Droid X 2.2 Benchmark?

abe7333

Reaction score
Actually, scores have nothing to do with bloatware so long as its not running. Read the forum, many tweaks are discussed if you want a higher score.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Got it. Thanks. Does tweeking makes the phone faster?

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

shinkamui

Reaction score
Honestly, it really isn't MUCH faster. Video screams with the tweaks, thats about it. Anything with 2D hardware acceleration gets a huge boost, but the only practical change I've seen has been with Flash video. I've been meaning to make a video, Ill put something together for you guys to check out. The only thing I care about, still hasn't improved in speed, and thats Castlevania SOTN.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Actually, scores have nothing to do with bloatware so long as its not running.

That applies Only IF you use some sort of method (won't mention those, don't like them) to manually stop some of them from loading automatically..

Look at my creen caps above, I have never even opened the Skype app, EVER, since owning my DX (don't even have a Skype account)... yet it is always loaded. Same goes for a few other of the Bloats.

hellfire

Reaction score
Actually, scores have nothing to do with bloatware so long as its not running.

That applies Only IF you use some sort of method (won't mention those, don't like them) to manually stop some of them from loading automatically..

Look at my creen caps above, I have never even opened the Skype app, EVER, since owning my DX (don't even have a Skype account)... yet it is always loaded. Same goes for a few other of the Bloats.

Curious.. Why so low? Have you not modded build.prop?

fizik

Reaction score
How do I go about modding the build prop for the stagefright line? I can't seem to find it in there.

hellfire

Reaction score
I seem to have been too lazy to go there, except that first time. Hahah.

fizik

Reaction score
After editting stagefright I was able to break 2000 on my quadrants. Anyone know the downside of setting stagefright to true?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
After editting stagefright I was able to break 2000 on my quadrants. Anyone know the downside of setting stagefright to true?

That IS the downside, only the engineers at Moto or Google know for sure......and they ain't talk'n.

AND, it is entirely posssible that just changing that could change how Quadrant does it's scoring...ya never know...your phone could actually be slower...but show higher Quadrant scores.

That is why IMHO "unmolsted" system scores are the only ones that really mean anything for eveyone to understand and have a baseline to compare to when they make changes like adding Themes, ROMs, apps etc.
Just like Dyno runs, you can do all sorts of things (and I see Performance Part Manufactures do it all the time) to skew the results...in the end the only result that matters is what the product (or mod/enchancement in this case) gives you in real world usage on your car (phone).

AND, a simple (and as most know, totally all over the place with results) test like Quadrant isn't really going to show you that, usage in daily life will.

But it is fun for entertainment!!!

Concerning the StageFright settings as a whole, there have been many discussions on changing the settings from false to true, or vice versa and what it does for different phones.

In the earlier versions of 2.2 for the Droid 1 it was said changing this to false (it was true stock in Droid BP) made the streaming Music apps work better.

Then there weres some that said this caused other issues, then some that said it was fixed by Google and woudl be incoroprated in the latest releases, then some that said you had to change the settings AND install never library files in system/lib for it to work correctly.. and on and on.

AND, that was just for the Droid 1. I haven't seen any mention of changing this in the D2 or Dx yet... but it is interesting that the engineers at Moto or maybe as directed by Google set them to false in the DX and D2 which has different hardware (and of course software) than the D1...

Bottom line is I haven't seen one true expert/engineer say one way or the other for the DX, or concrete evidence one way or the other...in those type cases, I always stick with what the Professionals set things at.

BUT, I don't think anyone reported a Droid catching on fire after changing those, so try it for a while and see how YOU like it, with the apps and way you use the phone, in the end that is all that matters.

Last edited:

Cosmic Droid

Reaction score

I set it to true, tested a few things out, then set it back to false. While a 2K+ Quadrant score does look sexy and gives something to brag about, i must agree with 928Droid that true performance comes from daily use. That being said...

The ONLY thing I tested with media.stagefright=true was my video player. Videos did not play. To me showing videos on the Droid X is sexier than a high Quadrant score. If you do not watch videos from your phone then I say go for it. Also try out YouTube, video streaming on the phone's browser, Pandora/Slacker, Flash-enabled websites, things like that. I didn't test those myself.

It's all preference, really.

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
The Thread that keeps going and going...
[video=youtube;QxafIhYFOr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0[/video]

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

I set it to true, tested a few things out, then set it back to false. While a 2K+ Quadrant score does look sexy and gives something to brag about, i must agree with 928Droid that true performance comes from daily use. That being said...

The ONLY thing I tested with media.stagefright=true was my video player. Videos did not play. To me showing videos on the Droid X is sexier than a high Quadrant score. If you do not watch videos from your phone then I say go for it. Also try out YouTube, video streaming on the phone's browser, Pandora/Slacker, Flash-enabled websites, things like that. I didn't test those myself.

It's all preference, really.

Exactly what I was talking about (and suspected), don't just jump on every mod you see. These are high tech devices and one of those mods you may try just may not be recoverable from.

Bottom line is no matter what any of us (and yes us, as in is me too) think we know about these phones...well honestly we don't have a clue. We are for the most part just hacking and crossing our fingers, nothing more. The ones that do are know are working their tails off at Motorola, Google and HTC etc...well not so much HTC, yuk J/K :)

And a score on a phone that does not function at least as good in EVERY way as a stock phone (should be better not less)..... is not a score, it's just a number IMHO.

On top of that I got some videos on my phone that would make a sailor blush....no way am I giving that up for a number ...:icon_eek:

fishstick600

Reaction score
Woot just got a 1508!! I've been getting high 1400s lately tho