1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid WiFi Mod - Rooted 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dedic761, May 26, 2010.

1. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

I've rooted my droid and have done nothing else to it. I have the superuser permission app and the terminal emulator app. Thats all i have done. I followed this tutorial on this forum,

(How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid)

Today i downloaded Rom manager in the app store and did a clockwork backup and now whenever i reboot in safe mode it takes me into the clockwork backup. This is no big deal, but I have already done a stock nandroid backup and also a rooted backup with sprecovery when i rooted my phone.

I uninstalled the rom manager app and i rebooted in safe mode after this and the clockwork backup still comes up, not the sp recovery.

Is there a reason for this?

I downloaded rom manager so i could install a kernel the easy way (or so does the video on youtube say) and i didnt like the app so i uninstalled it.

I am trying to download the right kernel so i can run wifi tethering. Thats all, I dont want any custom roms or anything else. I just rooted my phone so i can run wifi tethering, and thats all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, nick
  2. gardobus

gardobus New Member

That is because Rom Manager flashes the Clockwork Recovery. To get back to SPR, reinstall Rom Manager, then scroll down and choose "Flash Alternate Recovery".

Once you are done with that, you can uninstall RM and you'll have SPR again.
  3. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

Ok thanks Gardobus.

I've searched the forums and I cant find a crash course in how to download kernels and load them onto your phone.

All i need to do is find the right kernel for wifi tethering and thats it.

thanks for your help.

Nick
  4. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

just go into the Cyanogen mod section of rom manager and flash the p3droid roms they are listed as usable with all roms
  5. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

Thanks guys. I got it first try.

Nick
  6. gardobus

gardobus New Member

TekHawk, he isn't running CyanogenMod though. He is just stock rooted. I'm not 100% sure that the P3Droid/bekit kernels will work for him.

Dedic761, look around the forum for someone else's kernels (ChevyNo1 or Adamz for example). They make good kernels that come in update.zip form. So all you do is put it on your sdcard, boot into recovery, choose Install > Allow and then Install Update.zip

Edit: Okay, glad it worked. Wasn't sure because the CM kernels are slightly different. Non-CM kernels don't work with CM so I thought it may be true in the opposite direction. Luckily I was wrong. :)
  7. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

Thanks guys.

It worked well! I just reinstalled rom manager and loaded the cyanogenmod kernels and that was it. phone rebooted and my wifi tether works great!!!

Also - When i am in rom manager, i can choose a custom rom. I know that a rom is pretty much the layout of your phone, but is it self explanitory when you do this? Or is it not for a newbie?

Thanks for your help

Nick
  8. gardobus

gardobus New Member

It is fairly self explanatory but there are a few things to keep in mind.

If you install a ROM, you'll have to wipe your phone. Rom Manager will do this for you but make sure you write down / backup your list of apps so you can reinstall them later. Also make sure to backup things such as Notes programs, SMS (if you care), etc. Your contacts, calendar, and email should all be sync'd to google already, so don't worry about those. Also, ROMs don't touch your SD card so don't worry about anything on there, it is safe.

Also, to be safe, when flashing a new ROM, ALWAYS choose the "Backup Current ROM" option. This way if you forgot to back something up, it is still saved in a full backup. Also, if you don't like the ROM for some reason, you can go back to your current setup in minutes!

And to clarify a little, it doesn't really change the layout much. Some ROMs will theme your phone but the layout stays the same. Most ROMs are useful for tweaks, options, and code differences. Take CyanogenMod for example. Here are a few things that I like about the ROM:

- Change tracks in Music by holding Vol keys when phone is locked
    - Change "User Agent" in browser settings (make websites think you are on a Desktop computer)
    - Change the number of "recent apps" that appear when holding the Home key
    - Wired Tether built in
    - Change LED color, blink rate, vibrate pattern, font, color, etc in stock Messages app
    - 360* screen rotation
    - Apps2SD (install apps to sd card instead of internal memory)
    - PIN lock
    - More settings in Dialer
    - Can change the color of all text in the notification bar and clock (can also remove clock)

Etc. So it isn't just layout, roms can do a lot of cool stuff :)

Hope that helped, I started rambling a little.
  9. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Yup the P3Droid ones are universal though it might only work with 2.1 and CM builds but they are not CM exclusive ones
  10. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

ok thanks for the help guys!!!

Ill let you know how everything goes.

Thanks Nick
  11. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

Everything is working great! I had to do a nandroid restore about a week ago cause my battery was dying on me super quick. I couldnt figure out why. Its working perfect now. Thanks for everyones help.

Nick
  12. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

OK phone has been working great! Except my speaker went out again! I have to call verizon and get a replacement. What do i have to do to unroot my phone to put it all back to stock to send it back to verion?

Nick
  13. Dedic761

Dedic761 New Member

Anyone know how to do this???
Search tags for this page
can i root lg chocolate touch? -unlock forum
droid wifi tweaker mod

droidwifi download

droidwifihack android
lg chocolate hack
lg chocolate touch hacks
root lg chocolate