Droid wallpaper question.

jrl9851

Reaction score
I download wallpapers from the internet and then when I go to "set as wallpaper" it always makes me crop the picture to only take a part of it. Why is this? If i use an app like "backgrounds" it never makes me crop the picture, it always uses the entire picture.

lemodular

Reaction score
image resolution/size (proportions)- Droid is 854 X 480 (or something close to that)

zasran

Reaction score
Make sure you have proper resolution but even if you have the box comes up, no idea why. However you can move and resize the box (to the whole picture).

ero

lapya

Reaction score
I download wallpapers from the internet and then when I go to "set as wallpaper" it always makes me crop the picture to only take a part of it. Why is this? If i use an app like "backgrounds" it never makes me crop the picture, it always uses the entire picture.

here is my own solution: Smartphone Experience: Zoom problem while setting a photograph as wallpaper on Android OS

many times I found this issue quite annoying. Whenever you take a photo and decide to put whole of it onto your main screen you always come up with a magnified giant and cropped version of your photo when you hit the home button! Because android OS needs a 960*854 version to cover all homescreens, by default it is 3. So whenever you pinch to right or left it moves by 240 pixels! So here is the solution... I used irfanview as image editor and created two versions of my photo. 240*854 and 480*854. Then I used create panorama function and stitched 3 images horizontally, 240*854, 480*854 and 240*854 respectively, i used same shrinked version of my photo twice to put to the left and right wings of my original photo. Then when I pressed set as walpaper I finally managed to select whole of my original photo withour seeing cropped or crap version of it :) VOILA!<div style='clear: both; text-align: center; font-size: xx-small;'>Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5</div>

darknecrotic

Reaction score
can you post a picture of a wallpaper that you've done this with? I'd like to see it

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
many times I found this issue quite annoying. Whenever you take a photo and decide to put whole of it onto your main screen you always come up with a magnified giant and cropped version of your photo when you hit the home button! Because android OS needs a 960*854 version to cover all homescreens, by default it is 3. So whenever you pinch to right or left it moves by 240 pixels! So here is the solution... I used irfanview as image editor and created two versions of my photo. 240*854 and 480*854. Then I used create panorama function and stitched 3 images horizontally, 240*854, 480*854 and 240*854 respectively, i used same shrinked version of my photo twice to put to the left and right wings of my original photo. Then when I pressed set as walpaper I finally managed to select whole of my original photo withour seeing cropped or crap version of it :) VOILA!<div style='clear: both; text-align: center; font-size: xx-small;'>Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5</div>
All you need to do is ensure that the wallpaper's dimensions match what your device is expecting (or has the same ratio of dimensions). You don't need to create different versions, resize and stitch. If the ratio of the dimensions is correct you can just maximize the crop box to include the entire image. If the crop box is resized to include the entire image then no cropping is actually done and the image can be used at its full resolution (i.e. no "crap version"/pixellation/enlarging).

Last edited:

lapya

Reaction score
@takeshi,

As far as I know android os forces us to use an image file having a width of 960, for droid or milestone it should be 960 * 854 (w*h). So you need to trick your phone in order to avoid any crop from the original picture taken with the phone as I explained in above message and below part...

@all,

In portrait mode our droid/milestone's photos fill the whole screen thanks to its n fold of 480*854 resolution in portrait mode. (For landscape.mode it is another story) However android os wants you to choose a photo having at least 960*854 resolution (w*h) as wallpaper, that is why we cant see the whole picture, because our photos doesn't fit to that default requirement. So if you take a photo in portrait mode you should con the android os by providing above explained trick, just check below two images for a visual proof. In the first link, you shall find original photo taken with milestone in portraid mode which is shrinked to 480*854 res, in the second link with the above trick you shall find an image which is combined three versions of the very same photo, 240*854 + 480*854 + 240*854 = 960 * 854. When you use second image to set as wallpaper you will see the yellow box will fill the whole image thanks to its 960*854 res and when you hit the home button you'll see the original image will fill the homescreen. To see the difference use first image to set as wallpaper, you'll see how above and below parts disappear to fill it in a 960*854 size yellow box.

BTW, in order to see homescreen image whole time I use zeam launcher, it gives me an option to fix the homescreen number to 1 2 or 3 and etc. By fixing fix it to 1 the very originial photo fits to the homescreen, if you set it to 3 you should set 2nd homescreen as default homescreen to see the original image covers whole screen, you may also disable background wallpaper's move when you flick homescreen to left or right in order to fix your image stay at center...

Hope that helps...

2e6ae1e2-39e8-415e.jpg

2e6ae1e2-3417-a824.jpg

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums App

lapya

Reaction score
Nice template, much more better than mine :) Thanks for your appreciation mate...

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums App