Droid & Wireless N

huskur

Reaction score
strange.....i have a d-link rangemax N router and have my network on exlusive "N" with guest access of B and G. I turned the b and g off and i connect fine and my speeds from speedtest.net are double. strange

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
How do guys see the connection speed for the droid? I don't see it in my router settings or on the phone.

bastosero

Reaction score
I believe it has something to do with the frequency. If it's 2.4, some of the g adapters out there will be compatible with n routers. Think of it this way, if you have 3 computers that are all using g adapters that are built-in (just like the Droid's) and you bought an n router (a lot of people don't know what g or n is anyway), they wouldn't be able to connect. So, I believe they just made some of the g adapters to be compatible with n routers, but they just won't be able to use the same speed if they were using n adapters in the first place.

bastosero

Reaction score
By the way, have you researched or found out what the Droid specifically is using inside of it? If we could find that out, we could probably search for some more information about it.

DavePDX

Reaction score
How do guys see the connection speed for the droid? I don't see it in my router settings or on the phone.

The terminology may vary a bit by brand but if you log on to your router there normally is a status page somewhere in the menu structure. On this page or pages you should be able to see which devices are connected to your wireless router/bridge/access point. In my case there is a specific page for "Wireless" status. On that page there is a "Mode" column. In my case in order to know which device is which I have to know the MAC address of my Droid. I can read across the row for the Droid MAC address and see that the device indicates a Mode of "11n". I know that this report can be false because I've connected a wireless-G device before and seen that when configured as mixed Wireless-N and -G mode the wireless bridge/AP will only report a Wireless-N mode of connection.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
I believe it has something to do with the frequency. If it's 2.4, some of the g adapters out there will be compatible with n routers. Think of it this way, if you have 3 computers that are all using g adapters that are built-in (just like the Droid's) and you bought an n router (a lot of people don't know what g or n is anyway), they wouldn't be able to connect. So, I believe they just made some of the g adapters to be compatible with n routers, but they just won't be able to use the same speed if they were using n adapters in the first place.

Tat would be true in mixed mode, but not N only. If it were other b/g devices should also be able to connect, and they don't. Only the Droid can. I haven't been able to figure out what is in it. I know I've seen it on here before, but I can't find it now.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score

The terminology may vary a bit by brand but if you log on to your router there normally is a status page somewhere in the menu structure. On this page or pages you should be able to see which devices are connected to your wireless router/bridge/access point. In my case there is a specific page for "Wireless" status. On that page there is a "Mode" column. In my case in order to know which device is which I have to know the MAC address of my Droid. I can read across the row for the Droid MAC address and see that the device indicates a Mode of "11n". I know that this report can be false because I've connected a wireless-G device before and seen that when configured as mixed Wireless-N and -G mode the wireless bridge/AP will only report a Wireless-N mode of connection.

Mine doesn't tell me anything like that. Simply what is connected. It doesnt even break down the type of connection. It's a WRT160N. I am going to flash with a different firmware though and maybe I'll be able to tell more.

R

rainabba

This ought to shed some light on the subject.

I'm working on a new kernel for ZeusDroid (Desire SenseUI port to Droid) and while looking into the init.rc I found some things that led to an accidental find:

Droid supports Wireless N!?! <-- LINK

bruceduhamel

Reaction score
Hello,
I think the Droid wireless is N in the hardware but only B&G are active. I have two access points setup for G and N only access so I just keep my Droid on the G one.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Cool...well then at least I know I'm not crazy and have an answer other than "it must be in mixed mode." The hardware supports N so it's probably able to communicate and negotiate down the the G speed. It would be cool for someone to figure out how to enable the N speeds if only when plugged in to a power source. Then we need a bit torerent client for the phone and I'm all set!

deputc26

Reaction score
I'm working on a new kernel for ZeusDroid (Desire SenseUI port to Droid) and while looking into the init.rc I found some things that led to an accidental find:

Droid supports Wireless N!?! <-- LINK

That same link also points out why N isn't actually used to its full potential on the Droid, it's a power hog.

This, most new smartphones have the hardware to support N but don't because it drops a hammer on bat life.

nphil

Reaction score
Well this was something I didn't know. My Droid appears to be connecting at N speeds after forcing my router to broadcast in N only mode. Speedtest results also vary by a margin!

I'm pretty amazed at how good the aging (relatively) hardware on the Droid is!

DigitalMiami

Reaction score
I'm getting 5 Megs speeds on my Droid definitely connected to N...the improvement of the range and quality of the signal is evident. This could have been a last minute addition to the hardware by Motorola just before the start of their advertisement campaign. :motdroidhoriz: