Droid Wi-Fi tether, luck with playing PC games online?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drunkalien6, Feb 22, 2010.

1. drunkalien6

drunkalien6 New Member

Hey everyone!

I have not done the WiFi Tether hack, but before I do. Id like to know if you can play PC games online, games like Counter-stike Source, Left 4 Dead, Lord of The Rings Online, World of Warcraft, etc.

If you have played any games online could you tell me!
  2. Boni2k

Boni2k New Member

Well yes, you COULD. However it's unplayable online. That's because you have (or I think you do) a network connection to a sattelite (3G, EDGE, whatever) which boosts up your network ping. You will lag. Just open up cmd in Windows, type ping www.google.com once with usual network conenction, once through your WiFi Tether and you'll see the big difference. Thus it's unplayable.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  3. drunkalien6

drunkalien6 New Member

I can use my BlackBerry Storm to play games online i get about a 120ms ping which is perfectly playable. Thats through USB connection.

I am just wondering if the WiFi adds a lot of latency.

Also with PdaNet for the BlackBerry it cant recognize/access the dedicated servers, so I am also trying to make sure that the WiFi tether doesn't have that problem. (Yes I am using a registered version of PdaNet so thats not why it wont access the servers)
  4. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

It's actually not too bad. I played TF2 with WiFi tether on Steam and games were very low ping (around 35-50) and I never had any jumps or skips.
  5. bmdtech

bmdtech New Member

I have played the following games using tethering with no problems. Everquest 2, Warhammer online, Dungeons and Dragons online, WOW, COD MW2. With PDA net not all work because PDA net uses Microsoft active sync to create the link to the phone modem and active sync blocks all UDP traffic. So a few games that use UDP only will not work. DDO did not work with PDA net which is why I went to the tether option instead of PDA net. Depending on how far from your tower you will see between 50 MS and 250 MS ping times. For MMO's this is perfectly playable ping, for FPS games 250 is pretty rough.
  6. mr_goodwrench

mr_goodwrench New Member

Wifi tethering is one of the things that I am really excited about with the Droid (still awaiting the phones...) Long car trips will be much quieter with my daughter online in the backseat on her netbook!
  7. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Sorry, I just hate hearing this. Road trips use to be about bonding as a family and sharing deep conversations, laughs, and experiences. Now it's all about what electronic device we can distract our kids with for long enough.

/rant
  8. bL33d

bL33d Member

new app on market i aint tried as i have cable but liek having backup case it goes down.

Its called easy tether i believe check it out.
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I leave my kids at home.....:D
  10. mr_goodwrench

mr_goodwrench New Member

I probably should have been more specific: I'm talking more about the 16 hour (not including stops) drive between Upstate NY and Atlanta. We actually spend lots of family bonding time, but sometimes a 7 yo needs something else to distract from the looong ride. That is where being able to play a few games online or play at Webkinz World would come in very handy. I do agree that there is not enough family interaction today with all the gadgets out there, but we try to balance that out with our daughter.
Search tags for this page

2000 latency playing online games using wireless tether

can i game on a tethered connection

can iplay mmo via verizon tethering

can you play an mmo tethered to a phone

can you play games online with tethering

cant play online games with tethering

cant play online with phone teathering

easy tether no ping cant play online game

how do you play games online using tether

how do you play online using tether

possable to play online games with wifi tether