Droid would not stay awake

margo

Reaction score
Hi, I would appreciate help. I have droid w/multimedia station. When I put it in the morning and the battery is not full, it would charge and the setting is "to stay awake while charging", however, as soon as it is full, it stopps charging and even though it is connected to the AC outlet through the dock, it goes to sleep after about a minute which defits the purpose of having a dock for me.

bcip75

Reaction score
Hi Margo,
I'm not much of a techie, but I did see that if you go to Settings, then Applications, then Development, you will see an option to Stay Awake, which will prevent it from sleeping while it's charging. Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ you don't need/shouldn't do this.

lets troubleshoot what's happening;

are you sure all of your connections are secure?
is your charger plugged into a switched outlet (like a light switch)?
do you get the animated battery icon with the lightning bolt?
have you tried plugging the cable that plugs in the back of the dock directly into your phone?

OP
M

margo

Reaction score
Resolved--faulty dock

Thank you for assistance. I already had stay awake options enable. The issue was w/faulty dock station. They gave me a new one in the store. It is working so far. Interesting that when I called motorolla they kept sayint that it was a correct behavior which did not make any sense. The store said that you can NOT keep droid in dock most of the day as it is bad for the battery. Can someone tell me how long can a droid w/full battery remain in the dock? I do not use much when I am in the office, but when I have to leave, I am a very heavy user and I never know when I need to go, so I thought to always keep the battery full, but I do not want o overy charge. Can I keep it 5 hours, or more less. Please let me know--confused

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can't overcharge batteris in these devices. there's protection built-in. li-ion batteries are designed to be ON the carger (opposite of nicad batteries). it's OK to leave your phone on the charger for hours, days or weeks.

OP
M

margo

Reaction score
New cradle--would not stay awake when battery full

Okay, i have a new cradle. In the morning it was charging and then the battery became full and it stayed awake and the screen did not time out. Now, I removed it to make a call and so on, came back 10 min later, put it back in the cradle. The battery is still full, it is not showing that it is charging and the screen is timing out after 1 minute. I do not get it, should is not it still stay awake or is this how it is supposed to be. Does it mean that it would resume charging w/out me doing anything or what? thanks.