everything is working great.
No problems getting root going following the first post in the tread you pointed to.

Thanks again

D.

sheba611

Reaction score
So glad to get Root back!

Thanks so much for finding this method to root the Droid X with Froyo. I followed the instructions on alldroid.org for upgrading to Froyo and keeping root but I lost root anyway. This method worked great! I turned debug off when I first connected USB so the drivers would install again. I then turned on debug and waited again for drivers to install. I had to use Windows Media Sync instead of PC mode when I connected USB so adb would find the device. For some reason the Motorola drivers don't recognize PC mode with Froyo. I also had to do a battery pull after the installation for the phone to recognize it was rooted. After that I used Titanium backup to re-install all my apps. Now I am a happy camper!
dancedroid

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
Can someone help a noob?

When I go to install the drivers and ADB it tells me that a newer version of the driver is already installed and it won't let me install it.

But when I go to continue with the directions none of the ADB commands work because it's not installed.

Also how do you enable USB debugging?

Soupy McD

Reaction score
Can someone help a noob?

When I go to install the drivers and ADB it tells me that a newer version of the driver is already installed and it won't let me install it.

But when I go to continue with the directions none of the ADB commands work because it's not installed.

Also how do you enable USB debugging?

Hmmm. Looks like there could be a couple things going on. The drivers for your DX are automatically installed when you plug it in (assuming you are running under Win7). The driver files are just to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed.

To get access to your droid with ADB, do this:

1. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > Enable USB debugging
2. Bring up the pull down top menu, select USB connection, enable PC mode. Your droid will reconnect, and a little droid guy icon will pop saying you have USB debugging enabled.
3. Control Panel > Device Manager
4. Top of the list, "ADB Devices"
5. Right click, select update driver, browse, find the drivers given in the root files, let me choose drivers, deselect show compatible hardware drivers, select MOT composite ADB device.
6. Let it install
7. Go to the thread walking you thru root. Should be able to access ADB device thru command prompt!

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
First off I do have Win 7 64 bit

OK I enabled USB debug, but the droid debug icon only shows up in my notification bar if I have it in USB storage mode, but it goes away when I switch to PC mode.

Also in my device manager when I try to install the driver for the "Motorola ADB device" I browse to the correct folder but it does not give me an option to deselect compatible drivers and it only says "Cannot find driver" and then just gives me the option to close.

gaza767

Reaction score
i don't know why i am not seeing more of this.. very easy to do... worked great.. i had tried to do the 2.1 root than 2.2 upgrade, but had some problems in the upgrading.. this worked just as well for me and i like that i did not have to go back down to 2.1 to rook..

great work

debaucher

Reaction score
i don't know why i am not seeing more of this.. very easy to do... worked great.. i had tried to do the 2.1 root than 2.2 upgrade, but had some problems in the upgrading.. this worked just as well for me and i like that i did not have to go back down to 2.1 to rook..

great work

Agreed.
This should be a sticky so more people can find it.

tmar23

Reaction score
This method worked for me as well. Very simple. I could not get my phone to connect to ADB via PC mode, but the media sync mode worked just fine. Now have root on the X running froyo!

gb_ballz

Reaction score

OK I enabled USB debug, but the droid debug icon only shows up in my notification bar if I have it in USB storage mode, but it goes away when I switch to PC mode.

Also in my device manager when I try to install the driver for the "Motorola ADB device" I browse to the correct folder but it does not give me an option to deselect compatible drivers and it only says "Cannot find driver" and then just gives me the option to close.
Heyy, I'm kinda new to this and I'm having the same exact problem you had. I was just wondering, how exactly did you end up fixing it? I'm stuck where you were :-\.

edit: or if anybody else on here might know how I can go about fixing this problem?

Last edited:

tmar23

Reaction score

Heyy, I'm kinda new to this and I'm having the same exact problem you had. I was just wondering, how exactly did you end up fixing it? I'm stuck where you were :-\.

edit: or if anybody else on here might know how I can go about fixing this problem?
What is your problem? If you can't get the phone to recognize in PC mode, try turning OFF usb debugging first, and then plugging it in and see if it recognizes your phone. If it does, make sure you turn it back on to root. Or, if your phone is recognized in the media sync mode, this process will work in that mode.