Droid won't save contacts

RoofiesFTW17

Reaction score
I just got my Droid today, and managed to save one contact to it. Every other time I tried, it would say "contact saved" but I could not find it anywhere. I tried it with different people, but to the same effect.

kauaikid

Reaction score
I just got my Droid today, and managed to save one contact to it. Every other time I tried, it would say "contact saved" but I could not find it anywhere. I tried it with different people, but to the same effect.
I had the same problem and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Verizon CS. When they couldn't figure it out, they transferred me to a tech and he couldn't get it to work all the time. Sometimes a contact is added...sometimes they're not. In the end, he recommended taking the phone in and getting a new one, but I already have almost all my contacts loaded and a new Invisible Shield as well. I ended up just going to my gmail account and adding a few more contacts there. Phone synced them and problem was done for now. Still deciding if I need to return the phone for a new one.

kk

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
In contacts, hit youy menu button and then display options. You can configure different display options here. If some of your contacts don't have phone numbers but you still want them to show up in your list, make sure that you uncheck the "only contacts with phones" option. Then, under that, but in the same screen, click your contact database and make sure you have all of the groups checked. If they still don't show up after this, then I don't know what the problem may be.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Don't throw in the towel just yet

In contacts, hit youy menu button and then display options. You can configure different display options here. If some of your contacts don't have phone numbers but you still want them to show up in your list, make sure that you uncheck the "only contacts with phones" option. Then, under that, but in the same screen, click your contact database and make sure you have all of the groups checked. If they still don't show up after this, then I don't know what the problem may be.

Did you make up a G-mail account? I found once I did that and set it up to 'synchronize' the list, my lost contact problem disappeared.

This phone takes a lot of fiddling around to get it down pat. Don't get discouraged. I almost took it back the second day, but with the help of folks on this site, I'm a Droid-loving maniac now... :icon_ lala:

robsin

Reaction score
Unable to save contacts

This is completely frustrating. I have gone into the options under contacts and show everything so my contacts jump up from 94 to 600 or so (from my gmail account). Then I add a new contact, first name, last name, then some phone numbers. Say DONE and it says saving, and then it does NOT show up in the contacts list. Can't find it via searching the contacts or anything. All my gmail contacts (mostly just email addresses) will show up, but I cannot get a new contact to show up for ANYTHING. Interesting, my wife also has the same problem. Brand new droids purchased less than a month ago.:icon_evil:
COMPLETELY FRUSTRATING. Other than that, a lot to like on this phone, but not being able to put in contacts directly into the phone is unacceptable.:mad:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you make up a G-mail account? I found once I did that and set it up to 'synchronize' the list, my lost contact problem disappeared.

This phone takes a lot of fiddling around to get it down pat. Don't get discouraged. I almost took it back the second day, but with the help of folks on this site, I'm a Droid-loving maniac now... :icon_ lala:

^^^
This is the answer. This is a Google phone. Everything is integrated with Google and Gmail. Your contacts are saved in gmail.

Work with your contacts out of your gmail settings. You will find it easier then trying to set them up on the phone. You can save on the phone as well, but if you've saved it and you're not seeing it then it's probably something in your gmail settings that needs adjustment.

Check this out too: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pending-submissions-questions/30042-contact-list-issuess.html

robsin

Reaction score
Thanks

I found the solution in another post. under contacts/display options. I had to click my gmail account (go-figure) since I only had used gmail for email only, to uncover the 5 or six (by default 'unchecked') items that I needed to check in order to "see" a contact I just entered into my phone.
Seems very kludgy to have to do that, but oh well. At least I'm there now. Just had to check "System Group: My Contacts" and then they showed up.

Thanks for posting.

mosses86

Reaction score
:blackberry:

This actually worked 4 me!

begeman

Reaction score
I went into contacts, hit you menu button and then display options. clicked my gmail account towards the bottom of the screen. everything was already checked so i unchecked everything and saved. then went back in and checked everything and saved again. contacts that I had tried to add then showed up and am having no problems.

WarrenPClark

Reaction score
Problem adding contacts SOLVED

I had been trying to add someone to my contacts list. Droid told me it was saved, but then it was not in my contact list. I called Verison tech support and they too were baffled. Tried every way I could think of to add this number.

Turns out that the number WAS being added, but somehow this "contact" was being linked to another entry that inadvertently had this guy's number in it. So, when I tried to add the number for my friend, it kept putting him into the other contact.

I figured out what was going on by manually dialing the number I was trying to enter. This brought up the OTHER contact. When I looked at the contact, it was linked to about a dozen entries for my friend - one for each time I tried to add him. The trick was to click the menu item and Unlink each of them. I renamed one to my friend's name and deleted the others.

Hope this helps.