Droid will not charge past 30% & running HOT! Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JDROIDS, Feb 19, 2010.

1. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Hi. First I want to say that these forums are great as is the whole site. Thank you to everyone who has posted such great info. I have been a Droid owner since the launch date and have been loving it. I am rooted and running Sholes 2.0.5 and WAS overclocked to 1 GHZ but lowered it down to 800 MHZ and now 600 because of these issues.

My phone will not charge past 30% and is running very hot (140 F) all the time. I can leave it charging for hours and it will not charge over 30%. I tried my car charger and the wall charger (USB) and still nothing. In fact today while plugged into the wall (USB) charger it went down from 30% to 20% with no major apps running. Both the on screen charger indicator and the white side charging light are on.

I searched to find related topics for an hour or so but I found nothing exactly like this so I am hoping someone here can lead me in the right direction as to how to solve this. I have killed just about every app with task killer, turned off Bluetooth and taken just about every other measure I can think of to conserve batt life but this still does not make sense to me. I also tried restarting and a batt pull.

Maybe I need a new Battery?

I hope I didn't leave any info out.

Thanks.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Did you set up your profiles and fail safe on the battery in SetCPU? I didn't do that and had the same issue.
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Moved to hacking help.
  4. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Yes, I set them up and have had them set up for a while now and this suddenly started yesterday. The only thing I have done differently around the time of this problem starting was to download the Temp Monitor from the Market, and to download the voice command keyboard. I since uninstalled the keyboard (I am sure it wasn't the cause but I had to try something else).

Any shot it could be the battery?

Thanks for the quick response by the way.

Sorry, didn't know that I should post under hacking help. Thank you.
  5. hookbill

Hmmm...Not certain, I thought for sure it was in your profiles. Did you check your battery to see if any app is sucking the life out of it in your about phone/battery info?
  6. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Okay the Battery info looks like this...

Voice Calls 49%
    Display 35%
    Android System 10%
    Android OS 4%
    Cell Standby 2%
    Phone idle 2%

I think that looks about right, correct?

Thanks for cluing me in to this screen. I didn't know about this. Damn Noobs. :)

My profiles are set very similar to those I have sen and I have even changed the governor to conservative and deselected "Set on Boot" because I read in other posts that this could save the battery life. Either way I doubt that is the issue.

Glad I could present somewhat of a challenge to you guys. I do appreciate the help though either way. I am thinking of picking up another Battery.

Could I have fried something in the CPU?
  7. hookbill

Nope, your display should be the one hogging the battery. Unless you do an awful lot of calling. Have you tried simply resetting the phone and seeing if that doesn't stop this?
  8. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

I'll try resting it. I have it plugged into yet another charger now. I took out the battery and let it sit for a while so it cooled off. It is now charging and went from 15% to 20% so at least it is going in the right direction.

I'll let you know what happens and if it finally takes a full charge. I will say it has been on this charger for about 3 mins and it is pretty hot. Don't know why it is getting so hot charging.

If it doesn't get past 30% I'll just leave the phone alone for a while but just so you know I do not do a ton of calling and I recharge my phone at least every night and sometimes twice per day.

Thanks again.
  9. hookbill

Then there is no way that your calls should be that high. Display is always the main user of the battery. Maybe that thing is making calls and you don't know it.:)
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

My battery usage for 'voice calls' is usually the top consumer after a lengthy call or a couple calls.... It's the only thing that I've found that uses more battery than the display
  11. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Not sure what I should do. Leaving it alone now. I took it off the charger because it VERY hot to the touch now and was only at 20% running at 250GHZ. Makes no sense to me.

IF I have to exchange this thing could I just use the SMUpdater to go back to sholes 2.0.1 (unrooted)? Would that delete any evidence of root (aside from uninstalling the programs affiliated with rooted Droid phones)?

By the way I can not access the list of apps on ES File explorer all of a sudden. Also, when I click on SM Updater it says Error. This is getting worse by the min.

Think I can exchange it?
  12. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

sounds like battery, although i'm far from an expert. you should pick one up, and if it wasn't the battery it's good to have a spare anyway. My two cents..
  13. hookbill

It says error on SM updater? Holy crap. Well, there is a way to unroot it manually. If you can't remove the root using SM updater you'll have to do it that way.

I just went back to stock last night. When you remove the root all you have to do is remove set cpu and there is no evidence that it was rooted. Well, maybe on your SD card but I wouldn't worry about that.
  14. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

If a battery pull and a reboot didn't fix your issues I would suggest going back to stock.

When we install these overclock ROMs they are overclocking the system via software, not hardware. OCing with hardware hasn't been done, I don't think (someone correct me if that's wrong).

Anyways, you might have corrupted your install somehow. And since we don't know long term effects of overclocking and considering every CPU is minutely different, I would remove that OC ROM now.

After you get that off your phone, battery pull, reboot then attempt a recharge.

If that doesn't work, at least your back at stock and take the thing in.
  15. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

JDroid, i hope you get it fixed man. Yea, if you unroot the manual way and still have problems, you might want to exchange it in. If you have to try playing with your phone real clumsy next to the toilet and "accidentaly" drop it in and you'll be able to exchange it and not worry about them finding about if you were rooted. Wierd how the Sholes unroot method isn't working?!?!

Do we have our first official Overclocking casualty?
Search tags for this page
droid 4 wont charge past 30
motorola droid 3 hot not charging above 20%
my phone wont charge past 20
my phone wont charge past 30
older droid that wont charge past 30%
phone wont charge over 30
phone wont charge past 20
phone wont charge past 20 percent

phone wont charge past 30

phone wont charge past 30%