Droid won't power off when charging

fwiw

Reaction score
When I go to power off my Droid while its USB charger is plugged in, it shuts down and then immediately powers on again. If I power it off without the charger in, it shuts down fine. But then as soon as I plug in the charger the Droid powers on. Is this potentially some sort of hardware bug? Is there some sort of setting that might be causing this? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's normal, all Droids do this.

There have been several threads about this, please use the search function next time

OP
F

fwiw

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

I did indeed search for this issue on the forums before posting, using several different search criteria which felt relevant. All turned up nothing.

Again, thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for your response.

I did indeed search for this issue on the forums before posting, using several different search criteria which felt relevant. All turned up nothing.

Again, thanks.

glad to help and welcome to the forums and your Droid!

Also you will be noticing an update within the week. There is a thread about it already so feel free to read up on it there, but since you seem new, just mess around with the phone. It's awesome:icon_ banana:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

There have been several threads about this, please use the search function next time

Unfortunately ALL droids do not do this. I am charging mine right now, and i decided to turn it off, just to check and it has not come back on, and the charging light is still active.

If the droid is off, and you put the power into it. yes it will turn your device back on, if the device is on and you put the power plug in and THEN turn your phone off, it does not restart.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Unfortunately ALL droids do not do this. I am charging mine right now, and i decided to turn it off, just to check and it has not come back on, and the charging light is still active.

If the droid is off, and you put the power into it. yes it will turn your device back on, if the device is on and you put the power plug in and THEN turn your phone off, it does not restart.

hmm sorry for the misinformation then. I was speaking off of personal experience. I never thought about turning it off once it was plugged in. Did you happen to get the update as well New2u?

edit: Oh yes, turning mine off while on the charger doesn't work, the phone boots up as well. I just tried it. I just haven't done it ever since I first got the phone so I forgot about it.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

hmm sorry for the misinformation then. I was speaking off of personal experience. I never thought about turning it off once it was plugged in. Did you happen to get the update as well New2u?

edit: Oh yes, turning mine off while on the charger doesn't work, the phone boots up as well. I just tried it.

Nope i'm still on 2.0, I have always been able to turn my device off when it's got the plug in it. it's never booted back up unless I hit the power button again. Though if i put the power plug in while it's off it will turn back on. Hmm, very strange.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

edit: Oh yes, turning mine off while on the charger doesn't work, the phone boots up as well. I just tried it.

Nope i'm still on 2.0, I have always been able to turn my device off when it's got the plug in it. it's never booted back up unless I hit the power button again. Though if i put the power plug in while it's off it will turn back on. Hmm, very strange.

No idea then. I did what you do, by turning the phone off once it's plugged in. I did notice the charging light turns off as well, and about 5 seconds later my phone boots back up. Did this process twice just now. I'm not really concerned since other than that my phone runs normal and I never turn it off.

I believe the update is supposed to fix this correct?

OP
F

fwiw

Reaction score
And just to add my own experience: when the phone is plugged in and I turn it off it turns back on again. I'm on 2.0.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And just to add my own experience: when the phone is plugged in and I turn it off it turns back on again. I'm on 2.0.

Haha, guess we on the same boat. I'm running 2.0 as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guess i need to record it.. lol, i promise it does it on mine.

Well it shouldn't make any difference, but i got my Droid on release day. Considering the OP seems to have a newer Droid probably a software issue? I don't find it annoying really since my phone is on pretty much 24/7.

R

racklefratz

When I go to power off my Droid while its USB charger is plugged in, it shuts down and then immediately powers on again. If I power it off without the charger in, it shuts down fine. But then as soon as I plug in the charger the Droid powers on. Is this potentially some sort of hardware bug? Is there some sort of setting that might be causing this? Any other ideas?
"Other ideas R'US" here.

Your characterization "while its USB charger is plugged in" is ambiguous. The device comes with a 110v charging "wall wart", into which a USB charging cord is attached. Is your question about charging from 110v, or disconnecting the USB cable from the wall wart and charging from a USB port?

If the former, my experience is that the phone can't be powered off. If it's off, it will come back on. If the latter, and the phone is on when connected to a USB port, I am able to power the phone off, and it will remain off during charging. YMMV.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well i update to 2.0.1 and when the phone is in the wall charger, i turn it off and will turn back on after a couple of seconds. Same deal when i put it in my multimedia dock. However, when plugged into the PC the phone turns off and stays off. My phone is on 24/7, but for those who turn it off for whatever, this could be annoying.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Spoke to the folks over at Motorola today and this is one issue that the rep said they were wanting to take care of with the update here in a couple of days....SMS and MMS items were also discussed to be updated...Can't Wait!!! Some of you have been waiting a little while now....