Droid w/o contract

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
I need to know if i can use a droid as a " mini pc / tablet", on wifi. Is it powsible to use one of these on wofi wothout a contract. Thanks. Sent from iphone:(..

captain howdy

Reaction score
I believe so. I think the contract is for phone,texting and internet service. I think the wifi operates independently.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Certainly possible. It will still fully function over wifi, you just wont have mobile data. A lot of people have given them to their kids as an iTouch like device

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
So any phone is capable if the operation ( droid phone). what droid phones do you recommend inthe sub 200$ used ebay range? How much of q difference is dual core? Will i be able to use the applications store? Thanks.Thanks

Last edited:

TPX00

Reaction score
Droid 1 and 2

yes you can. I use my D2 without a contract now. cause I have a mini wifi that I carry around. pm me if you want all the details on how to do it

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Cool i qould love to know more. Also, if my phone breaks and i have insurrance, do you think i can trade it in for one of about the same price ?

REMilk

Reaction score
It becomes a Droidlet or a WiDroid! That is, I consider it a small-form factor WiFi tablet or a mini-tablet almost like a chicklet.

I upgraded from an OG Droid to a Droid 3. I still use my OG Droid as a wifi device.

1. Turn on airplane mode (this shots off all network seeking, including wifi and phone)
2. Turn on WiFi

I now use my OG Droid:
1. Email access (personal) - Gmail and other email systems
2. Corporate email & calendar (MS Exchange via Touchdown)
3. ebook reader and downloader (Nook, Kindle, and OverDrive [public library])
3. Music player, both for 'stored' content and streaming content.
4. Standalone GPS - I use a 3rd-party app that does not require Verizon service (Google Navigation does not work)
5. Games for me
6. Games for my 3-1/2 year old grandson.

Enjoys its functionality!
Bob

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Cool. Sorry for my seemingly bad grammar, typing on an iphone. I had a droid 3, but i traded it in for qn iphone ( big mistake). Anyways, what would you recommend as a sub 200$ used droid?

REMilk

Reaction score
Cool. Sorry for my seemingly bad grammar, typing on an iphone. I had a droid 3, but i traded it in for qn iphone ( big mistake). Anyways, what would you recommend as a sub 200$ used droid?

I only have experience with the OG Droid and now the Droid 3. I know my OG Droid functions well a Droidlet and I recommend it. Other phones within the Droid family I think will also work well. However, I can neither confirm nor deny this.

Bob

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a bigger screen? Do you need a keyboard? Is speed a big factor?

If I were to use this Droid as just a mini-tablet, I would personally choose the X or X2(if speed is really that important). Has a nice big screen and isn't too big to carry around as an extra device if you want. Fairly good battery life as well. As a mini-tablet, that's gotta be one of the best models imo, not heavy, big screen, thin, and fairly fast for the X and quite fast for the X2.

In my area the X goes for around $150 and the X2 can be found for around $250 on craigslist. So you're pretty much paying the difference of $100 for speed and updated OS.

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
Cool! I was thinkig about buying the x2. Do you think i could have two phones on the same line?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Cool! I was thinkig about buying the x2. Do you think i could have two phones on the same line?

I thought you wanted another phone to use without contract? This means no talk plan, data plan, or texting plan. In other words, your provider has no idea you own the phone and it is in no way tied to their network.

And even if you wanted this phone activated, you can't have two phones on the same line.

Last edited:

smiller136

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

What is the 3rd party app you use for GPS navigation?

Thanks!

It becomes a Droidlet or a WiDroid! That is, I consider it a small-form factor WiFi tablet or a mini-tablet almost like a chicklet.

I upgraded from an OG Droid to a Droid 3. I still use my OG Droid as a wifi device.

1. Turn on airplane mode (this shots off all network seeking, including wifi and phone)
2. Turn on WiFi

I now use my OG Droid:
1. Email access (personal) - Gmail and other email systems
2. Corporate email & calendar (MS Exchange via Touchdown)
3. ebook reader and downloader (Nook, Kindle, and OverDrive [public library])
3. Music player, both for 'stored' content and streaming content.
4. Standalone GPS - I use a 3rd-party app that does not require Verizon service (Google Navigation does not work)
5. Games for me
6. Games for my 3-1/2 year old grandson.

Enjoys its functionality!
Bob

OP
N

ncvikingx97

Reaction score
I did, and still do, just wondering. Is the droid x2 going to be compatible with any future uodates( past gingerbread. Do you guys like iphones? Thanks.