Droid with bad ESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
If i buy a droid on ebay that says its locked from the carrier with a bad ESN, and swap out the motherboard and screen into my droid, will i be able to activate it on my account? Or will it look like its the locked phone to Verizon.

Cloppy

Reaction score
i would think the esn is stored on a chip in the motherboard somewhere. so just using the case and the screen would work i would think.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Wait, you want to put the bad esn into your shell?

I think that wouldn't work out. I an assuming the esn is tied to the motherboard. But that's my guess.

At least this is a bump if nothing else.

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, would like to replace all internals i can, as i sent mine thorugh the washing machine last weekend, its working, but has a few issues. Might call verizon on this.

I assumed the phone info is stored on the main board, but wasnt sure if that would stop me from activating it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why mess with replacing a motherboard? Send the thing back to ebay or tell the seller to get his act together. Or did you buy a really cheap Droid knowing the ESN was locked (hence the cheapness)?

OP
hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Oh no, i havent purchased yet, researching my options before i do. And yeah, they go cheaper that way. The current motherboard i have is working okay, but i have a constant red LED on even when powered off, gets annoying, and it of course doesnt notify me of calls/txts etc. Need the screen because this one is all messed up looking.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sorry but any discussion of changing ESN's are not permitted in the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.