Droid with strongest features 3/2011?

awoodby

Reaction score
I don't get this. It seems people keep saying "the best droid is opinion", aside from whether you want a physical keyboard or not, these are smartphones, there's not that much subjective about them is there? This isn't a car or something where opinions matter that much?

I mean, isn't this question a fair one, what current droid has the best features?

I mean zero offense toards any person here, just the vast variety of android devices is exactly the thing that's kept me on my hated iPhone for the past probably 6 months. All the maker's marketing keeps using adspeak, rather than just straightforward, give me the facts!

processor speed
battery life (ok, probably bs, but it's SOME sort of measure)
screen size
camera power
OS Level

What other items SHOULD I be putting together to compare? One thing I keep reading about is manufacturers basically dropping support for the device the day it's released, ie no more OS updates :(

HOw about stuff like Tethering, is that a standard, or do only some devices do it? Anything else you wonderful people can tell me to look out for?

OR, can someone just tell me what the latest and greatest IS featurewise. The hundreds of reviews I've read are always outdated :(

Thanks!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thunderbolt should be out this month and its the most powerful fastest droid on Verizon. now whether or not its the best thats up for debate. (just because something is the fastest doesnt automatically make it the best)

Nerelda

Reaction score
I completely understand your frustrations. I have come across the same issue on several topics and even though one may say they would like to hear from the users who have had their phones for a while and why or why not they would recommend it, it seems that many are just incapable of posting the pros and cons on the original question.

(now, please don't go getting unnerved about this, it's just an observed opinion.)

(OP: on another note, why do you hate your iphone so much? I would love to know this as I have people telling me I should get that instead of an android.)

OP
A

awoodby

Reaction score
Just reading about the Thunderbolt, that DOES sound like my piece of pie thanks :)

Nerelda: now, realize I'm taking my life in my hands probably talking iPhone on here ;)

The iPhone... It's smooth and well shaped, the UI IS much more userfriendly than what I've seen out of a droid. Available apps are IMMENSE (TOO immense, and there's no real way to go through them intelligently, so the list may as well be 1% of what actually exists by the way) Battery life is great on my 3g.

Now negatives... MAIN one, the phone has gotten incredibly slow! Now, i know, I do have an old model. But is there ANY reason it now takes 10 seconds to open up the notepad app?? What's changed?? Our theory (wife and I both have a 3g) is that they've intentionally induced slowdowns in older models to force upgrades. Also, if you want to do ANYTHING outside of Apple's "approved methods", you're violating. Apple tries to come off like "think differently"... but they're the most fascist corp IN the computer/smartphone market lol. Their slogan should be "do it our way or not at all" lol.

That was getting too philosophical, sorry. I mean, customization options are limited, tethering's not allowed, you can't even add on real ringtones (gotta buy songs at their store... I don't WANT a song, I want a CLOWN HORN dangit!!!)

Now admittedly, mine's hacked, and I DO have clown horns (convert to aac format, rename m4r, put on phone viola)

Mainly: my volume UP button is broken. And there's no way aside from manually editting config files every time someone hits the "down", to get call volume back up. So every couple days I have to hack into the phone, edit an obscure file, just to be able to hear, so it's time to upgrade :)

YOu: if you aren't a super geek that wants to be able to customize a million things, the iPhone MAY be a better choice. It certainly works and is smooth to operate. Me, I'm intrigued by all the things I can supposedly do with a droid to customize it, not to mention tethering, faster processor so stronger apps, oh, AND THE ABILITY TO NEVER USE ITUNES AGAIN IN MY LIFE!!! lol

Nerelda

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that insight on the info. Tethering or some sort of hotspot capability is a must for my job and thus reinforces my choice to not go that route (not to mention having to buy songs through them...YUCK!)

Oh and the clown horn...I totally LMFAO'd at the mind imagery of an iphone user walking around with an actual clown horn.

You gave me some really excellent feedback and it has certainly been appreciated.

GOON

Reaction score
i have verizon iphone jailbroken so i get free tethering...
i still like android or my droid 1 better, but iphone is just sexy

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Thunderbolt should be out this month and its the most powerful fastest droid on Verizon. now whether or not its the best thats up for debate. (just because something is the fastest doesnt automatically make it the best)

The Thunderbolt is not a Droid.

sc4fpse

Reaction score

The thunderbolt is anDROID so yea it is technically a Droid it may not be "the Droid" by moto but still a droid

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

No, you're incorrect. Android is an operating system. Droid is a marketing brand. Android phones are (not necessarily) "Droids."

The only "Droid" phones are as follows:

Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid Bionic

That is it. The HTC Thunderbolt is NOT a "Droid" phone.

ballmore

Reaction score

The thunderbolt is anDROID so yea it is technically a Droid it may not be "the Droid" by moto but still a droid

No, you're incorrect. Android is an operating system. Droid is a marketing brand. Android phones are (not necessarily) "Droids."

Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid Bionic

Why does is matter? Everyone knows what the person ment when they called the Thunderbolt a Droid. I have friends with phones on Sprint, Us Cellular, T-Mobile, Carolina West, and (gasp) AT&T and I never care when they call there Android phones "Droids." One friend even went as far as downloading the Droid alert sound for his HTC Desire so he could use it for his sms alerts. I think that it is cool that Verizon has helped make Android stick in people's heads that much. That is great marketing. DROID!!!!!! :)

hyperlite456

Reaction score

Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid Bionic

I was going to completely disagree and say that half of android users already nickname their android phones "droid" so why does it matter, but I agree. By telling someone you have a droid, it may sound cooler than android like you're giving it a nickname, but it makes it sound like part of the actual droid lineup when it's not. That doesn't mean half of android users don't already do it, but I guess they just want to feel as special as MOTO DROID users when it came out November 09 :)

sc4fpse

Reaction score

Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid Bionic

I was going to completely disagree and say that half of android users already nickname their android phones "droid" so why does it matter, but I agree. By telling someone you have a droid, it may sound cooler than android like you're giving it a nickname, but it makes it sound like part of the actual droid lineup when it's not. That doesn't mean half of android users don't already do it, but I guess they just want to feel as special as MOTO DROID users when it came out November 09 :)

The point I was trying to make is that, no, the Thunderbolt is not "technically a Droid."

patfactorx

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global is not only the highest clock speed but your only choice if you travel