Droid with multiple gmail accounts...

xfireguru

Reaction score
If this is the wrong forum, then I apologize. Please move accordingly.

I've currently got two gmail accounts synced with my droid. Is there a way to differentiate between them in my phone's contacts?

I only really need it for email purposes...For example if I'm attempting to email a contact from gmail account A, then I'd expect the email to be sent from that account - The same holds true for account B.

As it is right now, all email is trying to be sent through the primary gmail account on my phone.

Perhaps there's a contact replacement app or maybe I'm just missing a setting?

Thanks in advance.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is certainly an interesting issue.

Adding a custom 'From' address - Gmail Help

You've probably been there already, if you haven't then go there. As it's described in there in Gmail's From box you can have a drop down to select how you want the mail sent after you do whatever set up is required.

So the next thought is, hmmm, does the Droid have a drop down window? I'm thinking that it should but I don't do this so I'm not certain.

So set it up like it says in the link I included and check it out on your Droid. And if you get it working, please come back and let us know.

Oh and I believe that the K9 app will allow you to do this as well, but I'm not certain. You may want to check that out too.

Last edited:
OP
xfireguru

xfireguru

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, hook. I had actually read that article on google about the custom From: field. It doesn't seem to pertain to the native gmail app on the phone, however.

I'll look into K9. I haven't played much with it.

It just seems to me that the phone should somehow say "oh, this is a contact associated with X gmail account, so perhaps I should send email from that address."

I did find, however, that emails sent from the contact list will automatically be sent from whichever email account is currently active in the native app.

EDIT:

K-9 allows you to have multiple identities to associate with various email accounts and switching between them is easy. It still doesn't quite achieve my goal, but it's a little better.

Last edited: