Droid warranty expiration

tameone

Reaction score
Thinking about putting in a warranty claim on my OG Droid.. My speaker crackles a lot now and my power button broke (doesn't click any more). Purchased Nov 6, 2009, I thought it had a 1 year warranty.. but entering my SN on Moto's site, it says my warranty expires in Jan, 2011. Does that sound right?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Jan 2010? Or are you displeased that your warranty is more than 12 months?

OP
T

tameone

Reaction score
I mean 2011, so no I'm not displeased.. Just curious why it's longer than 12 months because then I wouldn't have to rush at all to get the claim in.

cpjr

Reaction score
If you have a valid issue with the phone, then why not just go ahead and send it in?

Rated_R

Reaction score
Do you have insurance through verizon? An agent at the local store I go to says that the insurance extends your time.

OP
T

tameone

Reaction score
Ok perhaps that is the reason then. Thanks

_Killer_

Reaction score
Hmmm... I don't think it's ins... Maybe, verizon gives you a 1yr warranty, and moto gives you an extended warranty?

I just got my droid in july (maybe june??) out of no where my volume down stopped working.. and my CAMERA button became my volume down.. so i just had it replaced.. my replacement came in today and of course it's a refurb.. (which sucks but whatever i can't argue with that) bad thing is the slider is loose.. so i'm sending it back too.. :(

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you get a new phone, under your current warranty, does it then come with its own 1 yr warranty or if it breaks after 1-1-2011 are you all done?

If a replacement, certified like-new, gets its own warranty then that doesn't seem fair to those whose phones break after 11 months of owning them vs those whose phones break after 14 months of owning them.

_Killer_

Reaction score
If you get a new phone, under your current warranty, does it then come with its own 1 yr warranty or if it breaks after 1-1-2011 are you all done?

If a replacement, certified like-new, gets its own warranty then that doesn't seem fair to those whose phones break after 11 months of owning them vs those whose phones break after 14 months of owning them.

To my knowledge you get 1yr.. it does NOT renew just because you have a phone that is replaced by warranty.

That's what ins is for.. PLUS I think they give you at least 30 days of a warranty when you replace your phone under warranty.. so lets say you're at your 11.5 mark in your warranty and have a problem.. you have the phone replaced which only leaves you 15 more days to have your replacement BEFORE your standard 1yr warranty runs up.. I'm fairly certain they will honor at least 30 days.

OP
T

tameone

Reaction score
to check your droid warranty (left, 2/3rds down): DROID by Motorola Support - Motorola USA

SN under the battery.

christim, those are questions I had as well.. I can't imagine they wouldn't give you a small extension, perhaps 30 days as mentioned above.

I'm just worried about getting a crappy CLNR, and I want to ride it out as long as possible.. the problems with my Droid are things I can live with, and other than that, this Droid is awesome (it flies, runs super cool, etc).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of manufacturers automatically apply a warranty expiration based on date of manufacture. Usually the term is a bit longer than the stated warranty as product can sit around in warehouses, retail stores, etc. If the expiration date the manufacturer has on file is earlier than purchase date + actual warranty term you can provide proof of purchase to refute it.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
to check your droid warranty (left, 2/3rds down): DROID by Motorola Support - Motorola USA

SN under the battery.

christim, those are questions I had as well.. I can't imagine they wouldn't give you a small extension, perhaps 30 days as mentioned above.

I'm just worried about getting a crappy CLNR, and I want to ride it out as long as possible.. the problems with my Droid are things I can live with, and other than that, this Droid is awesome (it flies, runs super cool, etc).
This takes me to the Motorola Store page and I see link to check S/N.

OP
T

tameone

Reaction score

SN under the battery.

This takes me to the Motorola Store page and I see link to check S/N.

copy and paste the link into your browser. It does the same for me if I click it, but the link is correct, just not the redirect.