1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid WIFI hotspot(kinda)...without root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BartJJ, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BartJJ

BartJJ New Member

ok so earlier today i figured out quite possibly the easiest way to do root on the moto droid...its pretty idiot proof but sadly, there are a few requirements that you need but if you meet them, most of you will, then here is the quickest and easiest way to do it...
    1)laptop (could do it with a desktop idk y though)with a wireless card or something of the sort... RUNNING WIN 7 ONLY!!!!!(wont work otherwise although you can still tether through usb)
    2)droid (duhh) with pdanet installed
    3)usb cables (again..duh)
    4)2 files:
    1st)PDA net (download the version that applies for you from PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android im using vista 32 bit and it works fine not sure about xp or 64 bit, comments appreciated on this :))
    ALSO DOWNLOAD THE APP FROM THE ANDROID MARKET ON YOUR PHONE!!!!!
    2nd) this is the reason you need windows 7 its only for win 7 sadly (i suppose its possible that they could release an earlier version later on idk) the program is called Connectify and you can download it from here: Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi Hotspot - Download it asks you for your email and your name but it only requires the email address it doesnt matter you dont need to register it or anything so you can put in a fake one :) installation on both programs is pretty straight forward (thx to the guys that made them (insert thumbs up)

now that you downloaded the files and installed them here is the instructions:
    first, start pdanet on your phone do this by either going into its settings and enabling it or you can just put the widget on your homescreen which is the easiest way to do it
    now enable USB debugging located at settings, applications, development, USB debugging
    next you plug in your phone while pda net is running on your computer (should be one of the small icons on the right that shows a internet explorer like icon) and click on pda net and click connect... now you have enet on your laptop but your laptop only.
    next step: start connectify once you have it up and running (i had a little trouble just keep trying) once you have it up go here and follow the directions Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi Hotspot - Frequently Asked Questions (better them explain it than me) once you do this your done, your laptop is now pulling internet from your android device/droid and in doing so it is using its wifi card to send out secure wifi :) dont you love technology and the plus to doing this versus the wifi from your droid you ask? well you basically have no chance of bricking your device && your droid will charge while its sending enet (how cool is that?)

Hopefully, tomorrow i may have a video up but please put all input into this that you guys may think would be easier and a bluetooth guide would be nice for the people that might use it (my laptop is pretty old and has no bluetooth so i cant exactly do it)
  2. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Why?

you're tethering your droid to the laptop, then looping it back to the droid through wifi.

Sure a second laptop can now access via wifi, but for all that trouble i'd just root and apply the wireless tethering kernel. just easier.
  3. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

What's the difference between your method and simply using PdaNet? I don't have a rooted Droid yet with PdaNet, I'm able to tether my Droid to my laptop and it works great. What benefit is there to doing it your way?
  4. BartJJ

BartJJ New Member

the reasoning for doing this is for the people that might not want to root their device but may be on the road with some other people that have devices that work off wifi-aka ipods/ other laptops this enables you to share your wifi... & rooting and installing kernels is a little higher on the scale when it comes to how long it takes and how easily it can be done- also this methode has no chance of bricking your device, doing the wifi hack does... its just an alternative to doing the wifi hack until there is an easier way of doing it for the average user(like myself) i have no expierence with android previously so id prefer to use this to send wifi to my friends ipods and such if we need it at one of their houses or something of the sort than risk bricking my device and paying for a new one :(

Also- this isnt to give your droid wifi its to give other devices wifi (such as other laptops) while keeping yours connected to the enet also... if your by yourself and you have no need for wifi just use pda net dont bother with connectifiy ;)
  5. IVIystic

IVIystic New Member

Nice work dude.

This is a good implementation of an easy idea that multiple people can benefit from at any time. Good post, I digg it.

PS - Its this kind of innovation to be the reason why I joined this forum. =P
  6. jtludwig

jtludwig New Member

Don't most versions of Windows include internet connection sharing? I use PDANET, my Netbook with Windows XP...and I use it to create a WIFI hotspot all the time to share the connection.
  7. m21knight

m21knight New Member

I'm not sure why there are so many seemingly negative posts here...this is a really elegant solution to a very common problem. The great part is that this does not require advanced "hacking" to impliment. If all you need is to port connectivity to another device this probablly isn't the solution, but don't hate if its not your preffered solution.
  8. Dave Droid

Dave Droid New Member

Yeah this is exactly what I was doing before I decided to root my phone and use the Sholes ROM which makes it easy to install the WiFi Tether.
  9. BartJJ

BartJJ New Member

ive actually been using the wifi hotspot hack now i just used this until i understood enough about adb and such to be using it as most should so they dont brick their phones... I'm use to the streamline iphone experience with cydia when it comes to installing 3rd party apps and i really wish that they would make a cydia like store for android that would be specifically for hacks such as this one (i guess there really isnt a need though since we are open source) but either way id highly reccomend using this until you watch plenty of videos on how to use things such as adb on your device...
    --------------------------------side note---------------------------
    for those of you that may be struggling with installing the adb drivers on windows 7 RC3 like i did i highly reccomend installing pdanet because it automatically installs those drivers for you ;)
  10. Dave Droid

Dave Droid New Member

Yeah I just recently started using the WiFi tether hack also.

The Sholes ROM makes it incredibly easy and installs it for you. All you need is to root, install BusyBox, Nandroid and install the ROM.
  11. buzzdar

buzzdar New Member

If anyone wants to help me root my droid and turn it into a wireless hotspot let me know ill take any help
  12. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

Download that, it will have SP recovery on it.

Download a nandroid compatible backup, like Pete's [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.9 ESE53 (Options Gallore!)!)

Restore it through Nandroid

Then grab the .APK for wifi tether.

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

One more thing, just as a rule, never post your email on a website, crawlers will grab it and spam the hell out of you.
  13. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

This is a great alternative that not many people know about but has been achievable in windows for a long time.

I thank the op for bringing this to peoples attention; for those who don't want to root.

I did this other night, but just linked the lap tops with an ethernet cable.

The connection isn't great perse for downloading, but it's decent for web browsing.
Search tags for this page
create a wifi hotspot on android

droidwifi

free wifi hotspot app for android without rooting

give off wifi workout root
how to make pdanet usb work with connectify

how to use pdanet as a wifi hotspot

pdanet connectify hotspot
pdanet hotspot on win xp
pdanet wifi hotspot android
rooting hotspot explain
turn android into hotspot without root